• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MS-6701 OEM for Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL

I got some at digi keyy got a few extras

Comment

I was hoping someone would post this for me, but I decided to do the leg work instead. Here is what's on the motherboard.

The black capacitors are the ones that are buldging on my motherboard. They are made by nichicon and there are three types:

6.3v 2200 mF (quantity: 5)
      6.3v 1500 mF (quantity: 1)
      16v 1500 mF (quantity: 4)

There are green capacitors that seem to be made by TEAPO (at least that's the only thing that looks like a company name)? These all appear to be healthy on my motherboard.

6.3v 1000 mF (quantity: 13)

Finally, there is a few brown ones that I can't find a company name on them. I see something starting with SEK. Maybe that is a clue? These also are healthy.

16v 470 mF (quantity: 2)
      25v 100 mF (quantity: 2)

Now I just need a good place to order them from.

Comment

PMmail Topcat, may be he can provide you, what you need. You should replace all quoted Nichicons, and i suggest those TEAPO caps too. Those smaler SEK ones i think are fine.

Comment

I have placed an order with topcat and I will be replacing all the black capacitors (Nichicon). I won't touch any of the green or brown ones for now because none of them are even bulging. Reading the FAQ I thought Nichicon was suppose to be good. What happened?

Also, if an admin sees this it would be nice if they replaced mF with uF. Apparently I can only edit a post 10 minutes after posting.

Comment

Yes, Nichicon are good stuff, but the HM (N) series made during (since till when???) 2003 are overfilled with elektrolyt due to fault in the production. Thus the HM (N) series are not that safe bet from that time. Those green and browns will probably never vent or bulge, but they are fore shure not in the best shape . But probably they aren`t at that important position, thus may be you will have no problems. But if you may be are getting Memtest erros or something like this in future, be shure to remind you on those. They are buggers, but i can understand that you want to save a few bucks, as those caps aren`t that cheap considering the value of this board. Any way, in personally fix everything i want to use for myself the best possible way, as i want stable systems as long as i keep the stuff. Pulling my board s from the case again for an other reason other than putting in new fancy stuff , is a nightmare fore me, as i usually need a long time to assemble it the perfekt way togehter again .

Comment

Add me to the unlucky owner of this computer and faulty mother board (most likely).
              I have had problems for last three months mainly my graphic card would not work.
              I put the new one it had random crashes.
              Got it replaced things were fine for a month and now random blank screens.
              I dont see any blown up capacitors but putting up 3rd new card did not change anything.
              I am not sure what to do?
              How to identify bad caps?
              Why bother changing few when others can in time break , may be i should try getting new mo bo.
              let me know your thoughts

Comment

If someone wanted detailed info on the motherboard it is available here...
                http://www.checkmark.dk/sa/pc.htm

Comment

On 11/29/2002, I also purchased a Medion Titanium MD 8000 XL from Aldi (for $899). Added 512 MB memory for $58 a week later. Have always been very content with my Medion.

I started to get power supply related issues, and ended up replacing my power supply on 7/23/2005 with a 350 watt power supply. Had issues with the card reader unit a couple of times. Uninstalling and installing usually resolved the problems. After a couple of times I unhooked it from my motherboard and didn't bother to hook it up again.

After upgrading from Norton AntiVirus 2005 to Norton AntiVirus 2006 in May 2006, my PC started to reboot intermittently several times a day. To capture the error, I'd temporarily unchecked Startup and Recovery setting 'Automatically restart'. The blue screen before the reboot showed an 'DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' error amongst with some other technical data. Booting the machine was also taking 3 times more time than before the upgrade.
                  Removing Norton AntiVirus 2006 from my system didn't solve the problem. Formatting my C: partition and reinstalling Windows XP didn't solve it either. I kept on getting the Blue Screen Of Death intermittently. The number of BSODs increased over time to several BSODs an hour.
                  Taking the whole machine apart and only plug in the bare minimum (motherboard, memory, hard disk) didn't stop the BSODs. Did memory tests and tried all kind of tricks. I noticed some dry brown/red clay substance on top of 3 capacitors next to each other. I scratched it off, but never thought that it could be related to the BSODs.
                  After a couple of weeks I gave up and bought a new Gateway with a dual-core AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor 3800+.

I really really liked my Medion, so during Christmas break I decided to give it another try. Of course again without success. While searching Google, I ran into this forum thread. (THANK YOU GUYS!) After reading through all the postings, I was convinced: bad capacitors were probably the cause of my BSODs!
                  Rather than trying to replace the capacitors, I searched for a motherboard replacement. Two weeks ago, I found a compatible motherboard at TigerDirect.com for only $49.99, a MSI PM8M-V Socket 478 Motherboard (http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=683). I never thought that I would ever be installing a motherboard, but it is actually pretty easy.
                  In the Medion Titanium MD 8000 XL, the processor fan is attached on top of the heat sink, and the heat sink is glued on top of the Pentium 4 processor. The processor with the attached heat sink didn't fit in the fan socket of the new motherboard. So I replaced the black fan socket of the new motherboard (remove the white plugs) with the black fan socket of the old motherboard (screws perfectly on the new motherboard).
                  The new motherboard is faster and has a lot more BIOS features.

I just checked TigerDirect.com, but they don't sell the motherboard that I just bought anymore. Instead they have a Biostar P4M80M4 for only $46.99 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati....asp?CatId=182).

Comment

The HSF is not glued to the CPU, it`s more like sticky thermal grease or more likely a thermal pad. You have to heat the cpu prior removing (e.g. by running Prime95 torture test or cpu test etc. an hour), than twistling sidwise until it comes slowly loos.
                    In my experience, if the PSu us early replaced ( after one year) the rig should be stable. I have installed a few of those, and all are running fine yet without a recap. But shure, they aren`t 24 /7 systems. As long as you don`t upgrade anything (except PSU) it could be stable.

Comment

Working...
                    X