Geforce 8600GT card with blown caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geforce 8600GT card with blown caps

3 years ago I built my own PC and I decided on going with an XFX Geforce 8600GT.

Yesterday morning I heard a popping sound while I was on my pc and a few hours later i started getting video problems. I knew right away it was my video card.

It has a few blown caps, but otherwise is in great condition. Unfortunately it was out of warranty so I couldn't get it replaced.

My only option is to buy a new card, which i found a 8400 GS for $30, which is literally all the money i had. Lucky me. I'm not happy cause specs are a little bit less than i had but I have no choice and need a new card right now. (I'm stuck on a really slow back-up machine right now until i get the new card)

Anyway, i figured that given my situation i could try to replace those blown caps. I have nothing to lose and it would be fun to give it a shot, and thats what brought me here.

I want to get a much better card later on but right now $100+ is not feasible.

While searching online for some answer about caps I seen alot of posts with people talking about the same problem with the same series of cards, 8600gt.
    Seems like the series is plagued with bad caps all around then.

Anyway I need to replace a total of 5 caps.

All caps are Silver. On the top, next to the info, the LEFT side has a blue strip.

2 caps say

FZ76
    16V

The other 3 say

FZ77
    6.3V

As I said i would like to take a shot at replacing them (as long as replacement caps aren't too expensive), but I know pretty much nothing about caps so this is why i need some help.

Any help would be appreciated

Also i'm confident in my soldering skills to attempt this lol.

Re: Geforce 8600GT card with blown caps

Yeah, XFX likes those crap Sacon FZ fake Polymers.
    So does EVGA and a bunch of others.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=Sacon+FZ

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Not sure of your location since it isn't in your profile, But XFX has a Double Lifetime Warranty on their Video Cards if shipped to them from North America.

Comment

Double Lifetime Warranty?

If you die and come back how do you prove you bought it in your last life?

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

PCBONEZ, Lifetime warranty rarely means your lifetime, but rather, the expected lifetime of the component

Goldencloud, What is the diameter on the 470uF caps? Could be either 8mm or 10mm
          If they are 10mm, these should work, or these for 8mm. For the other 1500s, use these
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That's not what it means on this side of the pond.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

Well from first hand dealings with XFX over the past 7 years. The Double Life Time Warranty is based on the component (The Double part means 2 different owners).
              If the part is pasts it's end life (meaning they no longer make it) they send you a equal or better (99% of the time its a upgrade) part based on the features it had and its speed.

Over the past 7 years I have sent in like 7 cards.

2 6600GT 128 meg cards and got back 2 7600GT 256 meg cards (AGP).
              1 7950GT 512 meg card and got back a ATI 4850 1 gig card (AGP)
              1 8600GT 512 meg card and got back a 9600GT 512 meg card (PCI-E)
              1 8800GT 512 meg card and got back a 9800GT Alpha Dog 512 meg card (PCI-E)
              1 9600GS 128 meg card and got back a 9800GTX 756 meg card (PCI-E)
              1 GT210 256 meg card and got back a GT220 512 meg card (PCI-E)

Some where just because the fan stopped working but why even spend the $ on a new fan when they cover it.

Never have I had to pre register any of the cards (only had to do it when i submitted my trouble ticket though they claim you need to within 30 days of purchase now) nor have I had to provide a invoice proving purchase. Maybe I have been lucky but XFX is all I buy when it comes to video cards.

Comment

I've never had a 'bought new' video card fail.
                I just know from reading about other people's problems.

-

- Dr Seuss
                -
                -

Comment

Everyone,

thanks for taking the time to look over my post and help me with my problem/DIY project :-D

@PCBONEZ

I saw your first post the other day but I have been too busy to respond. In other words I find it very hard top adjust to dealing with a 7+ year old Sony Vaio with a VERY crappy AMD Celery, err scuse me I mean Celeron processor that barely tops 2.0 Ghz.

I can't complain too much about it because someone had discarded it for trash and I picked it up several months ago. Aside from being SLOOOOOW it works perfectly fine. I figured it would be great to have in case something like this happens.

Anyway... I saw what you meant about the sacon caps, and took a look at all the links you included. And I spent some time looking around in the forum and I have seen quite a few mentions of XFX cards and any brand of 8600GT cards. Of course its always the FZ caps. The second link in particular that you included...

this one...

... is also another user with the same card as me and he included an image, which I am going to borrow in a second

My card is exactly the same cept the purple caps are blue.

The cluster of 3 caps at A, in the upper right are blown on mine, and also the 2 at B along the top are blown as well.

Seems like almost every pic of this card i have seen always starts out with the cluster of A blown lol

@c hegge

I'm pretty sure the 470's are 8mm.

2 of the 1500's are 10mm, and the other is 8mm.

2 of the links you included are perfect

470uF 16v 8mm MBZ Series
                  https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=51

1500uF 6.3v 10mm MCZ Series
                  https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40

For the 8mm 1500 would this one be ok?

1500uF 10v 8mm MCZ Series
                  https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=39

@brethin

Yeah I am in NA. I tried contacting XFX. Kinda interesting process since they recommend you open a support ticket before you think about calling them. So I had opened one then called immediately lol. I got the same guy on the phone that opened my ticket so it only took me like 5 minutes to hit a brick wall.

The double lifetime warranty XFX provides is a great thing, IF you register it lol. If you don't register then they can't do jack about it. I coulda swore I registered it when I got it but appearently i didn't so I was out of luck.

The new 8400GS card I bought for $30 is also from XFX and I am going to make sure I register it tomorrow once I get it up and running. Oh yeah, its supposed to come by UPS tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the input guys. It's gonna be a week or so before I can order the caps, but I can't wait!

Comment

The purple caps are blue on his too.
                    He marked them with purple in the pic to point them out.

If the "double' lifetime is to cover two owners just register it now and say you just bought it.
                    - Lets see them wiggle out of that one.
                    [I foresee lawsuits.]

Using Sacon caps is inexcusable regardless of any warranty.
                    A free replacement doesn't off-set the 2+ hours of wasted time by the time you get done with TS the machine, dealing with the paperwork, the shipping, and then dealing with machine again to install the new card and probably drivers.
                    - Even if the shop rate [or your time] is only worth $20/hr you are $40 in the hole AND that's only if they don't set you up to do it again by sending another card with Sacon FZ craps.

Send that XFX guy a link to some posts here discussing his companies cards.
                    Like this one..

~~~
                    HEY GOOGLE! - LOOK HERE FOR XFX!
                    ~~~
                    XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card, XFX Geforce video card.

Okay, I'll behave now..

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

PCBONEZ

I agree with you completely. Even though I am new to dealing with caps I catch on quick and it is very clear that the Sacon caps are a big problem.

So far it has cost me $30 for a new card, but thats not including all the little add-ons like you described.

Or my pain and suffering... lawsuit anyone? lol

My video card went down right when I was in the middle of something important. Thank goodness I saved right before otherwise I would have been screwed even more.

I had to "borrow" my sisters laptop to go online and do the ticket and contact XFX and all that crap. Dealing with my sisters laptop is not fun at all. I still have nightmares from the experience of having to deal with Windows Vista. HEr laptop is just so slow and its a mess. It was so bloated from adware and toolbars that I had to clean it before i could use it. That was an hour of my time.

Then when I set my back-up PC up I had to install XP on it fresh, cause I never did that when i picked it up lol. A couple more hours I can't get back but at least its done now when I should have done it sooner.

The caps I need are not even going to cost me that much... Under $10 for caps and shipping which is not bad at all. But I also need a new soldering iron and some solder too, which is going to be like another $20. Plus the time and money spent on going to go get them.

I'm looking at $30 for the new card, $30 for the supplies to fix the old one, plus all the time and effort to deal with all of it. That last part is pretty hard to measure lol.

What ticks me off the most is that I have to go without my pc, my baby, for 4-5 days!
                      As I said before I built it myself so I am fairly upset over this lol. I'm kinda used to zipping around online and doing alot of multitasking and just well taking full advantage of the power of my PC.

I thought about how I could best describe how I feel... it took me 5 minutes to come up with this.

I feel limited. Extrememly limited.

Edit:

A perfect example would be I often use my PC for DVD authoring. Does a nice job. I can barely watch YouTube videos on the back-up
                      Last edited by goldencloud; 09-06-2010, 09:52 AM. Reason: Added something

Comment

Originally posted by goldencloud View Post
                        For the 8mm 1500 would this one be ok?

1500uF 10v 8mm MCZ Series
                        https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=39
                        Assuming the FZ caps are not 16v, those should work. They are 20mm high, though, so they may stop you using the next PCI slot.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Agree

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

I see what you guys mean. I hadn't noticed that.

If i can't find another cap that would be a better fit its not that big of a deal.

The PCI cards on my MoBo are like this.

PCI-E x16 - The top slot is where I have my Vid Card

PCI-E x1

PCI-E x1

PCI-Ex16

I haven't used any of the other slots yet and I dont think i will anytime soon so I should have plenty of clearance with that 20mm cap.

Even if I were to get another 8600GT card and go SLI mode it wouldn't even interfere with the other card

Comment

Edit your profile to include your location. If you are in North America most likely I can help you get this replaced if you have not made any repair attempts to the card yet.

Comment

brethin,

at this point im not worried about a replacement right now. I don't mind attempting to fix it at all.

I had just gotten the new card I bought yesterday, an 8400GS. A small step down from the 8600GT but its ok for now. Actually it is certainly alot quieter and not as hot as the previous card.

I'l fix the 8600GT when I get around to it lol.

Comment

I keep putting my round to-it's in drawers but I'm running out of drawers.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                    I keep putting my round to-it's in drawers but I'm running out of drawers.
                                    Time for a bigger house!

Comment

@PCBONEZ

lol. I've put alot of things off before, all for various reasons. Somethings are too difficult, or not important right now or any excuse that I just happen to pull out of the hat at the time lol.

I am going to fix that 8600GT card though, I just don't have the extra money right now. Unfortunately i could barely even afford the $30 for the replacement card. Actually that's $30 less the cable company got from me last week lmao. And believe me when I say t hey have been calling me every day this week lol.

Comment

Whats important right now is that I know What I need, How to do it, and How much its going to cost me.

Comment

Working...
                                        X