Geforce 8600GT card with blown caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geforce 8600GT card with blown caps

I'm finding a new use for these old cards: server video cards.

My latest is a 7600GT with every cap popped.
    Replaced all with Rubycon, and removed the dead screamer fan.
    Arctic Silver V on the heat sink, and a PCI slot fan cooler works well.
    I use the Scythe Slot Rafter with 2x80mm 2-ball fans for longevity.

The card in the photo above is somewhat of a rarity.. the TV out is Component Video, and not just S-Video. Just the ticket for an old TV without HDMI inputs.

Comment

Hey guys,
      If I send my GeForce 8600 GT graphics card to badcaps for repair will they do it? I just recently found out about badcaps so I don't know much about it. Thanks in advance.

- = Confused = -

Comment

Yes. Afaik topcat recaps video cards too!

Comment

Afaik he doesn't do those but why don't you ask him....
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/member.php?u=3
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

wasnt he mentoining he did abnuch at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              wasnt he mentoining he did abnuch at some point?
              He did a few cards he got in bulk broken and poly modded them, I doubt he want's to do per card recaps.

Still beyond me why anyone wants to try and repair a XFX card that has a double lifetime warranty (and yes I know/hear those saying they cant get them done because they didn't register the cards in 30 days, that is only if the card is not in the grandfather list ).

Send me the card and I can get it replaced from XFX (regardless if you registered it or not and where you are from). If it is a older card you will get a newer card of equal or better performance as long as you have not dicked it up by trying to recap it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                Send me the card and I can get it replaced from XFX (regardless if you registered it or not and where you are from). If it is a older card you will get a newer card of equal or better performance as long as you have not dicked it up by trying to recap it yourself.
                Are you still able to get replacements?
                I have 2x, GF 8600GT 600M 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI TV PCI-E XXX, that I ran in SLI
                I got them July 14 2008 but didn't register until they "died" (both cards still work fine in 2d but they suffer in 3d)
                I have since tried to get it replaced followed by telling them off.
                The copy and paste jockey just keeps posting this to me.

Hi, registering the card within the first 30 days of purchase will extend it to the double lifetime warranty. Otherwise it will have a 2 year warranty on it from the purchase date. It is currently outside of that time and we won`t be able to warranty the card at this time. Thanks, Brian.
                I have since replace them but was thinking of repairing them for my sisters system.

Comment

Originally posted by ShetiPhian View Post
                  Are you still able to get replacements?
                  I have 2x, GF 8600GT 600M 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI TV PCI-E XXX, that I ran in SLI
                  I got them July 14 2008 but didn't register until they "died" (both cards still work fine in 2d but they suffer in 3d)
                  I have since tried to get it replaced followed by telling them off.
                  The copy and paste jockey just keeps posting this to me.

I have since replace them but was thinking of repairing them for my sisters system.
                  I can't help you now. Since you registered them and they now have a record of the cards. Telling them off and them having a record of it pretty much put the cards on the blacklist.

Comment

Here is what I told them;
                    I still suspect the cards are designed to self destruct. (more so now) So many people with the same problem, after the warranty expired.
                    One card dieing is understandable, crap happens. Two cards killing over the exact same way indicates manufacturing issues. But a quick look online shows a lot, if not most, of these cards have died the same way in the same time frame. I will keep in mind on future purchases; where other manufactures products work long after warranty`s end, yours are built to last only until the warranty is over.

I should have done what I read others have. (they received replacements)
                    Register it about a year back form now and if needed provide a false invoice.

Oh well, I know their products are crap now and would never buy again.

I wonder, with so many cards failing due to the same problem in the same time frame, why wasn't a class action started.

Comment

Originally posted by ShetiPhian View Post
                      Here is what I told them;

I should have done what I read others have. (they received replacements)
                      Register it about a year back form now and if needed provide a false invoice.

Oh well, I know their products are crap now and would never buy again.

I wonder, with so many cards failing due to the same problem in the same time frame, why wasn't a class action started.
                      I needed no invoice, and it being registered wasn't a issue, you Telling them off and them having a record of it is the issue. I know Brian he is a super nice guy and there is no way I would ask a favor from him to get those cards fixed now even if they were mine since he can see they were yours. Sorry

I would have to disagree that their products are crap.

Considering you don't even know what the actual problem is with your cards how can you say "The same problem in the same time frame"
                      Last edited by brethin; 01-07-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

After server web searches there is a lot of people posting the exact same blown capacitors after about two years of use.
                        That's why I seen it as "The same problem in the same time frame"

Several people reported they did get their products replaced even though it wasn't registered and out of warranty. So I attempted that.

-----------------------
                        I was going to say my responses to the copy and paste where not hostile at first but after reading them they weren't all that friendly either.

if I would have left this line out things might have gone smoother
                        "I will keep in mind on future purchases; where other manufactures products work long after warranty`s end, yours are built to last only until the warranty is over. "

Maybe its the modern throw away world and I pinned it on Xfx, but only two years out of a card is wrong. I still have cards dating back about ten years that served well in several systems before I retired them (still used for troubleshooting old systems)

Comment

Personally I think their products are crap.
                          Though, I can't think of any that aren't crap anymore.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                            I needed no invoice, and it being registered wasn't a issue, you Telling them off and them having a record of it is the issue. I know Brian he is a super nice guy and there is no way I would ask a favor from him to get those cards fixed now even if they were mine since he can see they were yours. Sorry

I would have to disagree that their products are crap.

Considering you don't even know what the actual problem is with your cards how can you say "The same problem in the same time frame"
                            So are you saying that I can still get a replacement for my XFX GeFORCE 8600 GT even if I never registered it?

Wondering if I can just say that I bought it off someone and then "register the product within 30 days of purchase." Or do they check to see if the previous owner registered the product within 30 days of purchase?

I'm just trying to figure out how I should approach this problem as I don't want to register my card and then be denied from the warranty because the the "30 day" clause.

Comment

Originally posted by horriblecap View Post
                              So are you saying that I can still get a replacement for my XFX GeFORCE 8600 GT even if I never registered it?

No I am not saying You can.

Wondering if I can just say that I bought it off someone and then "register the product within 30 days of purchase." Or do they check to see if the previous owner registered the product within 30 days of purchase?

No you can't, Yes they check.

I'm just trying to figure out how I should approach this problem as I don't want to register my card and then be denied from the warranty because the the "30 day" clause.

Not sure what to tell you, maybe sell it on Ebay as not working for parts or try and have it repaired by someone. I no longer offer help with XFX warranties, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by goldencloud View Post
                                any brand of 8600GT cards. Of course its always the FZ caps.
                                Like 7600s appear to, if not the whole 7-series!
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Heh, had my old 7300LE that I left in my server blow its caps a couple of months ago.

"Of course its always the FZ caps" ... too true.

I couldn't see any economic reason to repair the old 7300le, so I just got a cheap ATI 5450 instead using polymer caps.

Comment

I'm here with the same issues, blown FZ77 1500 6.3v caps. What is currently being suggested for replacement caps?

Thanks for any help!

Comment

Go by the data sheet in post #2.
                                      Need 1800 mA or more ripple.
                                      Need .022 ohms or less ESR.
                                      Needs to fit.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Ive got an evga nforce 6600 AGP card with 5 or 6 blown FZ caps. Computer kept freezing, memory dumped once, and rebooted twice on me. After updating drivers, SP3 and Memtest98+(free), I went to try a spare VGA, and found my blown caps. It blows me away that the card still worked great for the most part. I've already ordered a combination of caps; united chemicon, and two varieties of Rubycon. I won't name the supplier, but there was no shipping charge and everyone here probably already knows about them. I've got high hopes that it will run better than it has in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by asand1 View Post
                                          Ive got an evga nforce 6600 AGP card with 5 or 6 blown FZ caps. Computer kept freezing, memory dumped once, and rebooted twice on me. After updating drivers, SP3 and Memtest98+(free), I went to try a spare VGA, and found my blown caps. It blows me away that the card still worked great for the most part. I've already ordered a combination of caps; united chemicon, and two varieties of Rubycon. I won't name the supplier, but there was no shipping charge and everyone here probably already knows about them. I've got high hopes that it will run better than it has in a while.
                                          Make a new thread. Tagging on to a old thread about a XFX card when you have a EVGA card wil get you nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X