MS-6701 OEM for Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MS-6701 OEM for Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL

i think your case will take a normal psu ATX size, so basically any atx psu will fit, most are ATX
    that fortron you chose has
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 15 cm x 14 cm x 8.6 cm
    you can check if you like
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

that power supply looks fine

Comment

Hello all,

I hope I'm not posting at a bad time, but I just discovered this forum and would like to share similar experiences about my Medion Titanium MD8000.

I bought it May of 2002 and at first it was working perfectly. Almost too perfectly.

Over time, I felt that the system performace was deteriorating due to some mysterious reason. I felt that the p/s area of the computer was just too hot. Just 2 months ago, around February actually my power supply failed completely. I replaced it with an ATX Sparkle.

After replacing it, the computer works fine again, but I feel that it's performance is mediocre. It runs slowly and "skips" a lot. For example, I cannot play an mp3 without the computer like freezing for very short bouts of time. I know it's not programs (normal programs or malware) that are eating up the memory, so I suspect it's something to do with the hard drive or perhaps memory.

I would like to replace the memory in the case and was wondering what kind I should buy as this information is not provided by Medion support.

I also wanted to add that I get the "Windows No Disk error" whenever the computer starts up or when I run certain applications. The message disapprears after clicking cancel once. I have been getting this message for a while now even when the original power supply was powering the computer.

Thanks
        Last edited by saqer; 05-15-2006, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Another note to add is that I do not get any BSOD's or any of the other general symptoms of bad caps. Last time I opened my case the motherboard looked "clean". I cannot however, fully attest that the caps are all in healthy shape. I'm new to this badcaps idea. I didn't know that this problem existed before. What are signs of it happening?

Comment

Hi KIWI
            Interesting story about your MD5000.
            I have the same unit with exactly the same problems.
            I bought the pc in 2002. Things I replaced were : added 512 ddr333 pc2700, and I replaced the seagate hd ( broke down ) with a maxtor 120gb.
            The mem was in 2003 and the seagate hd in 2004. The system worked ok until about 3 months ago.
            The BODS started to come up. Total at random sometimes even when the system
            was in idle. Sometimes a total freeze up with no bods.
            OK Formatted disk reinstalled xp home and all updates.
            No result.
            I started to check the system with motherboard monitor,memtest and Prime95. The cpu temps were normal 47C and the fan responded ok to temp rise. Memtest gave no errors afther 4 days testing. ( swaping memsticks, singelstick in slot 1 then in slot 2 ect ). Prime95 gave hardware failure during the heavy test. But during this tests no BODS or hangups.
            Afther each reboot the error message was send to microsoft and the most replies were : hardware problem cpu motherboard or power supply, some indicated ram and the last ones were about the nvidia display drivers ( changed this to microsoft sign ones no luck ) but the final reports were videocard hardware problems. ( geforce4 ti4200 )
            I have a azus nvidia tnt 64 mb to interchange.
            I found the fan on the geforce stinking and bad turning ( noisy ).
            So started up with the old tnt card and drivers. That must be the problem.
            Well afther 5 hours of intensive use ........ a bods.

The I googeld around and found your story about your md5000.
            I found the power supply change interesting because my supply is making strange noises now and then.

I am wondering how is your system doing. Still ok.
            Hope you will reply

Grtz Jos

Comment

if you still have this well underated FSP250MDN you should not hesistate in replacing it. If seen to mutch of them with bulged caps. The problem is that they are very very close to the power consumption of this system, e.g no headrom for further upgrades left. And the next issu with all Medion systems is heat. This case have far to less air flow, therefore those hdd`s will not last for long and the psu`s too. So my suggestion would be to buy a PSu with a high airflow.
              I have goood experiences with seasonic S12 or oem HT series and especially with Amacrox free earth units.
              But if you want, you can replace those caps in the FSP-250MDM too. it is easy, there is sufficient space to do that. But i would replace those caps with some bigger low esr caps as instaled.

Comment

Hi Gonzo and KIWI
                I replaced the power supply today witha 400w Q tec bigfan.
                The system is working ok. The tnt video chart is still build in.
                I tried to put in the original geforce but this one seemed to be not functioning ok.( red vert stripes on my monitor ) so another heat fictum. On the backsite of the chip the print was light brown iso green.When I replaced the old tnt chart all was ok again.
                Gonzo I think you are right about the heat in th md 5000 case.I think that was the reason I lost my seagate hdd and now my geforce video chart.
                When I was replacing the video charts I found 3 caps looking like the pictures I saw on the site. So this system has bad caps.
                I hope Kiwi will reply so he can tell his system is working ok afther replacing the caps.
                I buy a new video chart next day and see how the system is running.

Grtz Jos

Comment

Hello,
                  This is my first post here so I am sorry if there is an introduction section that I bipassed. However, I have the same computer and motherboard and recently the same thing has happened to my system. I am going to recap the motherboard and I would like to know exactly which capacitors you ordered. I need to get this thing back up and running and the exact capacitors I need would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Please make sure you indicate what country or state you live in. Best done in User profile. It is then easier for us to indicate what caps to buy and where.
                    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                    Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                    160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                    Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                    160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                    Samsung 18x DVD writer
                    Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                    33 way card reader
                    Windows XP Pro SP3
                    Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                    17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                    HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

Please make sure you indicate what country or state you live in. Best done in User profile. It is then easier for us to indicate what caps to buy and where.
                      I was just going to buy them from the same place Kiwi bought them from. I have the same system and the same motherboard so I was hoping he would give me the necessary information.

Comment

I was searching the internet and came to your site .
                        I have a Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL and its been locking up and restarts itself all the time. I got a 400 watt ps for upgraded my HD to 300 gb and ram is at 768 meg. I also had to get a new ethernet card. I bought a cheap Video card to see if it was the problem no go.

When I looked at the caps bingo! 6-7 of them where buldging at the top and 2-3 have some fluid coming from the top.

I am ordering another mobo for it hoping the lock ups and restarts go away!

Thanks for the direction!

Comment

ok.. i need some help i will try to keep it short

a friend gave me his medion system.. i opened it and noticed the capacitors near the cpu are bulging. He told me he was thru with it because he was i getting BSOD all the time.. we tested here at our shop and came to the conclusion that it must be the capacitors.. I got another motherboard and used his cpu and mem and built another system and it was totally stable so my first thought was these capacitors were the original problem all along.

I did research (google is my friend) and found this site so now i need your help. Would it be worth replacing the capacitors on this and since I still have the case with the memory card reader.. etc.. it would be nice to build a small system if i can fix this and give/sell to someone i know for a internet/email reading machine

i have soldering experience.. i have a weller soldering station and i have in fact in the past removed capacitors on dvd players pcbs (apex for one i know of) and well tons of repairs on numerous pcbs.. video game systems.. etc.. so removing the capacitors should not be a problem.

I just need more information on exactly which capacitors would you guys recommend and where to order from.. like I said if I can reuse this motherboard and not put a lot of $ into it so I can use the memory reader and case plus the keyboard/mouse etc that all match.. then it would be worth it since i got it for basically free. (i paid shipping from him to me)

any and all information would be greatly appreciated. I would use a NEW power supply and all new other components (or used from another system) but the capacitors are my enemy right now

thanks in advance

brpc

Comment

You should messure the size of the caps (esspecially the diameter) and post their uF and voltage rating.

In generall i suggest Rubycon, Panasonic, United Chemi Con or on of the other brands you will find in the apropriate section of this forum. generally, you need LOW ESR high temp caps.

As you are located in the US, i suggest you email Topcat, the owner of this forum. He will provide you the right caps.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                              You should messure the size of the caps (esspecially the diameter) and post their uF and voltage rating.

In generall i suggest Rubycon, Panasonic, United Chemi Con or on of the other brands you will find in the apropriate section of this forum. generally, you need LOW ESR high temp caps.

As you are located in the US, i suggest you email Topcat, the owner of this forum. He will provide you the right caps.
                              Thanks.. Yes I am in the USA.. I am going to get some measurements and uF and volt rating and post.. I will email Topcat as well. I used to order parts from digikey back in the day so I am sure I could get some from there but you guys have the knowledge of doing this already I would rather go with something that is known to work and be reliable.

Comment

Feel free to lock at digikey, if that suites your needs. Only a suggestion. But stay with the mentioned brands, wich should availiable from digikey too.

Comment

What kind of caps are in this picture from a MS-6701 OEM for Medion MD5000 aka Titanium MD 8000 XL
                                  Attached Files

Comment

United Chemi Con (the brown ones, the green I dunno, could be many brands...)
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

can you take closer pics?
                                      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Nichicons. 2003 model board?
                                        Last edited by Spacedye69; 09-21-2006, 05:10 AM.

Comment

He he he i would agree to Nichicon HM(N) 2003

Comment

Working...
                                          X