Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Nichicon HM(M) on Dell Dimension 3000 motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Nichicon HM(M) on Dell Dimension 3000 motherboard.

Are these real?

The font on the voltage doesn't look like it should. And the label on Rubycon YK's isn't blue.
    What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/5pcs-Rubycon-63V...ht_1467wt_1165

Comment

The blue Rubycon is easy to pick out as a counterfeit. Rubycon does appear to vary a few things in their print layout and sleeve coloring but never as bad as that. While searching for a comparison pic I ran across a picture of identical twins.

WTF!
      Attached Files
      sig files are for morons

Comment

One last question,

Do I need a solder sucker? I soldered and de-soldered the caps from the PSU using the wick only, I didn't buy a solder sucker, it seems to work without it, but should I get one?

Comment

Some people love them but most recommend not using them because when they -snap- they jump and that can do some damage.

I was trained to use them in Navy Electronics school and I don't understand how they manage to damage things if they use them correctly.

That said, I don't use them.
          To me they are usually more in time in futzing around than what they actually save in the effort of removing solder.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

The braid seems to take it all, I had a 6.3v 3300uF Chemi-Con something laying around and replaced a bulging HM on my Dimension 4500, after I recapped it, it didn't POST, than again, it was a b1tch trying to get the old cap off, the holes were really small and the board didn't take solder well at all.

I hope the 3000 takes solder better.

Comment

Thought I would jump in on this thread as just last night I attempted my first ever soldering job, and it was on a Dell Dimension 3000 motherboard too. Last night I did the removal process, which was 95% successful (more below). I had 2 KZG 6.3V 820uF caps bulging/leaking, but I decided to replace all 4 KZG 6.3V 820uF caps, along with a single KZJ 10v 1000uF caps. Interestingly, the single KCJ is in the same location your Nichicon is in. Mine was not bulging, but I had read they could be prone to failure so I decided to replace it.

I was able to remove all 5 caps last night and clear 9 of the 10 holes. I am still working on the 10th as it appears the one cap lead broke off inside it. I am having a bear of a time getting it out now.

See attached picture of the caps I replaced (in addition to yours).
              Attached Files

Comment

Heat from one side and push the lead chunk out with a needle from the other side.
                Be advised that needle is going to get HOT so don't hold it with fingers.
                Push from side where the cap body was.
                The other end is probably slightly bent under the solder which is why it didn't come out so easily.
                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-09-2011, 07:45 AM.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

Thanks, I will give that a try later today. I threw in the towel last night once the clock went past midnight...

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                  Optional:
                  . An old tooth brush. [To use with the Isoprophyl for clean-up.]
                  . Some liquid or paste flux with a small brush to spread it is handy.
                  . Medicated burn cream.
                  And I think that item should be moved up to the "required" list!

Comment

For future reference you may find this useful:
                    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpos...1&postcount=17
                    Would have posted earlier but I forgot where it was.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

My grandpa died earlier yesterday, and I got an old 140w Weller solder gun with a trigger.

Sad to see him go though. :'(

It has a trigger so if you don't hit the trigger, no heat.

It's really really heavy to, he used to repair TV's that had vacuum tubes (He still has the tube caddy).

He used it to replace fuses, capacitors, and other things, I'm going to use that to recap that board.

RileyRR,

I've seen some of those on eBay with United Chemi-con's (KZJ, KZG).

Mine has all Rubycon, Nichicon and some United Chemi-Con (SMG's).

Comment

140w is too much, in my opinion. And I bet this thing is not temperature-regulated.
                        Sorry for your loss.

Comment

One of those guns is not a good choice for motherboard work.
                          They are great for some other kinds of work.

For mobo work they are a bit too heavy and the tips too big to keep steady on the small solder pads.

It's not that it can't work.
                          It will just be much harder to not damage the board.

You may be able to find some more suitable tips [than the standard one those use] at some place like Ace Hardware [most likely] or Lowes or Home Depot. [Maybe Frys Electronics if you have one.]
                          Thing is at $2 and up per tip you'd be better off just getting a pencil type iron.
                          Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-10-2011, 07:02 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Basic but good iron. [As in it's just okay.]
                            http://www.frys.com/product/3317532?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
                            I bought one of these when I was traveling and got roped into a soldering job I wasn't expecting. I had none of my gear with me. Tip is a tad big [but usable] and it need cleaned a lot. New tips at least available. [Unlike most Radio-shack irons.]

High Quality Iron.
                            http://www.frys.com/product/2755633?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
                            Many tip options. All parts available including new heaters.

Good Station. Pro/Semi-Pro.
                            http://www.frys.com/product/454489?s...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
                            Many [15-20] tip options. All parts available including new heaters.
                            [I know a place to get legit Hakko tips for $2 and complete handle assemblies with heaters for ~$20 last I looked. Price is cheap but shipping is slow.]
                            What I did was get a small lot of used 'bases' on eBay cheap [for spare parts considerations] then got new handles [new handles come with new heaters installed] and tips for the ones I put in service.
                            Just FYI: Hakko 926 and 936 both use the same handles and have the same ratings. [Either base will do.]
                            Just FYI-2: There are 3 handle sizes, for mobo work the middle size [#907] is best.
                            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-10-2011, 07:42 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                              For future reference you may find this useful:
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpos...1&postcount=17
                              Would have posted earlier but I forgot where it was.
                              Link did not work for me.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=17

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Recapped my Dell Dimension 3000, the Dell Dimension 3000 lives on!
                                  It worked! It booted right up, I had to set the time and date because I took the battery out of it before I recapped it.

I used a Rubycon MCZ 16V 1000uF

Thanks for your help BadCaps.net!
                                  Last edited by ajcox1234; 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM. Reason: Punctuation errors.

Comment

Congrats!

-

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    -

Comment

I hope RileyRR recaps his successfully too!
                                      Last edited by ajcox1234; 08-11-2011, 06:55 PM. Reason: Typed wrong username!

Comment

I am still having issues after the recap and I am actually considering re-doing the recap to see if that remedies it. The computer randomly fails to turn on (or turns on for a few seconds then shuts down) or it will boot up but fail during the Windows load with the "Session5 Initialization Error" (which is the error I had prior to the recap). Sometimes the Dell lights on the back will indicate that a memory module is bad, other times they will be all green. I did get it to boot into UBCD but it took forever to load it and do anything in it. When it does attempt to load Windows (always resulting in the Session5 error) it also takes forever to load.

I tested the PSU last night and that seems fine. I am going to run a memory test today to verify the modules are okay (if I can get the computer to stay on).

Comment

Do you have those 85C buggers too?

Intel [builder of this board] randomly uses those so some boards get them and others don't, even in the same model board.

Most of them are for EMI.
                                          EMI = Radio Frequency Noise from cell phones, CRTs, microwave ovens, and so forth.

Sometimes they end up in smaller local VR's for things like the chipset sub-circuits or Vtt.
                                          If one of those goes bad all kinds of crazy 'unexplainable' things can happen.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X