Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M2a-vm hdmi

Here's my recap job in progress.

After 4 years of 24x7 good service, now it's not POSTing anymore.
    Symptoms:
    - green led signals "under power", fans start, 12V wire is 12V (at the PSU)
    - with everything removed but the CPU, the board beeps "I miss the memory"
    - with memory plugged (two memories, used both, used one at time, used in every one of the 4 slots) it doesn't post, doesn't reach the point to beep "it's all ok, now I'm booting"
    Every connector has been unplugged, cleaned, replugged with no success.

This happened in the last few months: usually it's always on, but every 3 months it needs cleaning. 3 months ago it didn't turn on, and I went straight to the memory. Some unplugging and "replugging as it was" seemed to fix the issue, but now I see this was simply compatible with "try many times until it works".
    Now I've put it offline for a system update (Wheezy ) and "many times" has become a rule, just for few days: yesterday "many" meant "infinite".

Googling around eventually led me here where I found some threads with the same issue for the same board (and at least one successful story after recapping), then I watched closer and saw this:

CPU seems ok:

This seems to be consistent with how I used this PC for 4 year: low consumption router and HTPC. I used IGP every second, not even the classic putting the graphic on idle when not used (you want to turn on the TV without having to move the mouse around for waking up things) while CPU was on minimum power: the board is rated for up to 95W CPUs, but I used it with a 45W processor, undervolted.

When needed I soldered, in the past I've soldered on 4-layers PCB: not so much practice, but I'm careful and I'll train with an old board. Besides I've no chance to get a replacement; in the worst case the money will be worth the experience.

I know nothing about how to choose new capacitors and what I'll find in my city, then I'm reading everything on this forum I think it could help (by the way am I wrong or this is one of the lucky ASUS PCB with every single capacitor polarity printed reversed?)
    Attached Files

Re: M2a-vm hdmi

Board mapped.

color (qty): capac/voltage rad x height [brand series] ripple/impedence/life
    purple (6): 1500uF/6.3V 8x21 [Panasonic FJ] 1870/0.016/3000
    yellow (4): 1000uF/16V 8x19 [Chemi-con KZG NB/NC/NE] 1970/0.021/2000
    green (15): 820uF/6.3V 8x12 [TK ATWY 738A/739A] 2550/0.036/2000
    cyan (1): 470uF/16V 8x13 [Chemi-con KZG NL] 1970/0.021/2000
    orange (7): 100uF/16V 5x11 [Panasonic MH] 105/?/1000
    pink (4): 100uF/16V 6x7 [Chemi-con KMA] 97/?/1000
    beige (1): 330uF/6.3V 6x11 [Sanyo WX N.E.75] 405/0.130/?

In your opinion it would be acceptable to:
    - keep the panasonic FJ (purple) as still good
    - change KZG and TK ATWY (yellow/green/cyan) as risky
    - keep the rest as less under stress?

As replacement I searched for same spec (uF/V), equal or lower impedence, equal or higher ripple current, and I found:
    - for 1000uF/16V KZG (1970/0.021/2000)
    Nichicon HM 10x16 (2000/0.018/2000)
    Panasonic FM 10x20 (2180/0.019/5000)
    - for 820uF/6.3V TK ATWY (2550/0.036/2000)
    Nichicon LE 10x13 (6800/0.005/2000)
    Nichicon L8 8x8 (5700/0.008/2000-5000)
    Nichicon HN 8x11.5 (1300/0.021/2000) lower ripple current
    - for 470uF/16V KZG (1970/0.021/2000)
    Nichicon LF 10x13 (5000/0.009/2000)

I see two problem: polymer and radial size. For the latter I think I have not enough space around, for the former I'm not sure I should change spec too much.
    Am I right?
    How far can I lower ripple or raise impedence while still playing safe?

Thanks for any advice.
    Attached Files

Comment

I think polies will be fine for both of them. 10mm caps between the PCI slots should fit.

I'd go with the L8 caps for the 820uF TKs, and the Panny FMs for the 1000uF KZGs
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Thank you for your reply,
        between PCI I agree, but this evening I'll double check space around other caps: there are lot of smd I wouldn't touch/press (maybe raising caps a little).
        Do I have to take particular care when soldering polymer, with respect to the general hints I found here about soldering?

Comment

I forgot: using different lead spacing is bad practice? (I can't find right ones)

Comment

^
            no, different lead spacing is OK, but maybe mount the cap a mm or 2 off the PCB, to avoid placing unnecessary stress on the cap's rubber seal, or on the motherboard's solder pads. Soldering polies isn't much different to soldering electrolytics in. Just use the same procedure you would with any other component.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Ok, thank you again.

Comment

Recapped!
                The worst part was pinning the solder out (low quality stainless pins) and watching carefully for every little piece of solder that tried to escape. I think I got them all.
                Desoldering wasn't so bad. Although this board shoud be lead free, I got through with my SPI41 (40W) with max 4 seconds on a couple of caps, just following advices (adding solder first).

Now it's really late here; tomorrow with sunlight I'll throughly check for solder drops and joints (somewhere I put too much solder).
                Attached Files

Comment

I have 2 of these same motherboards minus the HDMI. One is running...unfortunately it is the one with the visibly blown caps and looks to be 90% Chemicon based on the brown wrapping. I don't have it out of the case yet. The one I have out has no visible damage to the caps, but has lots of KZG near the processor and I/O ports. The remaining ones have CFJS on them which I haven't been able to identify. I'm having trouble locating 5mm diamiter 100uf/16v caps. I need at least 7 of these little buggers! Would this 6mm 25v work in it's place: https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=153
                  It's a tad larger, but I think it'll fit. There are 6 of these guys all bunched together. It looks like the traces run to the sound or usb ports based on the direction of the traces. The board is currently having trouble with sound and video. If I'm lucky I'll wind up with 2 working boards...but I'll be happy with 1!

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thought this was a good place to start.
                  From somewhere deep in the Ozarks...

Comment

They should fit, you have exactly 6mm for each.
                    I didn't find ESR values for the original ones (105 mA for ripple current); maybe they are rated for generic purpose and you can find 5mm without looking for polymeric caps.

Comment

It looks like 16V ZLH will fit, but I can't get the data sheet to load properly that I found at: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/16ZL...datasheet.html

Comment

Never mind...looks like I'm having a browser issue. Had the same issue with the datasheet I just found from this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24242
                        Seems to load and display fine from IE10, but not Firefox.

Comment

By the way, the recap didn't work. I have exactly the same symptoms as before.

I tried to measure voltage around northbridge's mosfet (brownish area here: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29152 ) and they seems coherent (0.6V, 1.9V and 4.2V with respect to ground; error 0.2V - cheap analog multimeter).

Maybe I'll try with one of those PCI card to see when it stops posting, but I'm about to give up.
                          Last edited by JingYing; 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X