Medion MD5000 P4 board packed with fried Nichicon caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medion MD5000 P4 board packed with fried Nichicon caps

There a nice big batch of fried Nichicons!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

seen several boards in last month with blown nichicons

very interesting

Comment

pics?
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I find this pretty worrying, Nichicon, a known good brand, to be failing all of a sudden.

This is all wrong.

Comment

I need to start taking my camera to work for some pics

I will get a couple of my Asus A7N8X Deluxe board that I just replaced

all Nichicon, 3 above agp slot, middle bubbled, had random blue screens while gaming

Comment

weird - my nichicons only leaked from around the edges of the top but these leaked only fromm the middle of the top.

Comment

this just got worse.i have 7 p4 boards on the way in for service.
              the bad ones are all nichicons.
              :roll:

Comment

This is it then, Nichicon are a bad cap manufacturer now.

This is messed up. Maybe it's because Dell use them, and Dell make a LOT of machines, and thus forced Nichicon to reduce their manufacturing costs and/or quality control? I don't know. Either way, it's a shame to see them go, but Nichicon = shit.

Comment

Very interesting... I think there might be something to that theory, because my perception is that Dells are getting cheaper (quality-wise) by the day. They're no doubt putting tremendous pressure on their suppliers.

Did you happen to get the lot numbers or date codes off those caps? All the failures I've seen have been on ones made in the first half of 2003. The other thread at https://www.badcaps.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=469 has more on that.

Comment

Are those Nichicon caps model HN (M) or HM (M)?

I hope that's not HM (M)!!

Because, I have an Asus A7N266-VM/AA motherboard with Nichicon HM (M) caps.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

HN(M) and HM(M) have been reported. it wasnt clear whether the prob was limited to the first half of 2003. not everyone is supplying date codes. wouldnt worry until your system gets unstable, those other boards were failing quite early.

Comment

That motherboard was stable and the caps always were fine.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Re: Medion MD5000 P4 board packed with fried Nichicon caps

Hi I am new to this site and bought a Medion 5000 system 3years ago with the MSI 6701 motherboard in it. I have been searching and troubleshooting for sometime now and just ran upon this site. I have a lot of the classic problems that were noted here on the main page as a board with bad caps....ie, memory errors but the memory is good, and constant computer reboots. I just looked at my system again after reading at this site and noticed I have a number of caps bulging at the top and oozing the electrolyte out of the top as well (10 or more). I did a search on this site for MSI 6701 MB but could not find anything.

Do you guys think this board is repairable if it is only the caps?

Thanks

Comment

yup if the board is not dead, success depends only on your recapping technique.

Comment

Anyone know what type of caps to use on this board or if there is a cap kit to order for this board here?

Comment

Rubycon MBZ or MCZ or Panasonic FC or FM are the preferred brands and series. Since all of these are low ESR, 105°C capacitors, you only need to select the capacitance, voltage, and diameter to replace your existing parts.

My preferred sources:
                                Rubycon MBZ: http://www.computekinc.us
                                Panasonic FC & FM: http://www.digikey.com

You can find a thread that lists several good suppliers worldwide by searching this forum.

Comment

Hey thanks. I have the following that have bulginig/oozing on my MSI-6701 MB:

All are Nichicon
                                  (7) 2200uf @ 6.3v
                                  (4) 1500uf @ 16v
                                  (1) smaller 1500uf @ 6.3v

I can find all but the four 1500uf @ 16v. Anyone with luck on finding these?

Comment

What diameter are they?
                                    From Digikey:
                                    Panasonic FC (16, 12.5, 10mm):
                                    Panasonic FM (12.5mm):
                                    Nichicon HE (16, 12.5, 10mm):
                                    According to their website, they have product in-stock on everything except the Panasonic FC 10mm.

Comment

I just went and looked at a Gigabyte board at a local computer shop...

HM(M) onboard...

{/rolling eyes
                                      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by MackIII
                                        Hi I am new to this site and bought a Medion 5000 system 3years ago with the MSI 6701 motherboard in it. I have been searching and troubleshooting for sometime now and just ran upon this site. I have a lot of the classic problems that were noted here on the main page as a board with bad caps....ie, memory errors but the memory is good, and constant computer reboots. I just looked at my system again after reading at this site and noticed I have a number of caps bulging at the top and oozing the electrolyte out of the top as well (10 or more). I did a search on this site for MSI 6701 MB but could not find anything.

Thanks
                                        MackIII,

What is the outcome of your situation with your Medion? I have a Medion MD8000, which has the MSI 6701 motherboard, and have done many things to try to solve the BSODs I have been getting. My capacitors look fine with one exception of a slight bulge. I get the BSODs with the "stop" messages. They are not consistent as to what is reported i.e. sometimes I get an "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", I have also got "BAD_POOL_HEADER", "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" and a few others.

I have run overnight memory tests and my memory is fine. I have suspected video drivers but that is my seat of the pants judgement.

Kiwi

Comment

Working...
                                        X