Medion MD5000 P4 board packed with fried Nichicon caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medion MD5000 P4 board packed with fried Nichicon caps

Do you cheked the FSP 250w-MDN psu ? Medion usually build the system with that psu and there are bad fuyuhi caps which are leakiing after probably 2 to 3 years. Sometimes earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
      Do you cheked the FSP 250w-MDN psu ? Medion usually build the system with that psu and there are bad fuyuhi caps which are leakiing after probably 2 to 3 years. Sometimes earlier.
      With some concern about the high temperatures I was experiencing and the above advice from gonzo0815 I checked the power supply (FSP250-60MDN-120US) and there were at least 3 bulging capacitors. Due to the tight packing of the components I decided that replacing the bulging capacitors wasn't practical and I purchased a 350 watt power supply at CompUSA (free after rebate!). I haven't recapped my motherboard yet but I thought it would be worth while to run the tests (memtest 86+ & Lucifer) off my bootable Linux CD. I still saw some errors but there were fewer over the same time period. I then booted Windows and did some temperature checking and things are running much cooler now.

Is excess heat generation a typical symptom of a power supply with bad capacitors?

Comment

Not shure, but i my opinion yes. If the output cpas can`t deliver the current, the switching duty cycle will be increased. So probalbay there will be more high voltage spikes. But that is only a guess of my poor elektronics knowledge.
        But for the motherboard`s mosfets this is for shure, if the caps are bad.

Comment

Working...
        X