bad cap on 7600gt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bad cap on 7600gt

if i spot Sacon FZ's on a gfx card, i replace _all of them_ ...

no questions asked.. ALL of them..

reason: if you ever had a (halfway decent and back then expensive) gfx card destroyed beyond repair (GF8600GT 512MB) by those sacon crapcaps, you'll always go like when you see them

i even tend to recap a gfx card if it has sacons on it before even plugging it in for testing for the first time since the 8600GT desaster :O

even Fuhjyyu's last longer than those sacons..
    (and fuhjyyus die rather slowly.. those sacons just blow up from one second to another... *crack*pop* .___. )

Comment

Congrats on getting it going!

I'd preemptively replace that 1000uF when it's convent.

Yes, FZ are 'rubbish'.
      Rather nice word for them actually.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

I'll try to remember that myself.. What's the best way to identify Sacon? the FZ written on top?
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Yes.
          So I understand they come in 3 different can styles now but the FZ will be consistent.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

I've also got a 7600GT, and last night after a loud "snap!" I had four blown FZ69 1500 6.3V capacitors and a dead card. Reading this forum has tempted me to repair the card instead of just buying a new GeForce GTX!

The stock capacitors at 10x12.5mm, with a 5mm lead spacing. FYI, 1500uF 6.3v electrolytics with exactly this rating are available from many vendors, including mouser, where six replacement capacitors cost under $2 total!

Comment

Yes,
              And not that you've learned an new trick you can keep your eyes open for dead video cards that come free and you can fix for $2.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

hey, guys!

I'm recaping my whole egva 7600gt with the panasonic suggested above! But, since i don't know nothing about capacitores, i don't know which one should be replaced by the fz68 1000 16v...

Any help?

Just like above, please, post the link to buy from digikey, i'll buy all panasonics from there!

thanks!

Comment

The 1000uF 16V are Ripple=1800 and ESR=0.022
                  You want the same or more for Ripple and the same or less for ESR.

Panasonic FC are not adequate.

If you source at Digikey and want Panasonic then you need the FM series but be aware you'll be replacing a 12.5mm long cap with one that's 20mm long.
                  Make sure that will work for you.

Specs wise KZE is almost an exact match for that FZ but it's still 20mm long.

Attached Files

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

Just like i said to you, i don't know nothing about capacitors...

So, i still don't know which one to buy.

There isn't a panasonic can replace that capacitor i specified ? So, where i can find some material to read about it ?

Thanks!!!

Comment

Read hat I wrote again. - It's all there.
                      I even gave you the data sheets.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

I can only find 1000uF 10V or 35V in RadioShack. I guess it's too risky to use 35V, but can I use the 10V in place of 16V? I see the ripple and ESR are close to the 16V. Thanks!

Comment

^ dude is that ur real email? get ready for some spam!!! haha not from me thou :P
                          We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives. We have a spiritual depression.

Comment

Originally posted by mzhang_2003@yahoo.com View Post
                            I can only find 1000uF 10V or 35V in RadioShack. I guess it's too risky to use 35V, but can I use the 10V in place of 16V? I see the ripple and ESR are close to the 16V. Thanks!
                            I wouldn't want to plaster my email address all over the internet either...

Anyway... 35v would be a better choice, you should always choose a higher voltage rating rather than a lower one (remember, this is only the max voltage the capacitors can tolerate, not what they will supply)

Using a higher voltage rated capacitor will not blow your video card up or anything.

Definitely don't use a 10v capacitor, unless you know for certain the voltage will not be above 10 volts.

In any case, I doubt RadioShack sells any good LowESR capacitors anyway. Better off going with Digikey\Mouser etc
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Radioshack has NO low ESR caps. - NONE.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

Not even Samxon or something like Jaycar?
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Not here.
                                  All they have is Xicon 85C and an occasional not-low ESR Chemicon or Nichicon.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

Excellent data guys! now i know the caps i need! and FZ now is on my black list

Comment

these people sold me 85c gen-purpose xicons before i knew that i needed low esr.
                                      http://electronicplus.com/
                                      i recapped a modem adapter and a powmax with them. the modem adapter i installed at my moms workplace (still works), but i gave the powax to a friend a long while ago. i havent heard from him for a while and i lost his phone number so i cant tell him that psu is delivering out-of -spec voltages and ripple (then again he way not be using it anymore)...

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                        The 1000uF 16V are Ripple=1800 and ESR=0.022
                                        You want the same or more for Ripple and the same or less for ESR.
                                        Thank you very much for the info. I just ordered some FZ68 1000V 6.3V replacement capacitors at Mouser. They had some from Nichion that fit the requirements you gave above and the specs listed in the Sacon datasheet you attached.

Comment

Working...
                                        X