Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on "ultra durable" Gigabyte boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinions on "ultra durable" Gigabyte boards?

solid caps will fail,
    it will just take longer.

but if you get a poor design with a big heatsink leaning on the caps and no airflow in the case (gateway?)
    then it will happen.

also, it may be possible to damage them with a bad psu.
    a friend blew one to hell in his workshop the other day as an experiment - i'll have to ask what he did to it!

Comment

I've exploded them by holding them in pliers over candles before.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

solid caps will blow up if mistreated.and they really stink.
        i tested sanyo,ncc,and fujitsu.extreme overvoltage and reverse polarity.BANG! smoke,stink.

Comment

Originally posted by mathog
          How long do you think it will be before we see reports of bad solid caps which turn out to be cheap counterfeits? The components may have changed, but probably not the supply chains, or the business ethics of the people who work in them.
          i expect the cheap no name polys to fail early.
          the quality of materials is critical.
          already seen some shorted on an ecs board.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
            i expect the cheap no name polys to fail early.
            the quality of materials is critical.
            already seen some shorted on an ecs board.
            No surprise that ECS would be the leader of that pack. We can look forward to a table of bad solid state cap manufacturers to complement the one for electrolytics. Come to think of it, if you still have those caps, or wrote down who made them, you might want to start that thread. Assuming they were even marked well enough to identify the manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
              Tyan make loads of AMD boards - they make the best i'v ever seen.
              just too bad it's reflected in the price!
              http://www.tyan.com.tw/product_board.aspx

4 x 12core opteron!
              True if you count Opterons, I think Supermicro also makes those. I was really thinking of desktop PC boards.
              The high end brands make desktop boards for Intel, but they're only interested in servers on the AMD side.

Comment

i think the best quality desktop boards come from Asus.

good support for bios & driver downloads too.

Comment

All I use are Gigabyte boards anymore.
                  My EX58-UD5 has that "2oz" copper layer. Its easily the heaviest motherboard Ive handled though Ive never played with server grade hardware like that 4x12 opteron; Im talking about the consumer grade boards I use.
                  I had two boards die. One from a cat spraying it while it was running and the other died when the 12v rail of the power supply shorted to ground and blew out the motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                    i think the best quality desktop boards come from Asus.

good support for bios & driver downloads too.
                    Friends don't let friends do Asus.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

I have to say, Asus' in BIOS update feature is nice, but I've never tried updating newer Gigabyte boards, so they may have something similar.

Comment

If you mean an update utility built into the BIOS, yes, Gigabyte has that as well. Can also load/save the BIOS from a flash drive.

Comment

That's good, I was impressed when I was able to do that with an ASUS P5NE-SLI that I've repaired, glad to see it's not only them who have that feature.

Comment

Those features don't have anything to do with Asus or Gigabyte.
                            It's the BIOS Code Developer and the base BIOS version used.
                            You know like: Award-BIOS, Phoenix-BIOS, AMI-BIOS or whoever else is still out there.
                            Mann-Made Global Warming.
                            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                            -

Comment

I'm aware that it's not a feature created by the manufacturer, but the BIOS developers, but it all depends on whether the manufacturer decides to include that feature in the BIOS that they select for their board or not.

Some Intel boards of the P4 era using Phoenix BIOS, don't have any hardware monitoring!

Comment

I have been placing a lot of GA-EP45-UD3R gigabyte boards.
                                These have the ICH10r southbridge, which I configure as RAID1.

Experimentation with RAID1 shows I can break a mirrored pair without losing data on either drive.

The failure rate for disks greater than 640gb seems to be 15~25% for either DOA or early failure. This seriously sucks in a customer environment with 2tb drives in use.

To avoid future encounters with OnTrack Data Recovery, I'm now doing a pair of Caviar Black 640 with a pair of Caviar Green 64mb / 2TB, both as RAID1 pairs. This doubles the disk cost to the client, but is still much cheaper than the $1700 I sent to OnTrack recently.

It seems the EP45 boards are no longer stocked at Newegg, and have yielded to the iCore and DDR3 markets. The feed backs indicate there are a LOT of problems with DDR3. Sigh... it never ends... just when a board is mature and working well, it gets discontinued for a new board and its subsequent stream of BIOS updates and board revisions.

I still buy Gigabyte, always.

Comment

yep.. if you want a gigabyte P45 board you gotta dig through tons of sites and shops to find one.. and those left are usually the L-Versions (L for Lite/Light)

the P43 chipset ones are still around though (as well as the lower end G3x and G4x boards with integrated graphics)

seems like only asus still has readily available P45 boards

Comment

I have two new UD3R that I keep in stock for warranty purposes.
                                    Pity... they are great boards.

Comment

damn.. that's actually the board i wanted to get to upgrade my system with
                                      not available anywhere.. and if it is available in some hidden web shop, it's horribly overpriced

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...overview-l.jpg
                                      what a beauty

edit: just looked it up.. prices skyrocketed up from around 99euros (126US$) to anywhere between 150 and 170euros (190 to 215US$) before they disappeared from pretty much all webshops around here..
                                      Last edited by Scenic; 05-19-2010, 09:44 PM.

Comment

buying quality/performance boards of older motherboard cpu designs is difficult
                                        almost all of them will be used prior to 2003/4

i have an amd socket a with a barton core 400mhz fsb
                                        finding a great performance motherboard to pair with it is impossible short of spending high costs vs a brand new system
                                        so i am stuck with my soyo kt400 dragon platinum....
                                        which by itself is great except for the cheap capacitors on it
                                        which i have inspected twice for any noticable damage

i once had an epox k7 board that was obviously bad
                                        it required a "15 minute warmuptime" to 55C on the processor (2000athlon) before i could boot past the bios into windows xp without a failed bsod
                                        sign of bad caps anyone?
                                        little to go on about except it was in use for about 1 year and was retired when i returned the case to the owner
                                        except while it was in use it worked flawlessly, ran heavy load games and processes, linux + XP just fine in all cases
                                        only from a cooled state it took a long time to power up!

i also will only buy new gigabyte boards with UD solid poly

holy cow, someone just came over with a gateway with 3 bad nichicon!!
                                        anyways, back to work...

Comment

I have a Gigabyte Ultra Durable 790x-UD4P, and it's a really nice board. It unlocked my Phenom X2 550BE (actually are failed quad cores) to give me three working cores. I think Gigabyte are the best manufacturer atm, followed by ASUS, shame DFi went up the creek!

Comment

Working...
                                          X