CH341a - Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CH341a - Questions

First, I saw in a video that the pin numbers printed on the adapter board are incorrect (black model w/green adapter board). And pin 5 is supposed to be pin 1. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, any documentation on what the jumper does? Comes default on pins 1-2.

And last ... I am working with a Winbond W25Q64FW from an HP 15-F010WM. I've managed to read the original chip ok, and saved the file. It was 8,192kb in size. But after successfully writing to a new chip, computer will not post. Put the old chip back on the mainboard, boots ok. Am I dealing with some HP nonsense ... or possibly a program limitation for the CH341?? I am using v1.29.

I downloaded the bios update from HP to see what was in it. Extracted the exe file ... and there are 5 different BIN files in it. All are 8,963kb in size. Too large according to the CH341 software. I assume there are five different ones for 5 different models and this one download covers the 5?? Just a guess.

Anyway ... looking for some input. Did a bit of google searching first. Didn't come up with much. I know there are a few of you here that are probably pretty familiar this device. Thanks.
    Last edited by katfish; 10-17-2016, 06:39 PM.

Re: CH341a - Questions

Seems the jumper might be for different voltage choices.

And after some more reading, I need a bios dump, not the exe from HP support. Is copying the original chip to a BIN file with the programmer, not a dump? Not new to computer repairs ... but I am new to bios related meddling like this

Comment

Originally posted by katfish View Post
      First, I saw in a video that the pin numbers printed on the adapter board are incorrect (black model w/green adapter board). And pin 5 is supposed to be pin 1. Can anyone confirm this?
      pcb marked "YFT246837" pin wiring is correct.

any documentation on what the jumper does? Comes default on pins 1-2.
      the jumper switches between programming and usb2serial adapter.
      good for hooking up to serial pins in stuff like routers.

I am working with a Winbond W25Q64FW from an HP 15-F010WM. I've managed to read the original chip ok, and saved the file. It was 8,192kb in size. But after successfully writing to a new chip, computer will not post. Put the old chip back on the mainboard, boots ok. Am I dealing with some HP nonsense ... or possibly a program limitation for the CH341?? I am using v1.29.

I downloaded the bios update from HP to see what was in it. Extracted the exe file ... and there are 5 different BIN files in it. All are 8,963kb in size. Too large according to the CH341 software. I assume there are five different ones for 5 different models and this one download covers the 5?? Just a guess.

Anyway ... looking for some input. Did a bit of google searching first. Didn't come up with much. I know there are a few of you here that are probably pretty familiar this device. Thanks.
      that more difficult.
      did you read the new chip to verify the data does match the original?
      and is it exactly the same part number?
      because if it is, they may be hiding security data in the one-time area. (read the datasheet)
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for response.

Did verify ok after writing the BIN file. Same exact chips. It's been a long time since I've meddled in anything bios related. I seem to recall many moons ago that HP did some strange stuff with DMI I think?? But that's old stuff.

Maybe I'm putting the adapter board on backwards then. Wasn't able to read the chip at all with pin 1 to pin 1 on the YFT board. With pin 1 on pin 5, it read ok. Or did it? LoL ... I watched a video on some discussion about it. Host claimed it was incorrect.

Here's a pic ... should the adapter on top be rotated 180 degrees?

Comment

pin1 on the adapter is printed and the pad is square.

the socket on the programmer is used differently for 24series and 25series though.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            pin1 on the adapter is printed and the pad is square.

the socket on the programmer is used differently for 24series and 25series though.
            Shows how much I pay attention. :P Tried it the other way around ... same result. Read original ok, flash new one ok, laptop still doesn't post with the new bios on it. Post fine with the old one.

The new chip is a donor from another HP board. That board has issues, so maybe I have something wrong with this chip. Going to dig through my pile of boards and see if I have another.

In the meantime ... think I'll get this software registered and updated as well. Seems like it might come in handy later.

Comment

Hi Katfish, could you tell me anything about the right position of the adapter board onto the CH341A mini programmer? I've got the same model but in my case the card can read bios (MX25L1005) only with adapter rotated of 180 degrees, as you said... Could you help me? And I'd like to see the discussion video you referred to... Thanks in advance for answer.

Comment

Originally posted by jostein View Post
                Hi Katfish, could you tell me anything about the right position of the adapter board onto the CH341A mini programmer? I've got the same model but in my case the card can read bios (MX25L1005) only with adapter rotated of 180 degrees, as you said... Could you help me? And I'd like to see the discussion video you referred to... Thanks in advance for answer.
                You are correct. You need to rotate the adapter 180 degrees to the photo above.

Comment

Hi, I've just bought CH341a pro black pcb from chine. I use windows 7 64 sp1 I try to load all drivers (SER or PAR ) but when I try to usb it says Device can not be recognized (code 43) I bought two and both of same error I try everything (on internet registry adjustment, usb.inf and usb.pnf copy to windows inf, restart when power off, uninstalling usb driver e.t.c... but the devices are not functional my pin assigment to 1-2 (I try other pins but nothing) can you help me ? what do I make wrong ? both of the ch341 pro are broken ? I try another laptops and desktops with different Windows (Win 7 32 bit, win xp, win 8.1 ) the all system as the same thing "Unknown device code 43" I have tried from 15 days. please help,
                  thanks,

Comment

i know nothing about win7,
                    but if it's like xp you should be able to get a list of recognised hardware on the screen.
                    anything not recognised will have a yellow questionmark against it.

do you have that screen, and is the programmer showing up there?

Comment

stj is this the one you have too move that jumper ? there is a youtube video regarding it

Comment

thanks for answering. my jumper set 1-2 but I try both ch341A pro 2-3 jumper no jumper and e.t.c (originally jumpers are 1-2) when plug the usb my ch341a first right bottom corner USB can not recognized the device appears first then when I check the device manager there is yellow question mark in the usb section with unknown device when I check the properties on it "the device stpped because of there is a problem (Code 43) " as written (Sorry for my english I'm from turkey and not my original language). My programmer is not shown orijinal name or something like that ...

Comment

what drivers are you using for the programmer itself these are the ones im using on a old vista and a windows 7 laptops
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by vinceroger69; 05-28-2017, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sadecebel View Post
                            device appears first then when I check the device manager there is yellow question mark in the usb section with unknown device when I check the properties on it "
                            good, at this point you can tell it to update the driver from a chosen location.
                            then point it to the driver you downloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by sadecebel View Post
                              thanks for answering. my jumper set 1-2 but I try both ch341A pro 2-3 jumper no jumper and e.t.c (originally jumpers are 1-2) when plug the usb my ch341a first right bottom corner USB can not recognized the device appears first then when I check the device manager there is yellow question mark in the usb section with unknown device when I check the properties on it "the device stpped because of there is a problem (Code 43) " as written (Sorry for my english I'm from turkey and not my original language). My programmer is not shown orijinal name or something like that ...
                              Just wondered if you managed to get the programmer working?

Comment

I tried to uptade the driver from chosen location, windows said that this driver not used for this device and I try old device modul from device manager to install the driver therefore windows says this driver can not suitable for amd64 driver I try all version of driver and/or all versiyon program packet (until version 1.31) nothing change ...

Comment

Wrong connected ! Should rotated 180 degrees
                                  Thanks for response.

Did verify ok after writing the BIN file. Same exact chips. It's been a long time since I've meddled in anything bios related. I seem to recall many moons ago that HP did some strange stuff with DMI I think?? But that's old stuff.

Maybe I'm putting the adapter board on backwards then. Wasn't able to read the chip at all with pin 1 to pin 1 on the YFT board. With pin 1 on pin 5, it read ok. Or did it? LoL ... I watched a video on some discussion about it. Host claimed it was incorrect.

Here's a pic ... should the adapter on top be rotated 180 degrees?

Comment

MY PROBLEM WITH THE PROGRAMMER IS THAT AFTER WRITING BIN FILE IT SAY CHIP AND CONTENT MISMACHED , EVEN WITH THE BACKUP BIN IT SHOW MIS MATCH CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ON THIS PLS. MY EMAIL nasirakande@gmail.com

Comment

read the chip, then use the verify option - do it atleast 5 times.
                                      that will tell if it's reading o.k. - if not then it's probably a bad connection to the chip or adapter.

Comment

btw, happy new year

Comment

Working...
                                        X