X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best cheap/free scores 1.1

More scores:

- Cooler Master Hyper H412R heatsink/fan combo w/ all the mounts
    - Plextor PX-800A PATA DVD-RW drive (rebranded Sony/Optiarc AD-7170A)
    - Arctic MX4 thermal paste
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Forgot editing the above post and couldn't add - a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 + i7 860 + stock Intel cooler combo should have been in the list as well.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by maxfolder
        Oh my God! So many things! What do you plan to do with it?
        Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Massive score today. Local shop that has been around since the 80's has closed, they gave me most all their stuff...and quite a few treasures!! There were two pickup loads so far....

Load # 1:

In the truck....

Those CPU's are still in the boxes. Lots of new old stock heatsinks & opticals

A ton of fans ranging from 80mm to 120mm....and a wonderful treasure full tower heavy metal case.

The stack of nobilis systems, most working but some had ram stolen. Most are 4th gen I-series. A stack of laptops too....I'm sure they're all junk.

All the full towers...and a couple new beige cases.

Pickup load # 2:

More GPU's and some vintage sound cards....and of course some keyboards....but hey, there's a flawless condition IBM PS/2 clicky in there.

Some more treasures!! A supermicro workstation/server, some dual S604 in it...case is immaculate. The Intel next to it is also in fabulous shape. Not sure what's in it.

A couple of those nice chenbro cases....

This little treasure is a box full of Win98SE OEM disks, never opened or used with COA's!!

HP 3800 color laser, said to work.

...and the wall of towers...

Not bad!!

Comment

Originally posted by maxfolder View Post
          Refurb & rehome as much of it as I can.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Probably one of the rarest finds of my career is on the way here from the UK as I type. got it very cheap....said to work, but has some corrosion damage from a leaky Varta battery.... Unlike others, I'll actually repair this damage!! <--had to!

This one will get a thread of its own...It's old enough to have one of those retarded motherboard killing varta's....but as per my usual, has 2 CPU's...
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Probably one of the rarest finds of my career is on the way here from the UK as I type. got it very cheap....said to work, but has some corrosion damage from a leaky Varta battery.... Unlike others, I'll actually repair this damage!! <--had to!

This one will get a thread of its own...It's old enough to have one of those retarded motherboard killing varta's....but as per my usual, has 2 CPU's...
              Dual 486?
              Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
              RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
              Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
              - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
              - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
              - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
              - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Nah, I'd lean towards early dual Socket 5 Pentiums. Some of those still had VARTA batteries that would leak today, from what I remember.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                  Dual 486?
                  I don't think there really ever was such an animal. I remember seeing a pic of a quad socketed 486 back in the 90's; some kooky proprietary server...and the point of the article was the 6-figure price tag this server had....but never have seen a multi-socketed 486 board in person.
                  Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                  Nah, I'd lean towards early dual Socket 5 Pentiums. Some of those still had VARTA batteries that would leak today, from what I remember.
                  You're close. Right era, wrong socket.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Well... at this point I can't think of anything else... was there a dual socket 4 motherboard ever made? All I could find pictures of were dual Socket 5, dual Socket 7 and dual socket 8 - all I've seen sported Dallas RTCs, not VARTA barrel batteries. Nothing on the Socket 4 side though...
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

...and dual socket 8...
                      Thar we go, we have a winner! The board is an AT form-factor Supermicro P6DNE. Not many made, absolutely impossible to find.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

I definitely was never expecting to see a dual socket 8 sport a VARTA barrel battery of all things. The more you get to know everyday.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Big score this week!
                          IBM PS/2 Model 25 (Type 8525, color monitor + 8086), works. Needs some work though.
                          TRS 80 Model 4. Works. I've got plenty of diskettes for it, but several are corrupted.
                          TRS 80 Model 1. Unknown condition. Has expansion interface, external diskette drive, and video monitor.
                          Gateway 14" laptop from 2012. Works.
                          Dell Studio 7000-series laptop, in pieces. Parting out because it's incomplete.
                          13" MacBook Pro, in pieces. Parting out due to liquid damage on the logic board.
                          MS-DOS 6.20, 3x 3.5" diskettes. Unknown condition.
                          Windows 3.1, 7x 1.2MB 5.25" diskettes. Unknown condition.
                          Dual-deck cassette recorder/player. Presumed working.
                          Late-90s VCR. Presumed working.

Don't ask anything about repairing the MacBook because I adamantly refuse to repair those things period.
                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Big score this week!
                            IBM PS/2 Model 25 (Type 8525, color monitor + 8086), works. Needs some work though.
                            If it's not all busted up (plastic gets very brittle/cracked), restore it and then safely store it away and let it age a little more. They're becoming quite collectable.... I have a little collection of various PS/2's myself.

TRS 80 Model 4. Works. I've got plenty of diskettes for it, but several are corrupted.
                            TRS 80 Model 1. Unknown condition. Has expansion interface, external diskette drive, and video monitor.
                            Those were never my cup-o-tea, but you won't have any trouble finding a home for those. Not overly valuable, but you'll make a few bucks on them.

MS-DOS 6.20, 3x 3.5" diskettes. Unknown condition.
                            Windows 3.1, 7x 1.2MB 5.25" diskettes. Unknown condition.
                            I wouldn't give high odds they're good...but stranger things have happened!

Dual-deck cassette recorder/player. Presumed working.
                            It'll need belts.

Late-90s VCR. Presumed working.
                            May need a drive belt and/or loader belt (if not gear-driven). Also remove the foam 'auto head cleaner'...over the years, it turns into a gummy ball and cruds up the head. Remove it, clean the heads manually, and good.

Don't ask anything about repairing the MacBook because I adamantly refuse to repair those things period.
                            I enjoy defeating their planned obsolescence....see my MacPro thread....but given the condition of yours, it sounds like recycle gaylord fodder.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Anything apple post 2010 is instant destruction on sight for me. These things have no right to exist whatsoever. Nothing good to harvest besides RAM at best.
                              Last edited by Dan81; 11-23-2022, 05:01 AM.
                              Main rig:
                              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                              16GB DDR3-1600
                              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Anything apple post 2010 is instant destruction on sight for me. These things have no right to exist whatsoever. Nothing good to harvest besides RAM at best.
                                And once you get to 2013+ the ram is soldered as well, and 2019+ so is the SSD (though the 2013+ generations used proprietary SSDs, so while having a socketed SSD was useful for upgrades and data recovery, they weren't much use in other systems), and annoyingly this "disease" of all soldered components in laptops is spreading across the industry. Though Apple still takes it to another level by gluing the f-ing battery to the case (nothing says planned obsolescence better than making the one component that is absolutely guaranteed to fail extremely difficult to replace), at least for the most part while other manufactures have gone to internal batteries (which is extremely annoying since packing a spare battery when you knew you were going to be away from power for a long time, like on a long flight or conference was a nice option) at least for the most part they are still held in with screws and fairly easily replicable (aside from whatever hoops you have to jump through to get into the laptop in the first place).
                                Last edited by dmill89; 11-23-2022, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Sledgehammer it is then. I refuse to let any Apple device exist in my household, for as long as I will live.

Samsung is always welcome tho. I know, they're the dumb asses that adopted most of Apple's stuff too, but they compensate with really good SSDs - I have a 1TB EVO 860 that's absolutely wonderful.
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

These things have no right to exist whatsoever.
                                    Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
                                    And once you get to 2013+ the ram is soldered as well, and 2019+ so is the SSD (though the 2013+ generations used proprietary SSDs, so while having a socketed SSD was useful for upgrades and data recovery, they weren't much use in other systems), and annoyingly this "disease" of all soldered components in laptops is spreading across the industry. Though Apple still takes it to another level by gluing the f-ing battery to the case (nothing says planned obsolescence better than making the one component that is absolutely guaranteed to fail extremely difficult to replace), at least for the most part while other manufactures have gone to internal batteries (which is extremely annoying since packing a spare battery when you knew you were going to be away from power for a long time, like on a long flight or conference was a nice option) at least for the most part they are still held in with screws and fairly easily replicable (aside from whatever hoops you have to jump through to get into the laptop in the first place).
                                    Amen, brothers. When someone asked me to repair them, I decline them every time. If they're dropping them off for recycling, of course I'll take them....and either enjoy defeating them or destroying them.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Thar we go, we have a winner! The board is an AT form-factor Supermicro P6DNE. Not many made, absolutely impossible to find.
                                      After 10 years of searching for one of these boards, I find one....and a week later another one pops up priced pretty low....so of course I grabbed it....but funny how this works. These boards were part of my 'daily searches' for weird things....and I find 2 in one week after a 10-year quest!! Unbelievable!
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

Considering that not too long after I found my ABIT BE6-II, a BX6 and a AI7 popped up (although for way too steep prices for my taste) , anything is possible.

Or that time I bought a GF4 Ti 4200 from Medion, only to find and buy a non-8x variant 2 weeks after (plus a Creative Audigy 1394 on the side, lol)
                                        Main rig:
                                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                        16GB DDR3-1600
                                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

i wouldnt complain about an apple product as long as it uses a PPC processor.
                                          if it's intel, it's parts. (shit parts at that)

Comment

Working...
                                          X