Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topcat's XPS 625 Revival - X8SAX then K8N-DL and finally P6X58-E WS; First 2021 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Topcat's XPS 625 Supermicro X8SAX Revival; First 2021 Build!

Originally posted by momaka View Post
    It's probably that new LG laptop that's the issue.
    2560x1920 on a 17" screen, remember?
    Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    That would be a weird aspect ratio.... 2560x 1600 is a 16:10 and 2560x1440 is a 16:9....
    2560x1920 seems to be in a 4:3 aspect ratio. not weird at all unless u consider high-res lcd screens in 4:3 aspect ratio to be weird and not the widescreen type as always then yes, it is weird.

anyways, really beautiful and practically designed case dell made there. luv the led lights in all the "considerate" spots for the servicing guys! i run all my systems caseless because of how computer cases these days are all garbage and overpriced. now after seeing that xps 625 case, it gives me hope... now i need to hunt for a case like that near me... lol!

Comment

I'm sure you remember the Dell/Alienware Aurora R7 case build recently....
      Yeah, that proprietary LED control board. You did quite a bit of work on that one to get it to work as it should.

Yes, I have seen worse when it comes to filth....the goat barn smell with this one was certainly one for the books though, it was a first!!
      I'll take it any day over rotten sewer / roach poop smell.

Maybe you should have left the smell and claimed it was from a Lama farm... then sell it to some rich kid who plays Fortnite.

Yea, I'm well aware of the 'twist off' method....what threw this one was the way the sink mounts into the backplate...its a coarse thread (like wood screw coarse) screw, threaded directly into the plastic; NOT the metal...yea, it was weird. When it let loose on one side sooner than I expected (yes I loosened them all gradually), but it still had enough spring tension on one side and it pulled the CPU out of the socket...
      Oh, I see. So this wasn't actually caused by you.

On a second and closer look... this heatsink looks to be very similar to what I have in my (now old) gaming PC. If you scroll down in that post, you can see the heatsink is nearly the same thing, but made for socket 775. The tie-down screws are the same too - very coarse and self-tapping, IIRC. I got that heatsink without the backplate. But luckily those coarse screws allowed me to use wood "stubs" to hold the heatsink. Ghetto? 100% yes But it works, and no one will probably know, unless they looked at the back of the mobo.

On that note, I'm curious...
      Was there a Dell part number written on your heatsink? If yes, do you mind sharing it? Sometimes I look on eBay for cheap heatsinks, and occasionally really good Dell and HP stuff pop-up for next to nothing. Having a P/N helps finding the good stuff.

By the time I got done with this, I've got 2 working days in it.
      Sounds about normal to me. I'd like to see anyone else get it done quicker with that much detail.

if this were some other fella who's time is crazy valuable, this would be a $4,000 system now!
      Nah, no one's time is truly that valuable. But some people tend to have an inflated sense of importance and think the world revolves around them.

For sure....but the MBZ's in the secondary along with the Ltecs sure had me scratching my head. The Ltecs were on the +12v rail, and of course the rail was noisy on the scope. The rail of course quieted down after replacing them.
      Antec Earthwatts EA380, EA430, and EA500 (based on Seasonic S12II platform) use some OST RLX caps on the secondary, which are almost on par with Rubycon MBZ and Nichicicon HM. I think it just has to do with higher switching frequency. I'm surprised they put the Ltecs on the 12V rail, though, as that's the most loaded rail. And in this case, the 12V rail wasn't even abused that much - the HD4670 is around 60 Watts TDP, and the X2 5600+ is either 67W or 89W. So worst case, there was maybe 150-160 Watts of draw from the 12V rail at most... and those Ltecs couldn't handle it. Shame.

That would be a weird aspect ratio.... 2560x 1600 is a 16:10 and 2560x1440 is a 16:9....
      Yeah, I figured I botched the numbers there, given the time I made that post (early AM hours), so was too lazy to check myself and just YOLO-ed it.

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
      i run all my systems caseless because of how computer cases these days are all garbage and overpriced.
      Garbage? - It depends on the case. I simply dislike newer cases for their all-black looks.
      Overpriced? - Not if you're willing to buy 2nd hand. On that note, my local Craigslist is pretty good in that regard. Every once in a while (a few times every few months, more or less) a decent case or two will pop-up for $10-20... and sometimes even cheaper. Obviously they do need a good cleaning more often than not - but I will gladly do that for a good case.
      Last edited by momaka; 01-26-2021, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah, that proprietary LED control board. You did quite a bit of work on that one to get it to work as it should.
        Don't forget the IO area that had to be surgically removed and the rest of the mods needed to shoehorn that beautiful X7DCA in there.

I'll take it any day over rotten sewer / roach poop smell.
        I've had roach poop infested PC's and other devices brought in...boggles my mind how a person can live like that.

Maybe you should have left the smell and claimed it was from a Lama farm... then sell it to some rich kid who plays Fortnite.
        Rich people for some reason tend to be some of the filthiest....go figure. Their devices tend to be the most dusty inside....but of course the face/front is clean.

Oh, I see. So this wasn't actually caused by you.

On a second and closer look... this heatsink looks to be very similar to what I have in my (now old) gaming PC. If you scroll down in that post, you can see the heatsink is nearly the same thing, but made for socket 775. The tie-down screws are the same too - very coarse and self-tapping, IIRC. I got that heatsink without the backplate. But luckily those coarse screws allowed me to use wood "stubs" to hold the heatsink. Ghetto? 100% yes But it works, and no one will probably know, unless they looked at the back of the mobo.
        Yea, I thought it was a bit ghetto too. There's sleeves that the screws hide in, you couldn't tell how quickly they were backing out....and then *snap*, out came the CPU...

On that note, I'm curious...
        Was there a Dell part number written on your heatsink? If yes, do you mind sharing it? Sometimes I look on eBay for cheap heatsinks, and occasionally really good Dell and HP stuff pop-up for next to nothing. Having a P/N helps finding the good stuff.
        Only number on it is: CN-0n108m-41362-916-00c1; a00. This is what comes up if I buzz the barcode with my barcode scanner:

CN0N108M4136291600C1
        A00

Sounds about normal to me. I'd like to see anyone else get it done quicker with that much detail.
        Someday when I'm dead & gone, hopefully these will be worth a fortune!!

Nah, no one's time is truly that valuable. But some people tend to have an inflated sense of importance and think the world revolves around them.
        Anymore, I like being insignificant.... Peaceful, quiet, low stress, life is good!!

Antec Earthwatts EA380, EA430, and EA500 (based on Seasonic S12II platform) use some OST RLX caps on the secondary, which are almost on par with Rubycon MBZ and Nichicicon HM. I think it just has to do with higher switching frequency. I'm surprised they put the Ltecs on the 12V rail, though, as that's the most loaded rail. And in this case, the 12V rail wasn't even abused that much - the HD4670 is around 60 Watts TDP, and the X2 5600+ is either 67W or 89W. So worst case, there was maybe 150-160 Watts of draw from the 12V rail at most... and those Ltecs couldn't handle it. Shame.
        I replaced them with UCC KZH, closest match that I had. Outputs looked beautiful on the scope and the PSU is working fine.

Obviously they do need a good cleaning more often than not - but I will gladly do that for a good case.
        I find it amazing how many techs think that cleaning is beneath them......
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Don't forget the IO area that had to be surgically removed and the rest of the mods needed to shoehorn that beautiful X7DCA in there.
          I actually did forget... but yeah, good point. That one had you moddin' like crazy.

I've had roach poop infested PC's and other devices brought in...boggles my mind how a person can live like that.
          It's a slippery slope, from what I've noticed - once you say "f- it" and let things slide with cleaning, it just progresses from there.

Though it also sometimes depends where you live too. I had one friend from high school who sold me a router without telling me he had roaches. Luckily I didn't get any live ones, but I later asked him about it. He said entire row house complex had them and that they would die down when the rental company came to do spraying for pests... but eventually, the roaches would come back after a month or two. Entire place was old and most bathrooms had crummy old wallpaper. And if you don't know, roaches LOVE digging behind old wallpaper (must be that glue! )

Rich people for some reason tend to be some of the filthiest....go figure. Their devices tend to be the most dusty inside....but of course the face/front is clean.
          That mirrors my findings 100%!

Well, it's not that ALL rich people are filthy... but like you said - "tend to be" is a good way to describe it.

If you recall, a while back I picked up this pair of speakers from the curb in front a nice big house that was built no more than 5-7 years ago (I actually remember when they tore out the old cottage house that used to sit there before it... like many others in my neighborhood) - not quite a "McMansion", but certainly owned by at least upper-middle class, given the house prices in that area. Anyways, these speakers really stunk like mold and were somewhat grimy. I even talked about it towards the end of that post.

Another time, I bought a microwave when I was moving to my college apt. Found one on Craigslist for cheap from, again, an upper-middle class neighborhood. It was soo greasy that I had to take the back off and wipe just about even nuke and crevice I could get to. (Perhaps that's why it was cheap and no one buying it... though I've seen similar appliances for free from much crappier neighborhoods, and they were clean and worked fine.)

IDK. Maybe less rich folks tend to care for their stuff more/better.

Only number on it is: CN-0n108m-41362-916-00c1; a00. This is what comes up if I buzz the barcode with my barcode scanner:

CN0N108M4136291600C1
          A00
          Thanks!

I think 0n108m or CN-0n108m should be the right model. The heatsink I used on my 780i-SLI has M/N "0N764D"... which comes stock with most Dell XPS 630 and a few similar other systems, IIRC.

Anyways, these M/Ns are good to keep in mind and check back for on eBay once in a while. Occasionally, some sellers will put only that M/N but not the actual model of the PC it came from, and you might find them selling it for cheap. That's how I got my 2nd 0N764D heatsink for $10 shipped!

Also, unrelated, but while I was looking for a heatsink like the one in your XPS 625, I also found a picture of an XPS 625 system that was configured with two ATI Radeon HD4870 video cards with a Crossfire connector and also a Phenom II X4 CPU... so looks like that motherboard may not be total scrap, after all , as it seems to support both SLI and Crossfire, along with Athlon II X2/4 and Phenom II X4 CPUs. Might fetch you a few $, despite the bad LAN port.

Anymore, I like being insignificant.... Peaceful, quiet, low stress, life is good!!
          Same.

I replaced them with UCC KZH, closest match that I had. Outputs looked beautiful on the scope and the PSU is working fine.
          No doubt.
          When I was fixing my Antec EA-500 PSU, I didn't even have anything close to spec of the original failed 16V, 3300 uF OST RLX. So I used a 16V, 2200 uF UCC LXZ (or LXV?) cap. It still worked fine.

I find it amazing how many techs think that cleaning is beneath them......
          And not only. I find it amazing how many -people- think that -any kind of- cleaning is beneath them - be it their cars, their homes, and so on. I'm not a "neat freak" by a long shot and can tolerate a certain level of "messiness". But specific area - like the kitchen counters - I absolutely despise seeing a mess there.
          Last edited by momaka; 02-04-2021, 01:25 AM.

Comment

This system has been stripped of its core (motherboard, CPU, and RAM), as I needed them for a production build; work before play I guess......but fear not, this system will be reborn, it just might be a while!

Hint: Very rare Opteron 890....
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

This system has been stripped of its core (motherboard, CPU, and RAM), as I needed them for a production build; work before play I guess......but fear not, this system will be reborn, it just might be a while!

Hint: Very rare Opteron 890....
              Well, it started as an AMD system... so might as well continue to be one.

Comment

Well, it started as an AMD system... so might as well continue to be one.
                Yes, that is a perk in a way...just a slightly different platform, but close in age. The source of the 'rebirth' is a workstation type system I built for a family member many moons ago. The system went kaput some time ago (became unstable), and has been sitting in his basement since. He ran it about 8yrs. Probably bad caps in the PSU (its an Antec of the right era)...I'm sure it's nothing that can't be fixed. He lives up near Chicago, so I probably won't see it until later this summer....but here's hint # 2: Asus K8N-DL

I also discovered that through the use of Dell's AlienFX software, all the cool lighting in this case can be controlled....color, what's on and what's off, brightness....I haven't tried it yet (obviously can't now)...but if you remember from earlier in the thread, it all interfaces the motherboard (any motherboard) through a basic internal USB header!
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

I've had great luck with the socket 940's I've built... as long as they have SM mobos! All my others were Tyans and were either quirky or blew up. Still run twin 285's in my server...
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 05-16-2021, 09:02 PM.
                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                    I've had great luck with the socket 940's I've built... as long as they have SM mobos! All my others were Tyans and were either quirky or blew up. Still run twin 285's in my server...
                    I built this thing circa 2008 or so, it was solid as well...or I'd have never released it to a family member. It's also a standard ATX (not eATX), which helps.... I've never had the pleasure of playing around with a supermicro s940 system, but I've been cursed to have had the displeasure of quite a few wonky Tyans.....
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

I built this thing circa 2008 or so, it was solid as well...or I'd have never released it to a family member. It's also a standard ATX (not eATX), which helps.... I've never had the pleasure of playing around with a supermicro s940 system, but I've been cursed to have had the displeasure of quite a few wonky Tyans.....
                      I do happen to have one sitting... with 285's and dual GTX250's no less. Other than weird BSODs right when I retired it, it was rock solid and did the job well. One of my favorite builds, actually (and my only one in a "small" EATX case).
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 05-17-2021, 11:03 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                        I do happen to have one sitting... with 285's and dual GTX250's no less. Other than weird BSODs right when I retired it, it was rock solid and did the job well. One of my favorite builds, actually (and my only one in a "small" EATX case).
                        Yea, I remember that build. I think a lot of hte 940 wonkiness is the chipset itself. For example, if you run the max 16gb of RAM supported (all slots populated, it's a ranking thing), it won't run stable @ 400MHz, you have to clock the memory bus down to 266...otherwise it would BSoD left & right....that was the worst of it, but the K8N-DL only supports 12gb (only has 6 slots), so it's not a factor.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

Yea, I remember that build. I think a lot of hte 940 wonkiness is the chipset itself. For example, if you run the max 16gb of RAM supported (all slots populated, it's a ranking thing), it won't run stable @ 400MHz, you have to clock the memory bus down to 266...otherwise it would BSoD left & right....that was the worst of it, but the K8N-DL only supports 12gb (only has 6 slots), so it's not a factor.
                          I remember!

Hence why I only run 8GB RAM... the speed helps more than the size.
                          sigpic

Comment

The source of the 'rebirth' is a workstation type system I built for a family member many moons ago. The system went kaput some time ago (became unstable), and has been sitting in his basement since. He ran it about 8yrs. Probably bad caps in the PSU (its an Antec of the right era)...I'm sure it's nothing that can't be fixed. He lives up near Chicago, so I probably won't see it until later this summer....but here's hint # 2: Asus K8N-DL
                            Hmm...
                            I see that's a board with nVidia nForce 4 chipset... so that could also be the reason why, especially if the chipset fan failed (somewhat common for those small 40 mm screamer fans.) And in general, I think anything nForce 3 and newer isn't very reliable... though nowhere near as bad as the nForce 6100/6150 and later chipsets like the 680 and 780 (all those "for parts" EVGA 680i/780i -SLI are a prime example of that.)

But fingers crossed yours is just down to a bad PSU.

I also discovered that through the use of Dell's AlienFX software, all the cool lighting in this case can be controlled....color, what's on and what's off, brightness....I haven't tried it yet (obviously can't now)...but if you remember from earlier in the thread, it all interfaces the motherboard (any motherboard) through a basic internal USB header!
                            That would be really nice. Should spare you (hopefully) some more hair pulling by not having to figure out how to make the original Alienware LED controller work anymore.

Comment

Hmm...
                              I see that's a board with nVidia nForce 4 chipset... so that could also be the reason why, especially if the chipset fan failed (somewhat common for those small 40 mm screamer fans.) And in general, I think anything nForce 3 and newer isn't very reliable... though nowhere near as bad as the nForce 6100/6150 and later chipsets like the 680 and 780 (all those "for parts" EVGA 680i/780i -SLI are a prime example of that.)

But fingers crossed yours is just down to a bad PSU.
                              I have a little inside information.... The PSU is an Antec HE650 (seasonic build), well known for failed caps. It was new when I built the system, I did not recap it....so I'm pretty confident it's the PSU....but if it's not, I won't let a pair of rare Opteron 890's go to waste....I'll find something else that will run 'em.

That would be really nice. Should spare you (hopefully) some more hair pulling by not having to figure out how to make the original Alienware LED controller work anymore.
                              That's the nice thing about the lighting in this one....without software loaded, the lighting just runs at its default settings. I have read that it won't install unless it somehow detects the Dell/alienware motherboard....perhaps the installer reads the BIOS....I guess we'll find out....the lighting is still super mad-tyte cool even if the software won't run.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

The PSU is an Antec HE650 (seasonic build), well known for failed caps.
                                Could anything even be quite as bad as the CWT Antecs in the mid-2000s?
                                I regularly saw them with a bulging Fukyyu cap! LOL!
                                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                                  Uhm... PowMax with Rulycon caps??
                                  There are many worse PSUs than those Antecs, even today. You can still get $10< gutless wonders that blow up as soon as you hit the power button on your PC.

Comment

Uhm... PowMax with Rulycon caps??
                                    There are many worse PSUs than those Antecs, even today. You can still get $10< gutless wonders that blow up as soon as you hit the power button on your PC.
                                    Of course! I was talking about what is bad for Antec PSU standards. (especially expectations)
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

I regularly saw them with a bulging Fukyyu cap! LOL!
                                      The seasonics were about the same except the unit was a decent build with crap caps; usually a combo of capxon, teapo, and 'fukyyu'.....
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

The seasonics were about the same except the unit was a decent build with crap caps; usually a combo of capxon, teapo, and 'fukyyu'.....
                                        I remember back in 2008, the best I could afford, was a PSU with Teapo and Ost. (The FSP 500W that I had for 8 years, before I gave it away with a PC)

Now, a PSU is usually on my ban list for having cap brands with a reported history of problems.
                                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

I remember back in 2008, the best I could afford, was a PSU with Teapo and Ost. (The FSP 500W that I had for 8 years, before I gave it away with a PC)

Now, a PSU is usually on my ban list for having cap brands with a reported history of problems.
                                          I'll buy 'em (used) if the price is right and if I can get decent caps to swap in.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X