Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual output power supply 5 and 12 volts (no output)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dual output power supply 5 and 12 volts (no output)

Originally posted by falcontech View Post
    the lan cable tester also acts as a multimeter, however can I use the yellow one? what voltage should i detect between the two points?
    What two points? Should I make a guess? 300vdc
    Last edited by R_J; 02-01-2021, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      What two points? Should I make a guess?
      Sorry, I think I don't understand what I have to do exactly,
      "What are you using as a" tester "? If it is a dvm or multimeter, just check the voltage with the ground on the negative lead of the 68µf / 400v capacitor and then on the DRAIN of the mosfet.
      Also check and post the voltage on each pin of the ic
      Pin1 =
      pin2 =
      etc. "
      I first have to check the voltage between the negative of the big capacitor and the drain of the mosfet right? Then should I put the negative probe on the ground of the IC and test all the other pins with the positive probe?

Comment

You can use the negative lead on the big capacitor for all the tests, that is what is called HOT ground.
        Check that there is voltage on the drain of the mosfet (that is the center pin) be careful not to short to any other pin. the voltage on the drain should be around 325VDC
        Then leave the negative probe on the cap negative and check EACH of the ic pins
        Pin1=
        pin2=
        pin3=
        pin4=
        pin5=
        pin6=
        pin7=
        pin8=

Comment

all clear, let's hope my hands don't shake , I'll do the test and let you know

Comment

all clear, let's hope my hands don't shake , I'll do the test and let you know
            When checking the ic voltages just follow the trace from the pin and check the voltage on the next closest component, that way there is less of a chance of shorting.

Comment

voltage between capacitor and drain 315 volts
              Pin1 = 0
              Pin2 = 0
              Pin3 = 0
              Pin4 = 0
              Pin5 = 0
              Pin6 = 0.08
              Pin7 = 0
              Pin8 = 0

Comment

voltage between capacitor and drain 315 volts
                Pin1 = 0
                Pin2 = 0
                Pin3 = 0
                Pin4 = 0
                Pin5 = 0
                Pin6 = 0.08
                Pin7 = 0
                Pin8 = 0
                What happened? Post #24 you had
                i've 8,2 volts, the capacitor is 47uf-35 volts
                Is the 220k that connects the 315 volts to pin7 of the ic bad? Is the diode that is mounted across the ic bad?

Comment

forgive me I had left the tester set to test the big capacitor with the drain, here are the updated results

Pin1=0,47
                  Pin2=0,18
                  Pin3=0,35
                  Pin4=0,58
                  Pin5=0,87
                  Pin6=8,20
                  Pin7=0,03
                  Pin8=0

Comment

Re: Doppio alimentatore in uscita da 5 e 12 volt (nessuna uscita)

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                    What happened? Post #24 you had
                    Is the 220k that connects the 315 volts to pin7 of the ic bad? Is the diode that is mounted across the ic bad?
                    I can check, it's one of the ones I replaced first, I also check the diode but I had already done it and it was good
                    Last edited by falcontech; 02-01-2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Re: Doppio alimentatore in uscita da 5 e 12 volt (nessuna uscita)

Last edited by R_J; 02-01-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

forgive me I had left the tester set to test the big capacitor with the drain, here are the updated results

Pin1=0,47
                        Pin2=0,18
                        Pin3=0,35
                        Pin4=0,58
                        Pin5=0,87
                        Pin6=8,20
                        Pin7=0,03
                        Pin8=0
                        Your pin voltages are wrong. are you sure pin 6 has 8.2v and not pin7?

Comment

yes there is an error I inverted the pins, working with the ic on the contrary I made a bit of a mess ...

Pin5=0
                          Pin6=0,03
                          Pin7=8,20
                          Pin8=0,87

others are right

Comment

Check the resistance of pin8 (ref) to pin5(ground) Pin 8 should have +5 volts if the ic is working, If the pin is not shorted or very low resistance to ground, check the output pins of the optocoupler to see if they are shorted. if not I suspect the ic is bad.
                            If you look at the datasheet you will see that the VCC pin supplies the 5v reference, so with 8.x volts on the vcc pin, the ref should be there as well.

Also check the winding of the transformer (marked in yellow) it should read less than 1Ω
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by R_J; 02-01-2021, 02:50 PM.

Comment

so in summary, I have to test if between pin 5 and pin 8 of the IC there are 5volts, I had already tested the optocoupler, I tested the output as a diode test, but it didn't mark anything, is it right or did I have to have some value? and then the transformer

Comment

I did the tests you asked me, between pins 5 and 8 I have 0,89 volts, the winding of the transformer that I tested without power is 0.01ohm

Comment

It's all getting very strange, what could I see again?

Comment

I wanted to tell you that I have another one working, could I do some tests?

Comment

I noticed a big mistake, the resistance marked on the photo, originally was 4.7Kohm and not 47ohm, could it affect?
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I noticed a big mistake, the resistance marked on the photo, originally was 4.7Kohm and not 47ohm, could it affect?
                                        That would likely not effect the ic's operation, it would cause a problem once the power supply started and would likely just blow the 47Ω resistor.

Comment

I did the tests you asked me, between pins 5 and 8 I have 0,89 volts, the winding of the transformer that I tested without power is 0.01ohm
                                          That's not what I asked. I said check the resistance between the pins not the voltage, I already no the voltage is .8v . If nothing is shorting pin 8 to ground, then the ic is bad and not producing the 5 volt reference.
                                          It could be possible that zener diode connected to the vcc line is bad. It could check like a regular diode but be zenering at too low a voltage.
                                          Since you have another power supply, compare the resistance of the ic pins to ground and see id there is a difference
                                          Last edited by R_J; 02-02-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X