Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD AthlonXP multipliers on old motherboards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD AthlonXP multipliers on old motherboards...

Is there a way I can get higher multipliers on old AMD motherboards?

Was looking at an old socket A board that does not support AthlonXP's. It has a BIOS multiplier limit that's not quite high enough, which is fine for the old clock unlocked Athlons. What happens if I stick an AthlonXP that needs a higher multiplier?

If I'm stuck at the highest BIOS set multiplier, is it possible to get a higher multiplier than the limit, or would it work like Intel boards that automagically use the chip locked multiplier regardless of what the BIOS is set?

Re: AMD AthlonXP multipliers on old motherboards...

so what does the board do?
    last time i tried this the bios refused to run because it didnt recognise the cpu i.d.

Comment

Don't know yet, only heard anecdotal evidence that it will "work" but wanted to get all the ducks in a row, and this definitely could be an issue...

So the time you tried, the bios just said "unknown cpu, system halted" or didn't bother trying to boot?

Comment

it said unknown cpu i.d. and just sat there.
        this was an msi board.

Comment

Ah. doh. This is an abit board, so not sure. Only "good" sign is that the abit bios has overclocking features, just that its multiplier does not go up all the way.

Comment

No you can't get a higher multiplier but you can use a lower one and a higher FSB speed,. It's called overclocking.��

Comment

Some boards can be forced flashed to a different board with higher multiplier but you don't say what board and cpu you are trying to use so it's hard to help.

Comment

so there are no bios updates? even hacked ones?

Comment

He does state what board and cpu he is trying to use so it's impossible to give help.

Comment

You can try increasing the FSB. Although on these old boards it is most likely that FSB is tied to the frequency of the AGP/PCI and dramatically changing the FSB would lead to AGP/PCI cards running out of spec and possible problems from this. Most of these boards do not support AGP/PCI locking.
                    Last edited by televizora; 02-22-2021, 04:34 PM.
                    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

I doubt motherboards made before the second half of 2001 are even electrically compatible with Athlon XP.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Yeah I'm slightly worried about the default voltage of 1.85 volts I think, but the board can reduce the voltage to what it should be. Just that the multiplier and FSB speeds aren't up to snuff.

Comment

Default for T-bird, is usually 1.75V.

Thoroughbred and Barton are 1.65V for the usual desktop variants.

2.4 at 1.80V is usually a golden sample. Even more so if you can hit 2.43 at 1.80V. (For the usual desktop variants)
                          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 02-22-2021, 11:46 PM.
                          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I suspect the jumpers on the OPGA are "read" via firmware and plugged into the multiplier versus directly used? I wonder what kind of mapping and perhaps it will map some of the lower multipliers to higher ones, like what my Celeron 1200 does (it reports like 174MHz CPU as the FW has no idea what CPU it is... though the multiplier is correct!)

Hope something like this for the athlon is possible. The most annoying hurdle is that this board is 100/200MHz FSB and the XP is 133/266MHz so I'll lose some speed there...

Comment

check the chipset - maybe it can do 133/266

Comment

Not KT133's... despite its name...

Comment

Working...
                                X