Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Power Supplies and Power Supply Design
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #3101
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
City & State: Thessaloniki, Greece
My Country: Greece
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 1,979
Default Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukyCon View Post
Some notes i forgot to add to the main post due to time restrictions: The main control IC is a TL494L PWM controller with a TP3510 supervisor IC.
All of the wires are 20AWG, with an exception for the PS-ON wire which is 22AWG.
the two smaller transformers are roughly 30mm tall by 20mm wide.
Based off the date codes on components, this thing was made around early 2011.
I'm not a power supply expert, so i'm unsure what the full capability of this thing is, i will say however that the primary caps seem a bit undersized for 350w.
Anyways that's that and sorry for double posting.
The worst thing here is the output rectifier for 12V rail.

I mean, this thing was made in 2010, 10 years after the Pentium 4 cpus that were the first cpus drawing power from 12V rail.

It should be power heavy on 12V and light on the other rails, not the other way.

But the good news is that you could replace the part with a proper 30A schottky diode with V reverse of 60V or more
goodpsusearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:27 AM   #3102
momaka
Badcaps Veteran
 
momaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
City & State: VA (NoVA)
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 9,475
Default Re: ISO Model: ISO-400 350w PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukyCon View Post
Hello, I've been wanting to show this PSU for a while, but have not due to a mix of laziness and fear that i would once again make a fool of myself.
Laziness/procrastination, I can understand.
But making a fool of yourself? I mean, you're just posting about a PSU. Have no worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukyCon View Post
The main transformer's size is 36.5mm wide by 45mm tall (i'm guessing this makes it an ERL36).
Should be 35, as the sizes are more or less standard (28, 33, 35, 40, and etc.) Not that this is the only important parameter. Height matters as well. You can have a supposedly ERL35 traffo. But if it's very short, that means less core material and less space for windings as well, which can translate to a hotter-running traffo.

But the one in this ISO looks normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukyCon View Post
Now i'm not sure how capable this is for 350w of power
With the size of those primary caps and output toroid... eh, probably not. With 470 uF, 200V input caps, I'd say the limit is closer to 250-300 Watts tops. The output toroid seems kind of small too, so it probably won't allow for more either. If these two were bigger, the 13009 BJTs on the primary should allow it to do 350 Watts continuous and maybe 400W peak for short periods of time (under a minute.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukyCon View Post
the Gun primary caps immediately reminded me of my Winsa PSU, which i suspected at the time was possibly OEMed by CWT (like this PSU), but didn't think CWT would lower their standards to such a level to make such a thing.
Yeah, that Winsa PSU kind of tries to look like a CWT with those green transformers. However, the PCB layout is not something I have seen come out of CWT. So hard to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukyCon View Post
I hope this post is any good
Yessir!
Thanks for sharing your PSU pics with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post


don't think CWT has anything to do with this PoS, likely some fake copy if anything

they make CM6800 based PSUs as the cheapest for way more than a decade now
Nah, Rukycon is correct - this is indeed a CWT PSU. It's just an extremely old platform from the early 2000's, known as the "ISO" line. The TL494 and TPS3510 ICs on the secondary side and the way they are arranged is one of the giveaways. The "Lineplay Pass" sticker on the primary caps is another one. I see that the Winsa PSU has that sticker as well. On a second look, that may be a CWT PSU as well.

Indeed hard to imagine why CWT would make such crap, but you never know. CWT still churns out some cheapo PSUs, so maybe this was an updated replacement for the ISO budget line? Or perhaps an even more stripped down budget PSU meant for 3rd world countries only??

With the large-scale manufacturing of today, though, it's still mind-boggling to try to understand why such POS PSUs are still made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemot View Post


don't think CWT has anything to do with this PoS, likely some fake copy if anything

they make CM6800 based PSUs as the cheapest for way more than a decade now
Nah, Rukycon is correct - this is indeed a CWT PSU. It's just an extremely old platform from the early 2000's, known as the "ISO" line. The TL494 and TPS3510 ICs on the secondary side and the way they are arranged is one of the giveaways. The "Lineplay Pass" sticker on the primary caps is another one. I see that the Winsa PSU has that sticker as well. On a second look, that may be a CWT PSU as well.

Indeed hard to imagine why CWT would make such crap, but you never know. CWT still churns out some cheapo PSUs, so maybe this was an updated replacement for the ISO budget line? Or perhaps an even more stripped down budget PSU meant for 3rd world countries only??

With the large-scale manufacturing of today, though, it's still mind-boggling to try to understand why such POS PSUs are still made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpsusearch View Post
Protection? No, we don't have this here

I have noticed several times Linkworld psus with bulging caps and 12V rail going up to even 14V and the psu still working

This is the thing I don't like at all at Linkworld power supplies. But, maybe this is common in many cheap psus, can't tell for sure.
Well, under and over-voltage protections seem to always have been problematic for cheapo PSUs, especially ones based on half-bridge. But I remember reading some bargain basement PSU reviews a while back, and Linkworld PSUs - at least those with their own proprietary ICs - were among the few that would shut down when overloaded (OPP, likely?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodpsusearch View Post
But the good news is that you could replace the part with a proper 30A schottky diode with V reverse of 60V or more
Yup.
But question after that is what will burn next if you try to pull that kind of power? The output toroid and 12V rail snubber already look like they were barely making it by the skin of their teeth. I don't imagine they could take much more.

Last edited by momaka; 07-10-2020 at 11:31 AM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:41 AM   #3103
RukyCon
A Fake Rubycon
 
RukyCon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
City & State: Peoples Republic of California
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 122.5VAC 59.9Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 574
Default Re: ISO Model: ISO-400 350w PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Laziness/procrastination, I can understand.
But making a fool of yourself? I mean, you're just posting about a PSU. Have no worries!
I tend to make super obvious mistakes if i'm left here for too long, something that a lot of people here must have seen first hand at some point, i try my best for it not to happen, but it still happens a lot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Should be 35, as the sizes are more or less standard (28, 33, 35, 40, and etc.) Not that this is the only important parameter. Height matters as well. You can have a supposedly ERL35 traffo. But if it's very short, that means less core material and less space for windings as well, which can translate to a hotter-running traffo.

But the one in this ISO looks normal.
I wasn't too familiar with the transformer sizing and the different sizes, so i didn't know if ERL36 was a size.


Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
With the size of those primary caps and output toroid... eh, probably not. With 470 uF, 200V input caps, I'd say the limit is closer to 250-300 Watts tops. The output toroid seems kind of small too, so it probably won't allow for more either. If these two were bigger, the 13009 BJTs on the primary should allow it to do 350 Watts continuous and maybe 400W peak for short periods of time (under a minute.)
I could at the very least put bigger caps on the primary side to improve hold up time, but thats assuming i have a use for it, which at the moment, i do not.
RukyCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2020
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 AM.
Did you find this forum helpful?