X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

I actually ended up getting the same PSU that kc8adu got
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=237 except even cheaper (it's missing the input filter line choke!). I assume the one in the picture was "taken care of..."

I initially assumed it was actually dead (because it had been opened - it was missing its cover) when I got it intending to see if I can rootcause the problem... but no, it still seems to work! But there's no way in #### that this can do 400W. 150W maybe? Any guesses?
    This is a UC3843 design, single transistor. The 2-transistor 5VSB has a TO126 13003 transistor I think, probably this can do no more than 100mA maybe on 5VSB...

I measured around 50mV of noise eyeballing it on my analog scope, about 12.2V and 5.2V with a small load (3W on 12V rail, 2.5W on 5V)...
    Last edited by eccerr0r; 12-20-2012, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
      This thing is causing intermittent issues. I'm guessing one of the caps died without bloating because it's restarting the computer every once in a while. Re branded Hipro, never seen that name before. Looks well built, and first time I've seen a 4700uF 10V cap before. Besides the nice 2200uF 16V KZE cap on the 5VSB, the caps are Elite for the primary and Ltec/Teapo on the secondary. Definitely going to recap it
      I know this is kinda far back, but if you don't mind me asking, since it's kind of hard for me to discern from those images (and since capacitor can sizes can vary largely), are the primary capacitors in that 680uF/200V/85C or 820uF/200V/85C?
      Last edited by Wester547; 12-22-2012, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
        I know this is kinda far back, but if you don't mind me asking, since it's kind of hard for me to discern from those images (and since capacitor can sizes can vary largely), are the primary capacitors in that 680uF/200V/85C or 820uF/200V/85C?
        They're 820uF/200V/85C Elite caps. I recapped all the caps except for those Elite caps and I stress tested it for 6 hours and it didn't cause any issues

Comment

Lc-b400atx "400w"
          Attached Files

Comment

Fake PFC coil detected? Would you mind tearing the PFC apart? I bet the blue wire is just tucked behind the tape
            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Whoa! PFC 2000!!!! It must be good!!!! And I'm sure those input caps are 330, I will show proof later!

This Allied is just like the one from the Jonny's review, although a little older. The only difference is they used YC/HEC caps instead of Asia X and the fans are sleeve bearing Sunon instead of sleeve bearing Globe Fans. I think it's worth recapping. Since the MOSFETs blew around 375W on Jonny's, what kind do you think it would need to be able to do more wattage? Although I don't know if the transformer could handle any more than that
              Attached Files

Comment

I can't see the PFC, show

If the transistors didn't blow up because of something else, than whatever you will put into it, it will blow because of core saturation past 400 W. I think this can be made safe and stable for 350 W.
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                  I can't see the PFC, show

If the transistors didn't blow up because of something else, than whatever you will put into it, it will blow because of core saturation past 400 W. I think this can be made safe and stable for 350 W.
                  Okay, makes sense. The heatsinks are pretty good for 350 at least. I'm glad I decided to replace the little caps in between the transformers and primary because their ESR was very high

Comment

Probably fried because of the heat…

Comment

I can't find the datasheets and I don't have 3300uF 10V caps in this size that will fit under that secondary heatsink. You think this Panny cap matches ripple? They're the same dimensions
                      Attached Files

Comment

Those YC capacitors are actually pretty good when it comes to Chinese crap capacitors.

If they're kept cool, the specs are quite OK. If they overheat, they puke their electrolyte.

Their ESR is probably below 0.15 ohm

Comment

That one is bulged but the only one on the secondary that wasn't bulged, which was a 3300uF 10V cap, measured 3377uF and 0.02 ESR. I was impressed. That Panasonic has the same ESR but I'm just wondering if you think that ripple will be on par with the YC

Comment

If I am not mistaken, ripple is voltage across ESR so if they have the same ESR, they have the same ripple

Comment

Awesome thank you

Comment

SON OF A BITCH! I forgot to put the plastic cover on the bottom and the thing shorted out and popped the fuse when I flipped the switch BUT it was still pulling 4W on my kill-a-watt afterwards, is it possible that it's still alive? And I just want to make sure, I have noted on the picture, on the AC in Black wire, the joint connects to the same one as the fuse, was that a mistake on my part and what caused the fuse to pop or was it the short from the leads touching the case?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Black is used for phase here so I guess white is neutral. But have a look, if there is daughterboard for filtration, it tends to be marked on both ends, so check if you have N going to N and L to L.

Seems no major damage was done so probably it just got shorted to case. Check all the nearby transistors and diodes if they are not blown up. In my case when cap discharged to ground through case several years ago, it blown up half of the +5 V SB circuitry including wiring on transformer, so I lost my nice 500W OEM Seasonic there…

Now I somehow tend to cut all those long legs in there, even if there is plastic insulation under the PCB, and the more when there isn't.

Comment

I hope it is still alive. And yes the white wire goes to Neutral. I don't know what I was thinking! I guess I was just eager to test it

Comment

Got this brand new Antec BP350P-EC for just 15 EUR from a liquidation.

Switchers are 13009's.

Teapos and Crapxons all around.

The only rectifiers I can read are the +12V ones, two 16A HBR16200 back to back. The PWM controller is a FSP3528 (Fortron).

Two details I don't understand ...

· Why there is no thermistor ? They just jumpered its parking slot ! Is this PSU unprotected from inrush currents?

· What are those two weird thin wires coming from the main transformer to near the rectifier bridge for? Perhaps passive PFC stuff?
                                      Last edited by TELVM; 12-30-2012, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Fortron 60GLC/N design. As for thermistor, manufacturing savings? As for the wires, no idea. Some "feedback" to improve PFC on diferents loads maybe? Passive PFC is usually best at some particular power, on different loads it is less effective.

Comment

That thing will do its rated wattage but the efficiency is horrid. I have one and granted I'm on 120VAC but it averages 65-69% efficiency

Comment

Working...
                                          X