Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown pogo pin Li-Po battery charger - the unsafest I have seen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown pogo pin Li-Po battery charger - the unsafest I have seen!

Bought this unit from an Australian seller on eBay, and both pogo pins are moveable to suit just about any single cell Li-Po battery.
    Inside is a single half-wave rectifier with a 2.2uF/400V filter and HT13001 primary switcher, AC side bias filter is 4.7uF/50V, 5V/1.25A output filter is 220uF/10V with a 1N5819 rectifier, and the Y capacitor between the AC 0V and DC 0V is unapproved.
    Clearences are unacceptably close, even by my standards, and the AC "fuse" is a 1R0 1/2W resistor.
    Check out the pictures and see for yourself how unsafe this unit actually is.

One other thing: I had to use a rubber band to hold in a Fujifilm NP-45A while a slightly wider Nokia BL-5CB held in without a rubber band.
    Attached Files
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Unknown pogo pin Li-Po battery charger - the unsafest I have seen!

You haven't seen anything.
    Watch that:
    https://youtu.be/QwqFkelUs_g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tMuXuIYkco

THAT is unsafe.

Comment

Speaking of Li-ion "pogo" chargers ... suddenly it seems hard to find 2-cell versions, or are they still around? Most of the adapt-a-cell li-ion chargers I've seen recently are 1-cell only.

I happened to chance upon two 1 or 2-cell units, one AC120-220V/DC12V and one DC12V only powered. The DC12V-only model I had to repair, got lucky that I found a poorly soldered transistor, as no schematic and surface mount would have meant bin time...

And these "pogo" chargers still don't handle the Kodak KLIC-8000 Li-ion cell... Can't figure out how to use one to reliably charge...

Comment

those are called universal phone battery chargers they are like 4 bucks and can be used on all sorts of phone batteries that has exposed contacts

Comment

Most of the "universal" chargers are 1-cell nowadays (3.7V) since most phones are 3.7V versus 2-cell "7.4V" ... the 2-cell seems rather rare nowadays.

In any case the KLIC-8000 is really tough to latch on for the universal chargers, at least the two I have...

Comment

Working...
          X