Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my Laptops Hard Drive on it's Way Out? (4 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is my Laptops Hard Drive on it's Way Out? (4 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024)

Copy/paste the whole SMART report. Dunno how you get that on Windows, but on Linux you get the full report with `smartctl -a /dev/sda`. Gives you all the drive info (model, capacity, firmware, etc…), all the SMART values, the SMART error log, and the previous tests ran on the drive. Easy to spot if something is wrong with all that.
    Also good to run a hard drive speed test on the whole drive to know if the drive has any issue reading some regions. (I think HD Tune is good for that)
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by ruky con View Post
      I only use under 1/3 of the 1TB.
      Then you can shrink the partition and thus have lower random seek latency, in ms.

Every spinner hard drive pro shall know that random-seeking the whole shebang of a 7K'er or similar of today, would usually be at best, 12 ms, maybe down to 11 ms, if very lucky!

That's why spinner hard drive pros who RAID-0, are known to use tiny partitions. Especially for the OS and the most frequently used game, if all the game data can fit along with the OS.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-06-2019, 09:05 PM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Re: Is my Laptops Hard Drive on it's Way Out? (5 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024)

So i know it's been about a year since i last posted in this thread, mostly because i had convinced myself that it was not about to fail and that i was a for thinking it would (among other things).

However, a few things happened recently that had led me back to here. I'll spare the details as i imagine i'm likely overthinking things again (something i'm very good at) so if i'm wrong, i won't waste everyone's time.

I hope this is all people need to tell me that i'm wrong (which i probably am).
        Attached Files
        I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

who r using standard discs for system this time?

I throw to bin all of it. SSD are so cheap this time and it is so fast

Comment

296 failed calibration attempts? That's a sure sign that it's not long from failing. Backup, wipe it, and use it as target practice. Or run it into the ground.
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
              296 failed calibration attempts? That's a sure sign that it's not long from failing. Backup, wipe it, and use it as target practice. Or run it into the ground.
              I'm surprised i did not notice that (though i probably shouldn't be), as i was researching every parameter that seemed "off" to see if i was overthinking things again (maybe i was too focused on the Raw Read Error Rate, which i heard was also a sign of near failure).

Anyway, i ordered a new SSD yesterday 'just in case', but it looks like i might be needing it sooner than later.

Comment

Dang I'm still using a hard drive that has lots of sector reallocates, and still using it.

Give your old HDD to me, I'll happily use it!

Comment

Seagates usually display raw values for the "Raw Read Error Rate" attribute! Even brand new Seagate HDDs that aren't bad!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    "ST"-> Probably a Seagate with the Samsung name slapped on it! And Seagate 2.5-inch HDDs, apparently have major issues! With extreme slowness probably being common.

Just like Maxtor earlier, where their name was slapped on Seagate HDDs, probably at or roughly 5 years before Samsung had the same kind of fate!
                    WD suffers from this also. I have three failed 2.5" WD drives with the same issue. One is a 320GB Black, the other two are both Blue, one 500GB and one 640GB.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

So now i have my new SSD on hand, ready to install, but the SeaSung (or SamGate?) HDD is playing good drive again, however i'm going to replace it anyway as next time it pulls something stupid off, it might be fatal, and my PC has been acting slow lately after the initial freak out.

But instead of killing it, i may just turn it into a backup drive and let it live out the rest of its days as one until it dies, then replace it with something better.

I did a drive test with Seatools (Seagate's proprietary drive testing software) and it tells me the HDD is OK, but i still don't know if i fully trust it, thought i'd point that out.

Comment

SSD disks are now more useful than HDD

Comment

Running slow? Yep, it's on it's way out. It's likely accumulating bad sectors and massive amounts of read errors. It's already got a high number of write errors. Retire the drive from service permanently and do not trust it with important data.
                          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Out of Service 5 Year Old Samsung ST1000LM024

So i was logging some S.M.A.R.T attributes to see if i could spot any immediate degradation, however, some logs got corrupted when my PC randomly crashed for no real reason.

Not that those matter anymore because...

The hard drive has been taken out of service, and it will most likely not be going back into service anytime soon.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That is 115% a Seagate drive. It's not even a half-decent drive. It's an infamously bad Momentus series drive. Had one of those catastrophically fail before the 2 year mark.

Know why it's called Momentus? Because it only lasts a moment!

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

The fact that it has the Seagate name listed a couple of times seems like a dead giveaway to who made it.

I guess my drive really wanted to keep me on my toes for a nasty "surprise" given how long it lasted. But it took too long and now it won't be able to pull off anything stupid as it has been taken out of service.

But now i wonder if i should even use it as a backup drive, given how clumsy it was with my data (like files getting corrupted or lost randomly), my guess would likely be a big NO.

Comment

Don't use it with anything important for the rest of it's life. My personal policy with failing HDDs is that once they start accumulating read and write errors, it's queued for immediate replacement, the system or drive in question is immediately backed up and the failing drive is wiped and permanently retired from service. As someone who's lost data twice to drive failure, I've come to recognize the signs of a drive in trouble. So the moment a drive starts accumulating R/W errors, condemn it and replace it.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                                    Don't use it with anything important for the rest of it's life. My personal policy with failing HDDs is that once they start accumulating read and write errors, it's queued for immediate replacement, the system or drive in question is immediately backed up and the failing drive is wiped and permanently retired from service. As someone who's lost data twice to drive failure, I've come to recognize the signs of a drive in trouble. So the moment a drive starts accumulating R/W errors, condemn it and replace it.
                                    If you're waiting until the drive starts accumulating errors before backing it up, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I use until they die... of course backups are paramount and only error read rate determines replacement...

That is, only out of warranty drives. If under warranty, then they get replaced right away...

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                        If you're waiting until the drive starts accumulating errors before backing it up, you're doing it wrong.

I back 'em up regardless of failure status. Usually once a week with full encrypted disk images, which protects against total disk failure, catastrophic FS or LUKS container damage, or total loss of the contents of the disk. Most of the machines that I get in for service that leave with new HDDs were systems with drives that were accumulating bad sectors and massive amounts of I/O errors.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X