Ubuntu Linux 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ubuntu Linux 7

I have heard that the Automatix package for Ubuntu solves most of the niggling issues with Ubuntu like media codes, drivers, dvd playback etc.

The official website is:
    http://www.getautomatix.com/

The list of applications that it helps install are given on this page:
    http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.p...are_and_Tweaks

I have heard that it is very useful, that is why I am sharing this information here.

Comment

I have copies of the latest ubuntu kubuntu and xubuntu.. I'm trying them all as soon as I can...
      Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxarcade
        And for some reason, even on my fast main desktop with 1GB ram, Linux takes alot longer to do some things than WinXP does. Such as opening the web browser, or any program for that matter. I can count several seconds waiting for Firefox to open. In WinXP, it opens in milliseconds.
        If you think Linux is slow, try Vista. You can go and make a cup of tea, feed the cat, walk the dog and it'll still be loading when you get back.

But I'd like to know how you get Firefox to open in milliseconds on XP - for me it takes 3 or 4 seconds (from 'cold'), even on a dual-core 2.8GHz +2GB RAM

Comment

In WinXP, to launch the OS and apps quicker, it copies often accessed files to a Prefetch folder to cut down on HDD latency. So, it's eating up more HDD space to do this. Also, if there's enough RAM, it will retain a loaded app in RAM and not free up until RAM is exhausted.
          That's why Firefox, etc. appears to open immediately.
          Video driver quality and the type of Linux file system can also slow down Linux a bit.

Another interesting Linux distro is Sabayon Linux, looks like a Vista killer. Beryl 3D is already incorporated.
          Trying to download it as I type.
          “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
          We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Interesting enough, I'm running my currently flakey laptop off a Ubuntu 7.04 live cd, and Firefox opens pretty fast, and runs even faster.

I'm considering giving Ubuntu 7.04 a go on my Athlon 64 X2 5600+ with 2GB of ram and see how it flies. I'm too afraid of messing up my WinXP install though

Comment

I've been configuring my existing Windows systems into dual boot machines.
              I repartitioned the HDD space with a free copy of Paragon Hard Disk Manager v8. Worked like a charm, no damage to the Windows OS in each PC I tried it on.
              I have Ubuntu 7.04 and Win2k on one, and WinXP now shares a drive with PCLinuxOS 2007 on another.
              I'm going to install Sabayon on my main system the same method, I have high confidence it won't trash my XP Pro.
              The HDD utility may still be available. It was a legit offering, I think it was from a German PC magazine site.
              Do a search for it.
              “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
              We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Working...
              X