Linksys BEFSR41 Router Capacitor Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Linksys BEFSR41 Router Capacitor Solution

yep as stated more then likely buzzing is course the caps gone west and you got pulsating DC from the bridge
    (or read as very bad ripple if you like)

I was interested in what FizzyC was talking about I just remember something on it.

There is a photo of a version 2 HERE at this page Looking at it, it seems the above must be an older version?.

here's a link to another page which has a version again different
    (or wrong pics don't) here

this site has photos of the unit shown above (Yatti420 unit) Here
    2/3 down page, in French me thinks and don't think it states version but does have a link to version 2 at linksys...

regulator is AS2830AT (shown in above site photos )
    3A Low Dropout Voltage Regulator
    Adjustable & Fixed Output,
    Fast Response

PDF at bottom this page

Guessing D2 is a protection diode of some sort but no idea what the story with Q1 (772CK ?) and U3 (in a TO92 type package) are doing ?

provided I got the above info right...seems to be a few variations on that model

Cheers

Keep us posted on how it goes
    You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I looked over Starfury1's last post and have concluded that I have the same problem as most people.. I ordered some caps via ebay, without checking the "bad" capacitor thread.. I hope these will do as a replacement.. Can tolerance have a bad effect?? The only weird markings I diddnt understand on the D-Paston caps was the "LR" beside the temperature.. Do those letters have anything to do with tolerance or?? The Sanyo's have WG markings... (I think) Here...

My unit resembles the one that has been recapped in this (same capacitor) thread.

Here is all the details that I can see...

Linksys

(Plastic)
      Model No BEFSR41 ver. 2
      EtherFast 4-Port Cable/DSL Router with 4 Port Switch
      Made In Taiwan

If anybody wants the numbers off the ABS plastic let me know..

(Topside - Board)
      PCBA: F5-41V207-00 REV:_______ (nothing but a white bar nothing written)
      Made In Taiwan R.O.C
      White Sticker - 0006255F665B
      T2 in black marker..
      What appears to be "B18" or "BT8" (right below "T2" marker)
      Green Circle Sticker With Triangle Inside

(Bottomside - Board)
      PCB: 56-41V206-0D ("0203" in a gold box to the right of PCB #)
      HM6 94V-Ø

Thanks,
      Yatti420

Comment

dont know on the D Pastons cap guess it possibly is series

but yeah Sanyo WG is the "series" of the caps
        "Series" meaning what specs they are and what application they may be used for (generally speaking.)

If they are fair dinkum Sanyo WG you shouldn't have to worry about replacing them anytime soon.... heat in the box is probably going to be there only real contender

They seem to stand up very well in the VRM circuit of a Motherboard so should be able to do that little job without breaking a sweat
        (Although were are talking a different application to a VRM, Mains frequency ripple)

I thought it was mention it might be better that they are 25V?
        I'll have to re read the thread

They are LOW ESR type WG so should be more then suitable as far as spec's go
        but you may have to check Height

generally speaking with any job
        Height and Diameter is were you can run into problems, getting them to fit ....also pitch which means the lead spacing (if memory serves me)

A quick look Here

At the PDF (if I go the right one) says 16V are (D/L) 10mm X 16mm

If they are too tall you could possibly, if there is room mount them on there sides.
        Use needle nose pliers to bend leads, hold lead close to body with pliers and the bend lead down with finger the idea being not to stress lead in the body of the cap
        Not Ideal but I cant see a real problem with that with this supply.
        (if anyone can feel free to pipe up)

just make sure they are not sitting on other components or near anything hot
        (maybe just use a small bit of that spongy type double sided tape to sit them a bit higher off the pcb)

anyway keep us posted on how you go.

Cheers
        Last edited by starfury1; 04-05-2008, 03:34 AM.
        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Cool,

Thanks.. Still waiting on parts.. I may keep the Sanyo's for a motherboard that needs recapping... If so what capacitor series will fit in the linksys case?

Ill post back when parts get here..

Thanks

Comment

In this Linksys case I found maximum height I could use to be 20mm.
            Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Yep, Thanks... Ill post pics soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Yatti420
                Yep, Thanks... Ill post pics soon...
                Hey All...

So I recapped today...

The buzzing is gone, but...

The router still doesn't come out of diagnostics... Did the cruddy D-Pastons take out other components?

Thanks...

Edit: Could it be the voltage regulator now?? That went south due to D-Paston's going bad? Im not ruling out bad contact for the caps.. But I redid it.. Same thing.. No coming out of diagnostics.. I have them very high up now since i diddnt trim leads etc...
                Last edited by Yatti420; 04-16-2008, 03:59 PM.

Comment

hosed firmware?
                  could be a missing voltage.

Comment

Try to reset it.

Comment

had something similar on my D-Link DI-604 after i recapped it (GSC caps )

i just waited a while (about 3 minutes) and everthing started to work as usual...

seems that it made a self-test or initialization or something like that...?!
                      whatever it was.. it was in service mode for so long that i thought i killed the router

Comment

The caps don't seem to be getting hot at all.. The black circular thing just past the power jack seems to get very hot.. and after few mins its still has red light on. With the link light flashing..

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                          ...they got a dlink and no more problems.
                          Interesting... I have NOTHING but trouble with DLink hardware. Their PCMCIA cards are chronic in my experience.

Comment

Well my brother has replaced his D-Link Wlan router with my Linksys Wrt54g. The D-Link was simply a pain in the as and a real POS. Most D-Link and Netgear stuff belongs into this category IMHO.
                            They do`t want to invest into a stable & working firmware, only the cheapest hardware and finally zero support.

Comment

I was reading feedback on Newegg for the Linksys WAP54G wireless access point. I'm amazed at the very high rate of failure and dissatisfaction.

I have a home client who wants to go wireless. She has the option of wireless-N, because she has no investment in B or G hardware. Reviews on wireless-N seem to be hard to find... I did see a favorable review for the SMC router.

Are the Linksys failures due to bad caps? If so, I can certainly recap a new WAP54G to make sure it continues to function.

Comment

Late reply I know
                                but that could be a shot Bridge rectifier.

I suppose that my depend on you idea of hot and how hot they normally get But I shouldn't image its real hot

Black round thing with 2 ~ and a + on it

like in this photo Here

You need to check/replace it or firstly if you got a meter check the voltages.

Id check voltages on cap reg etc first

It also so possible its "Bricked" if someone was trying to flash it while it was somewhat working.

there use to be a page over a linsys org on possibly how to unbrick never tried it so dont know... or even if applicable in your case.

Cheers

Comment

yeah I dont think they have a great rep...mine has been fine so far

They do have crap caps and heat I think is another issue for them...just cause they are owned by a "real" Router Company doesn't mean linky's are...so I guess price is a factor really you get what you pay for but then again you can pay a high price for crap too.

all my router stuff is linksys for me at home, I have no real complaints but then I have to say they dont get a real work out either
                                  worse I found is the wireless range...but Ive heard comments about that as just being wireless period
                                  I use a billion ADSL modem thought

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers

Comment

Well, SOHO equipment is SOHO equipment and that means low quality, low endurance and crappy firmware.
                                    Regardless which fancy name is written on the label. Linksys does not make an extraordinary exception.
                                    But if you can load a more sophisticated firmware on it, which is programmed with no budget & time constraints and gives you full control over your hardware, this is an start. And there are many routers, not only wrt54g which are now supported by many open source, embedded Linux firmwares.
                                    And to be honest, even the BEFSR41 has worked for me for a long time.

Comment

I'm OK with recapping, and even OK with running alternate firmware. I'm also OK understanding that a WRT54G is not a Cisco 7000. My users don't require anything more than the SOHO performance.

What I'm having a problem with is, the box runs fine for a long time, then craps out. I have not yet opened up any router to see if bad caps is the problem. If so, I will recap and be happy.

Comment

My wired router finally just gave up, I picked up a shiny new WRT45GS...
                                        Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
                                          I picked up a shiny new WRT45GS...
                                          Oh no, If it's shiny that could be a real problem.
                                          (aren't you glad I'm back)
                                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                                          X