• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Great Capacitor Showdown - Rubycon vs Panasonic vs Samxon

on psus with disastrously bad caps...

Comment

Originally posted by Cubes
      Would it have been possibly quicker to obtain results by recapping a few PSU's with the above caps?
      Perhaps but this test is aimed presumably at motherboard capacitor installations...

Glad to see the SamXon's still going strong, the ones I used to rebuild my Antec TP380 back in 07-25-2006 are still going strong with 24/7 use
      Viva LA Retro!

Comment

My guess is that Rubycon will take it in the long run , while Panasonic will edge out Samxon. I think that if you could place some ENYA's in the testing after Nichicon's you would have a good basis for reference , while Sanyo could come in to compare or exceed at long last as a good example.

I have come across some Stone caps I think might compete well if you get the chance.

Great test , but on older boards failure is not an option , with what appears to only be a 2 x AGP video card application. I'd like to see at least the newer 8 x AGP cards push the processor to it's heights and the reading thereof.

Update : I pulled the Sanyo's off of my old 266mhz EPOX ( EP-61LXA-M ) , it has the same video card slot as your test boards but will be fitted with Rubycon's to see that it gets the best before deciding where to stop pushing it. This EPOX is a much smaller board and would probably make an ideal testbed for heat and failure testing. Problem is it is "rock solid" and the caps required extreme heat to be removed like I almost needed to cut the board or use a torch to get them off. Everything on this board is all the same , throw it at the wall , and I'll bet it would still work fine due to it's apparent thickness or stiffness.

Comment

We lost teh sanyo box to a lightning strike. The others are still going, nobody has degraded so far.
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

I don't think the existing caps would degrade, since they are older computers that don't push the caps to their limits (like a P4 or newer motherboard).

How about stop the test and announce the simple outcome, it'll be 20 some years or more before one cap in one of those systems decides to pop.
            My gaming PC:
            AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
            ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
            PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
            G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
            TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
            WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
            ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
            Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
            Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
            Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
            Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
              We lost a system today. The Sanyo system is out of the mix.

We lost teh sanyo box to a lightning strike. The others are still going, nobody has degraded so far.

how many times you lost that sanyo?

Comment

Two
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

killed twice.
                  overkill!

Comment

I was just playing CountCAPula.
                    If your kids never watched Sesame Street you won't understand.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Pcbonez, yea and hehehe. The old Sesame Street is excellent, the new version meh.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by whiz
                        how many times you lost that sanyo?
                        obviously it was mentioned twice. brilliant deduction!
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                        http://folding.stanford.edu/
                        Team : 49813
                        Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

>killed twice.
                          overkill!

LOL!

Comment

bump

is the test still going or have we decided they all rock?
                            sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'm actually leaning more toward Sanyo WG's over Nichicon's. I don't have a source for them though....
                              www.bdent.com

Comment

Sanyos probably died on their own. Most likely why Sanyo bowed out of the aluminum electrolytic business. Good luck selling garbage Sun caps Jim W.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTechNY23
                                  Sanyos probably died on their own. Most likely why Sanyo bowed out of the aluminum electrolytic business. Good luck selling garbage Sun caps Jim W.
                                  ???

Any proof?

Comment

i have seen only a very few failed sanyo's.and i figured they died due to heat as the system had 3 bad fans.
                                    tc's sanyo test boxes died of lightning strike/surge.
                                    cant blame the caps.

Comment

Was the box with the Sanyos on a separate circuit that the other machines? Most of the Sanyos I have seen have been dead. I haven't seen too many machines with those that still worked so I have avoided them and assumed that's why Sanyo was focusing on POSCAP and OS-CONs and dumping the lytics on Sun.

Comment

Sanyo have always been as good as Rubycon, possibly better.

Too bad you didn't read the PDF you posted.

Sanyo sold the lytics branch to Sun ,,, who is the Sanyo subsidiary that has been the ACTUAL MANUFACTURER of Sanyo lytics for ages.

They will be manufactured by the same people in the same facility they always were. - The only thing that's changed is the name on the sleeve.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

What's the status of the systems now?
                                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X