HD4850 with Sacon FZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HD4850 with Sacon FZ

Went over to a friend to build a gaming rig for him. All went fine, though I identified Sacon FZ caps on the video card. It's a Club3D HD4850. I was disgusted by the fact that a €180 card has cheap crapcaps on it. How long can I expect these caps to last? They are those blue Sacon FZ's and are located in the card's VRM area.

Re: HD4850 with Sacon FZ

1 week to 1 year... Just a guess.
    Sacon = GSC
    same-same
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

recap it now.
      or you will soon have problems.
      sacon=garbage.
      they die in as soon as 2 months on hot video cards.

Comment

6 months hard gaming probably before failure symptons start showing up.

Surprising that such a high end hot runner would have these. They probably are doing it on purpose so the card doesn't lose them revenue by lingering around in the 2nd hand market. I wouldn't be surprised if imaginery forums spring up encouraging overclocking it with professional fake wholly believable reports, just to make sure they get their extra revenues. Most supposedly unbiased articles on the net seem to encourage nothing but these covert "black profits", since when have any PC's been reliable at stock speeds, the worldwide concensus has always been never, and will remain so, in spite of how ever many unbiased sources of "free lies" exist / flood the net.
        Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

I've heard of FZ failing so hard and fast you can hear the top of the cans blow open and some of the 'guts' try to blow out through the hole.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...achmentid=6961
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...achmentid=5973

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

I can see why it has cheap caps. I've never even heard of Club3D. I would only get something like a sapphire, diamond, Visiontek, or a Asus if you go ATI.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club3D

Headquarters: Hoofddorp, The Netherlands

no wonder you didn't hear about Club3D

Comment

seems club 3d should have already known about these junk parts.
                  probably just imports the cheap cards and stick their name on them.

Comment

well... i had 2 Club3D cards in the past...

GF 6600GT AGP and a Radeon 9600 IIRC..
                    both with the reference PCB layout.

the 6600GT had NCC and some solid SMD polys on it (real polys.. but i can't remember what they put on there (sold the card years ago and i didn't know the web.fc2 whatever chinese(?) site with the SMD cap logos and stuff..))
                    dunno what the radeon had, but its fan crapped out after less than 1 year (dried up ball bearing.. rattling like hell)

hit & miss ...
                    and the HD4850 is another miss..
                    Last edited by Scenic; 11-23-2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty much hit & miss with their caps. Another friend with a lowly 8400GS (Club3D too) had all UCC caps on it.

Maybe they are mainly using the Sacon caps on their current HD4xx0 cards?
                      A product pic: Club3D HD4670
                      Not very tempting eh?

Comment

Well, what's on the Built By ATI cards then?
                        Just making sure it really is Club3D's fault and not someone elses
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I have a couple ATI *brand* cards (2-3 years old) and no FZ on them.

I got in some Jaton brand nVidia cards last week and was expecting the worst.
                          Was surprised to see them with all Samxon caps.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Seems that Club3D uses these on their nVidia cards too.

Went over to another friend and we decided to apply proper thermal paste on his Club3D 8600GT, since the load temps were around 85 to 90 degrees Celsius. Replaced that crappy, pink, gum-like thermal... stuff with silver paste. Load temps went down 10C.

Anyway, there are 4 Sacon FZ caps. All are 1500uF and 6.3V, I guess they should be replaced now before they cause problems? There was also a rather small Licon cap, can't remember the values though. Are Licon also badcaps?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Which is better, Panasonic FM or Rubycon ZL for replacing the Sacons? I have access to both.
                            Last edited by Leopard; 11-30-2008, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Sacon's specs are probably bunk but here they are:
                              FZ 1500/6.3v Ripple=1800 ESR=0.022 , 10 x 12.5 mm

FM 1500/6.3v Ripple=2080 ESR=0.019 , 10 x 20 mm
                              ZL 1500/6.3v Ripple=1820 ESR=0.023 , 10 x 23 mm

FM are better but either would be enough and do fine.
                              Except -- length (and clearance) might be an issue on a video card.

Here is another option:
                              http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=565-3229-ND
                              Chemicon NPCAP PSC Series Solid Polymar
                              PSC 1500/6.3v Ripple=5560 ESR=0.010 , 10 x 11.5 mm
                              A little expensive but this is a video card.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

I dug up a little more info on this:
                                Originally posted by reliable source
                                Club 3D is a brand of video cards for PCs, featuring ATi's and NVIDIA's graphic chipsets and technologies. They are rebranded video cards manufactured by Sapphire Technologies and Tul Corporation.
                                So Sapphire and Tul (PowerColor) are to blame here for using crapcaps.

Comment

I have now seen FZ on eVGA brand cards.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

seems that many mid-range (and of course low-end) cards have those f*ckin sacons

XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
                                    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i..._edition/1.jpg

Albatron 8400GS
                                    http://www.imgx.org/pfiles/613/5173_large_albatron.jpg

Captiva 8500GT
                                    http://www.easy-tecs.com/abilder/cap-8500gt1g.gif

XFX again..
                                    http://www.overclock.net/attachments...6030010nf1.jpg

FSC OEM 8600GT
                                    http://img.alibaba.com/photo/2001642...T_VGA_Card.jpg

Comment

I have a 7600GS that still work but the one cap FZ 1500 blew it is the one that is alone (other 4 are a pair and diff vrm I think). The fan was clogged and I think that one fz 1500 part of the power for fan or speed control not sure. The top is leaking. I have some of the teapo (I know shutter heh) that work these are not blown. They are 1500 would that work for just the fan?

I attached specs for teapo sc.pdf and seacon FZ. Will thise work for now I will order panisonic FM (this is what you recomend as best?)

Thanks for the help.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Video cards seem to be pretty hit-n-miss with their caps.

My XFX 8600gt has UCC solids and one lonely elcon.

My friend's EVGA 8600gt has all sanyo and ucc solids.

My PNY 9800gt has all UCC solids

Friend's GTX260's have sanyo solids.

Lower end powercolors (agp series usually) like to use TK.

Comment

Working...
                                        X