Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Varying load electrical noises from PSU, what part makes the noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varying load electrical noises from PSU, what part makes the noise?

"Bzzzzzz BZZZZZZZZZZZZ BZZZ BZZZZ"

Does anybody know what makes the noises of some slightly faulty modern PSU's...

Here is exactly the kind of thing I've been experiencing, I copied the out of PC test to be sure and the sounds are the same...

Reference:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uZkwNXoeOeY

I have prodded the coils whilst running high FPS 3D mode, but the sound doesn't change ( I used the rubber tip of some Dewalt safety glasses for prodding) it sounds like the sounds are comming from the area around where the modular cables connect but I could be wrong.

My noisy PSU is Corsair 620W

I haven't been able to find any references to a solution to this on the net so far. Please only post if you can contribute helpfully, if you just want to post some useless undermining insulting crap insinuating user error to make yourself feel clever or similiar or technical theory, you know this won't be useful, it's an unhealthy compulsion, please refrain.

Thanks in advance for any worthwhile posts though ...
    Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Re: Varying load electrical noises from PSU, what part makes the noise?

>I haven't been able to find any references to a solution to this on the net so far. Please only post if you can contribute helpfully, if you just want to post some useless undermining insulting crap insinuating user error to make yourself feel clever or similiar or technical theory, you know this won't be useful, it's an unhealthy compulsion, please refrain.

>Thanks in advance for any worthwhile posts though ...

uff..after this do you deserve any answers?

anyway, here's the clever-ass answer you're dying for:
    motion creates the air move and that makes the sound (woohoo!!!!)

now what can move inside your psu?
    coils, trafo parts and simillar.
    (anywhere you have magnetism and parts that can flap around)

open it up and inspect what's moving: if it's not the coils it's probably trafo.
    if you cannot establish precisely where it's coming from(with your safety glasses), record the sound while moving the mic above the psu. mark the time(s) when you were above particular component etc.
    inspect the amplitude of the recording in some audio editing program.

Comment

i am still thinking of suitable insulting crap to post
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

It sounds like the fan speeding up and down slightly as the load on the PSU causes the 12V rail to drop slightly.

Can you monitor the voltages while doing your 3D test?

Comment

if fizzy didn't inspect the fan, he should be insulted immediately!

youtube guy claims it's not the fan.

i somehow doubt fan would be so fast to change speeds... temperatures just don't go up/down that quicky.

Comment

Yeah, I had hoped not, but it does sound a bit like transformer noise. I'll endeavour to solve the issue. I guess I will just have to spend another £150 on a new one for the third time I guess. Thanks for your help. I did say thankyou for useful contributions. I'm not someone who lowers themselves to saying thankyou easily, especially not in real life - normally I can just beat the info out of people lol.
            Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

>I will just have to spend another £150 on a new one for the third time I guess.

3rd one?

and if 450w is about 40pounds(at least here it was) how can 620 be 150?

i wasn't kidding when it comes to recording sound.
              what if it's not trafo?

it would be interesting to know, given that
              "nobody on the internet knows...omg!"
              hehe...

oh yeah, something just occured to me; perhaps you can use long nose pliers to grab the trafo and see if sound changes at all...
              or make some sort of cardboard box to cover it: sounds different now?
              heh..use your imagination...
              <wink>

and..anything you do, do it with heavilly isolated tools....may also wanna wear dewalt safety glasses too...heh

Comment

Staring at the red and black PSU, agent provacateur, I can imagine a little devil with some tools work his way out and sit on my desk laughing how much he's completely ruined my sanity.
                Attached Files
                Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

you're system is not serious!

lol!

so what's the beefy?
                  your psu can power everything in the case...except the cpu?
                  that'll teach you...buying cheap psus...just look at yourself....

hihi...

Comment

my 2007 integrated gpu is excellent in running test from 2001!!!
                    hehe...

oh yeah, system load brings voltage down here...
                    hdd, these gpu tests...google picasa...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by i4004; 12-16-2008, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X