Fluke 87 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluke 87 issue

Somehow my fluke went out. I checked the normal things, fuses, etc and upon opening it all the way, found what looked like old water damage. Anyway, Ive narrowed it down to two bad surface mount resistors. A blue 1073 and a similar 2103. I'd like to order these but I have no idea, where or what kind they actually are. They are .3 mm long. Any ideas?

Re: Fluke 87 issue

what version of the 87?
    tell me it's a "V" !

Comment

It just says 87, but it doesn't have the fuseable resistor like the one I've seen in the first Gen, so I'm not sure.
      Tell me you have the resistors! Lol

Comment

http://www.resistorguide.com/resistor-smd-code/
        https://www.westfloridacomponents.co...tor-sizes.html
        Last edited by petehall347; 12-09-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallone42 View Post
          It just says 87,
          A picture would help us help you.

Service manuals with bill of materials are available for the Fluke 87 I (original), Fluke 87 III and now FINALLY Fluke 87V.

Fluke 87V service manual at

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/87v-schematics!/
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, hopefully this works. You can see the two blue ones that are bad. I looked at that website already and unless I'm measuring them wrong, they don't show any this small
            Attached Files

Comment

Sorry, this shows the two I'm looking for
              Attached Files

Comment

Those are good pics.

1) You have a Fluke 87 II (with the CAT III ratings by the Volt/ohm jack). It is the 87 I, but with update CAT requirements.

2) In your picture with the 2103 and 1073 SMD resistors, you clearly have some corrosion in that area from the water. A thorough cleaning of pcb with IPA is recommended.

The pcb tracks around that entire area could be broken with no continuity and the SMD resistors may not be touching their solder pads.

3) I suggest looking at modemhead's blog pictures and fixes for #2 above.

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-23-iii-dmm-repair/

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-77...per-corrosion/

4) The track to 2103 is clearly missing. You can see the solder clearly missing.
                Last edited by retiredcaps; 12-09-2018, 08:18 PM.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You know I didn't even see that? Looking at the board with the bare eye, it looks intact, I had to look at the picture to see what you were referring to and then got the board under a magnifying glass and sure enough. I'm going to follow the directions from your link later today and see if that works. I'll post my results. Thank you again. Love this website.

Comment

Well, upon further investigation, and checking it with my meter, that line is still intact. It's the coating that's came off. Those two caps read 89k and 130k respectively. I know I should remove them to read them but checking all the other ones, and the fact they are reading within limits, I'm still thinking those two are shot. That whole corner of the board is where the corrosion damage was.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Before we assume the SMD resistors are bad, especially since other components in series/parallel can affect your readings, let's take a step back.

What is actually wrong with Fluke? You never stated what exactly is wrong?

First, does it power up at all?

Since you essentially have a Fluke 87 original series meter, did you following and check the test points (TP) as outlined in the Fluke service manual (Table 3-14). In particular, what is VDD, VSS, etc?

As an example, see

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-83-dmm-repair/

Fluke service manual at

https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...703bf9edff.pdf
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

This area still looks suspect to me in the photo.
                        Attached Files
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

if that's what you call damage, you obviously never saw a ni-cad battery leak!!!!

Comment

It would be nice to know what "my Fluke went out" means. Like RC asked, does it power up, does it measure anything on any range at all? These are much better clues to the possible faults than trying to trouble-shoot by measuring various components in-circuit. More often than not, that leads to red herrings. It is unlikely that those two SMD resistors are bad.

If there is any hint of corrosion at all, the best plan of action is to start with a full-immersion bath in strong isopropyl alcohol and scrub the board with a brush. (*Carefully* remove the LCD assembly first, of course.) Examine all suspect areas with magnification. Continuity-test suspect traces. Vias should also be checked for continuity from top to bottom. In a battery leakage or water ingress situation, it is not uncommon for the plated-through copper inside the vias to be eroded away. A good set of sharp probes is essential for this process.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                              Before we assume the SMD resistors are bad, especially since other components in series/parallel can affect your readings, let's take a step back.
                              The resistors are 210K and 107K, so measuring in-circuit would be dubious. High value resistors can drop in value if they get contaminated internally. In-circuit readings are almost certain to be "low", but that could be due to other circuitry.

As you suggest, a better approach would be to work from the improper behavior to the circuit(s) that could cause it.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X