Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280 OUT OF WARRANTY SUPPORT PROGRAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280 OUT OF WARRANTY SUPPORT PROGRAM

I just joined today so I don't know if this has been posted here yet.

http://warrantypartsdirect.dell.com/...m/T1910000.ASP

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280
    Out of Warranty Support Program

Dell™ will provide OUT OF WARRANTY coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008, whichever comes first.

Customers with qualifying out of warranty systems may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 for service. Affected parts dispatched through Dell Technical Support will not be eligible for labor reimbursement. Note, WPD customers with affected systems still UNDER WARRANTY may continue to contact WPD as usual for warranty coverage.

For Systems Under Warranty

Contact Warranty Parts Direct as usual for part replacement coverage per the existing Warranty Service contract.

For Systems Out of Warranty

If an OUT OF WARRANTY desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors and is still within the time period described below, customers may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 to have the motherboard replaced at no charge per Dell's Next Business Day service coverage program.

The motherboard replacement program is valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008, whichever occurs first. Systems that fall outside the motherboard replacement offer terms may be repaired under Dell's Out of Warranty service program.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

Re: Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280 OUT OF WARRANTY SUPPORT PROGRAM

wow

did someone smell a class action?
    guess they can afford it since sony is gonna pay for the batteries

pity many have been recapped already
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Do they expect the replacement boards will last for five additional years?
      No way, in five years I doubt there will be "motherboards" anymore.
      2012AD we should have integration substrates where the board itself is the capacitance, and Rosey the Robot will be doing the dishes.LOL
      Jim

Comment

Might tell TAFE about this program (They sold a lot of them when they were upgrading).
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I have called in 4 of these GX270s so far, that have fallen out of warranty.

This is a simple motherboard replacement anyone can do it.

You just call in 1-800-822-8965 have the serial number off of the back ready for when they ask you. You give them the serial number they will look it up and say oh, you are out of warranty. Tell them you have a "Thermal Event" come up on the screen when trying to reboot or whatever your particular problem is and tell them that you have multiple leaking capacitors on the motherboard. They will offer to fix it for you. Tell them you will do it yourself. It takes 5 minutes for a fast person, 30 minutes for an elementary school kid. Remember one thing when removing that old CPU be careful, the CPU will come out with the heatsink. REMEMEBER WHEN YOU REINSTALL THE CPU TO THE NEW MOTHERBOARD GENTLEY REMOVE THE CPU FROM THE HEATSINK BY GENTLY POPPING UNDER THE CORNERS AND SEPARATING THE HEATSINK FROM THE CPU. LIFT UP THE LEVER, LINE UP THE CORNER OF THE CPU WITH THE MOTHERBOARD (SEE THE CORNER THAT HAS AN ARROW OR LINE POINTING TO THE CORNER THAT HAS THE NO PIN AREA, LINE UP IT UP PROPERLY.) SET THE CPU IN PLACE THEN SNAP THE LEVER DOWN IN PLACE. THEN USE THE GREASE SYRINGE TO PUT JUST A DAB ON THE TOP CENTER OF THE CPU AND SNAP THE HEATSINK BACK INTO PLACE. IF YOU TRY TO PUT THE HEATSINK BACK INTO PLACE WITH THE CPU STILL ATTACHED YOU WILL BEND THE PINS ON THE CPU. REMEMBER YOU MUST SEPARATE THE CPU FROM THE HEATSINK PRIOR TO REINSTALLING INTO THE NEW MOTHERBOARD.
          PRINT
          NEXT
          System BoardThe following section outlines the steps for removing and replacing the system board.

NOTE: The small form factor supports different types of systems and, therefore, supports many different system boards. The removal and replacement procedures for the different types of boards are exactly the same.

Removing and Replacing the System Board

1. Before removing the system board:

Disconnect the AC power cable from the back of the system.
          Open the cover.
          Disconnect all cables from the system board.
          Remove any expansion card.

2. Lift the green tab located at the front of the system board.

3. Slide the system board toward the front of the chassis, and then lift it out of the chassis.

4. Reverse the previous steps to remove the system board.

Comment

UPDATED PHONE# Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280 OUT OF WARRANTY SUPPORT PROGRAM

Dell Warranty Parts Direct News
            Out of Warranty Support Coverage
            Dell™ Technical Support (800-822-8965/extension 724-3891) will provide OUT OF WARRANTY coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™ SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor only), GX270 and GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors. Timeframe coverage is limited to 5 years from date of purchase, or until January 31, 2008, whichever comes first.

Please click HERE for more details. We request that customers with qualifying OUT OF WARRANTY systems contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800- 822-8965, extension 724-3891. Out of warranty affected parts will not be dispatched through the WPD program and therefore will not be eligible for labor reimbursement.

Please note, for systems UNDER WARRANTY, please continue to contact WPD for warranty coverage as usual.

close

Comment

Hi All,

Does anyone know if Dell are also supporting out of warranty replacement of motherboards for GX270's in Europe (namely UK).
              I am unable to find anything on their European website to say they do.

I have five GX270's where the warranty ran our earlier this year and all of them have swollen / leaking caps. At present only one will not boot (shuts down due to thermal event) but I guess it is only time before the others go the same way.

I thought it would be good to have some facts before contacting Dell.

Thanks, Steve.

Comment

I would just call the standard warranty number, when they get to the time they say "The warranty ran out on ..." just tell them they are thermal events with leaking capacitors. They will tell you to try this or that but be firm.

Mike

Comment

I cant give out any names, but a corporate client of mine tried this a while back. RMA'd 70 boards. they only returned 40 or so, seveeral of which were still unstable/unusable (he said 9 were duds). he's been waiting over 3 months for the return of his remaining 30. He finally said the hell with it, and started sending the rest of his bad ones to me. 100+ recapped, and every single one has worked for him.

The following information I can not verify, but it's what I was told from a credible source:
                  When you RMA a dell board, they actually return a 'refurb' to you. The board you sent is shipped to china to be repaired, and once repaired, it's kicked back into the 'refurb' pool and given to some other poor unsuspecting slob. Larger batches like my corp client, they don't have enough on hand to swap them out, so they have to repair what he sends........and he still waits....

Dell's RMA department sucks like all the rest do. Intel has the best RMA support, but that's for another topic...
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                  Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                  http://folding.stanford.edu/
                  Team : 49813
                  Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat
                    I cant give out any names, but a corporate client of mine tried this a while back. RMA'd 70 boards. they only returned 40 or so, seveeral of which were still unstable/unusable (he said 9 were duds). he's been waiting over 3 months for the return of his remaining 30. He finally said the hell with it, and started sending the rest of his bad ones to me. 100+ recapped, and every single one has worked for him.

The following information I can not verify, but it's what I was told from a credible source:
                    When you RMA a dell board, they actually return a 'refurb' to you. The board you sent is shipped to china to be repaired, and once repaired, it's kicked back into the 'refurb' pool and given to some other poor unsuspecting slob. Larger batches like my corp client, they don't have enough on hand to swap them out, so they have to repair what he sends........and he still waits....

Dell's RMA department sucks like all the rest do. Intel has the best RMA support, but that's for another topic...
                    same here.
                    have several big customers that were tired of playing dells game while these boxes sit unusable.
                    one has sent me over 200.
                    they will NEVER buy another dell.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I contacted Dell and to my surprise they did not quibble at all about the machine being out of warranty. An engineer came the next day and replaced the motherboard.
                      He also looked at the other GX270's we have and suggested we go back to Dell and get those replaced as well.

Comment

Dell is now being sued by NY State for fraudulent customer service issues.

Part of the complaint centers around Dell support having customers open up their own machine and do Technical Stuff inside. The complain also cites weeks of delay before Dell takes action on warranty issues.

Welcome to Bangalore.

Comment

Part of the complaint centers around Dell support having customers open up their own machine and do Technical Stuff inside
                          and most of us would rather do that and be sent the parts..........
                          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

When you RMA a dell board, they actually return a 'refurb' to you.
                            Well I can now verify this first hand. Recapping about 20 GX270's ATM. A single VRM blew out on two recaps after a short time (scorch marks on PCB were a dead giveaway) but more about that later.

So my source gave me 3 replacement Dell motherboards which he ordered new and paid over A$200 each for. One of them was a dud right out of the box.

Inspection revealed the following:

1. MBZ "Blue" Rubicon caps in place where Nichicons typically reside ( have never seen this series on these boards before).

2. Leads cut shorter on these caps than original work.

3. PCB board has scratches across tracks and does not look shiny new.

But the clincher was powder tarnished solder work on some areas of the board - a dead giveaway that this is NOT a new board.

My friend is about to give Dell support a phonecall and he can be like a Wobbygong shark when he engages in a cause. You know - locks on and won't let go for life or death!

Would not want to receive that phonecall!

Kudos for Dell for acknowledging the problem and supporting their customers but why then follow up with the same faulty recycled merchandise resold as new.

Why just piss your customers off when you can make them positively irate by reliving the experience!

Comment

If they were legit boards from Dell , it seems they would have no problem calling Dell back immediately and telling them that I got a DOA part.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                                Dell is now being sued by NY State for fraudulent customer service issues.

Part of the complaint centers around Dell support having customers open up their own machine and do Technical Stuff inside. The complain also cites weeks of delay before Dell takes action on warranty issues.

Welcome to Bangalore.

Three artciles SO FAR!!!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6184057.html
                                CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                                GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Originally posted by trw1901
                                  If they were legit boards from Dell , it seems they would have no problem calling Dell back immediately and telling them that I got a DOA part.
                                  umm, how do you have an illegitimate dell board? My client hasnt even gotten his original order back, and its been months, like he's going to send more to those idiots.
                                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                  Team Stats

Comment

Your client has real problems, because the MOST is three days it should take. Usually, the next working day after the case and dispatch numbers are issued the board is received. Your 'client' says months? Something is not right. I am no apologist for Dell, by any means. You don't ship anything to Dell until you receive the replacement board FIRST. The bad board gets sent back in the box the replacement came in. Your story is either untrue or your client went through a middleman of some sort not directly to Dell and they are cause for the delay or these were not ordered by your client new and there is a problem with original ownership as Dell only warranties these boards to the orginal purchaser. I could be wrong on this, but if I remember correctly this is how it is.. I have called in between 40 - 50 GX270s after the warranty has expired on these directly to Dell, I have ordered 50 - 60 of these online using my Dell Technician account before the warranties expired. I have had no boards denied replacement from Dell. Two wrong model boards were sent on two different occasions, those wrong model boards were replaced with the correct boards the next day after these issues were called in.

Comment

I am no apologist for Dell, by any means.
                                      this entire thread speaks to the contrary.

Your story is either untrue or your client went through a middleman of some sort not directly to Dell and they are cause for the delay
                                      I seriously doubt this particular company went through a middleman, nor would a corporation of this size have any reason to lie to me about it. I find it funny that they're sending them to me, paying me to rebuild then, rather than fumbling around with the free replacements from Dell. Corp clients are cheapskates, they're going to save money wherever they can. I am certainly not their cheap option, yet they continue to send them. I personally love Dell, I've made a nice chunk of money off their shoddy products!!!
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

I have two guesses as to why they are going through you, they don't want to spend the 30- 40 mins on the phone for each of these system's service calls to be called in and given case and dispatch numbers etc. or they have their paperwork screwed up somewhere. I work for a LARGE corporation also, and I only support 600 or so computers, the division's main parts depot has these replacement boards stacked to the ceiling constantly coming in and going out. I can't see your one client putting a damper on this one replacement issue.
                                        I personally have replaced way over 100 of these now, company wide my company purchased many thousands of these GX270s. (The majority replaced?)

Somebody dropped the ball somewhere on having these fixed for free or it was considered not worth the time, personally I posted this here on your website to make Dell replace as much of these as possible to as many people as possible ! I didn't want to start a conflict with anyone, just make Dell foot the bill for their choice to be cheap and put cr@ppy parts in their products.

By the way Dell no longer supplies new PCs to the corp. I work for they have since switched to HP, we shall see how these go...

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                        X