Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP EliteBook 820 G3 - Reading BIOS

Hi all,
    this is my first attempt atreading the BIOS with the CH341A USB Programmer + SOP8 Test Clip.

Here is the CMOS Chip I'm pretty sure it is a WINBOND chip. The writing on the chip is unreadable.

I'm currently having issue that the CH341A Programmer. The run light is not turnning on. only the power light. I've verify that all pin 1 are all well linked and in-line connected..

To my understanding, this mean that the SOP8 Clip is not well clip. I'm pretty sure it is based on the below picture.

I'm using the NeoProgrammer 2.2.0.7 located here: NeoProgrammer 2.2.0.7

I'm also using the driver from here: CH341PAR.EXE

Again, I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated as I need to extract he BIOS Bin file to clear the password.

Cheers

Re: HP EliteBook 820 G3 - Reading BIOS

Your BIOS chip seems to be WSON package (https://www.infineon.com/export/site...1129538973.gif) and therefore has no exposed leads on the side where the clip can make electrical contact with.

From your picture, you have 2 options.
    First: Since you seem to have exposed copper which likely connects to the BIOS chip, you can solder wires to it and match it on your programmer (pin 1 to pin 1, etc)

Second: You most probably received a small adapter (https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H7b90d5fc...P8.jpg_q50.jpg) board together with your programmer. Remove the BIOS chip from the motherboard, solder it on the adapter board and go from there.

Hope this helps.

Comment

You are trying to use SOIC8 clip with WSON8 chip - not going to happen, unsolder the chip and use WSON8 adapter, or solder wires to the motherboard.
      Attached Files
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
      Become a Badcaps supporter
      >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
      Thanks to all supporters.​
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Originally posted by Vesko356 View Post
        You are trying to use SOIC8 clip with WSON8 chip - not going to happen, unsolder the chip and use WSON8 adapter, or solder wires to the motherboard.
        Tanks for the reply. It is not socket and I do not want to unsolder it from the board... Again, I'm not sure if it is a WSON8...

It look like the chip does not have any side leg for the SOIC8 clip to clip onto... Is that possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Korreia View Post
          Tanks for the reply. It is not socket and I do not want to unsolder it from the board... Again, I'm not sure if it is a WSON8...

It look like the chip does not have any side leg for the SOIC8 clip to clip onto... Is that possible?
          It is a WSON8 chip (without legs) . The gold pads surrounding it are for a sop8 chip (with legs). The pads are offset and not in a straight line.You can solder wires to the gold pads if you can`t desolder it, as mentioned already,or you could buy a WSON8 pogo pin test probe

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001830846980.html .There`s 2 different sizes for each of the WSON8 chip sizes, 6X5 and 8X6
          All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
            It is a WSON8 chip (without legs) . The gold pads surrounding it are for a sop8 chip (with legs). The pads are offset and not in a straight line.You can solder wires to the gold pads if you can`t desolder it, as mentioned already,or you could buy a WSON8 pogo pin test probe

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001830846980.html .There`s 2 different sizes for each of the WSON8 chip sizes, 6X5 and 8X6
            Awesome! I'll try that and psot back

Cheers

Comment

Hi all, So I got a WSON8 adaptor. No I'm attempting to remove the WSON8 from the mother board with my soldering heat gun... I've been at it for a while (putting heat for more then 8 minutes) and it is not coming out.

I've did some google youtube search to see how to properly remove a WSON8 and could not find anything...

Is it normal that it take a long time to heat up and remove it?

Comment

Hi all, So I got a WSON8 adaptor. No I'm attempting to remove the WSON8 from the mother board with my soldering heat gun... I've been at it for a while (putting heat for more then 8 minutes) and it is not coming out.

I've did some google youtube search to see how to properly remove a WSON8 and could not find anything...

Is it normal that it take a long time to heat up and remove it?
                8 minutes is a long time to heat the pcb.What model is your soldering heat gun and what temperature did you have it set to and did you use a nozzle
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I know, right...

This is the heat gun I have YIHUA 8786D

I've set it up to 580F ans yes I used a nozzle

noting was moving...

Comment

I know, right...

This is the heat gun I have YIHUA 8786D

I've set it up to 580F ans yes I used a nozzle

noting was moving...
                    580 F is about 300C and is little low for unleaded solder, use max temperature and 3/4 air speed, the chip must be desoldeed in about 15-20 sec., if not check the hot air station. If you don't have enough experience, try to practice on faulty boards first.
                    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                    Become a Badcaps supporter
                    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                    Thanks to all supporters.​
                    Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Thanks for your help and support.

I ran my heat gun at 850 and that di the trick, it took +- 10 sec

Comment

8 minutes is a long time to heat the pcb.What model is your soldering heat gun and what temperature did you have it set to and did you use a nozzle
                        580 F is about 300C and is little low for unleaded solder, use max temperature and 3/4 air speed, the chip must be desoldeed in about 15-20 sec., if not check the hot air station. If you don't have enough experience, try to practice on faulty boards first.
                        YIHUA 8786D - it always the best of choose , i think so

Comment

Working...
                        X