SVHS Goodness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVHS Goodness

So I picked up today for $6 an SVHS VCR, something I have been looking for in bargain bins for a long long time. It's been around ten years since the guy at Sears was gonna sell this to me on "sale" at $200, I offered him $100.

In case you're curious, the model is HR-S3600U. I know JVCs are not the top pick of the litter but I checked inside, the caps are Japanese, and the picture this thing puts out is excellent.

I also picked this camcorder up many months ago, but I need an adapter for it (The model I need is PV-A22). This is a Panasonic Omnimovie PV-S445D.

Anyone also know where to get SVHS tapes?
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Re: SVHS Goodness

Originally posted by mockingbird
    Anyone also know where to get SVHS tapes?
    Do you mean blank ones or precorded ones?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Blanks. I'm not aware of anyone mass-producing SVHS videos, wasn't it used mainly for personal videos?
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

how do they differ from regular tapes?

Comment

Originally posted by stj
          how do they differ from regular tapes?
          Higher resolution.

Also OP, why not use DVD?

Comment

Oh this is for conversion. I figure if I'm doing a VHS to DVD rip, the SVHS VCR will give me a better picture. Also, with this VCR I can record "SVHS ET" which is SVHS to a normal tape. I tried it results are pretty good. Old school.

Comment

I've bought 3 $5 VCRs in the past year, and they were all fails.
              The first one worked for about a month. The other 2 were DOA. Annoying.
              I haven't seen an SVHS yet, I'd love to get one of those if I happen across a cheap one. But when I do, it probably won't work.

Comment

dont buy a vcr until you know where to get a new belt-kit, idler & pinch-roller.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't fall for that 'drill a hole' trick, as seen here:

http://www.technofileonline.com/text...persvhs90.html

SVHS tape is higher coercivity than 'normal' VHS tape. If you cheat and record the hotter, higher frequency, wider deviation with higher carrier freq signal onto regular tape, you're gonna have problems. It'll look minor at first- beading/overmod noise in high contrast areas, with partial self-erasure after the oversaturated domains 'neutralize' themselves.

VCR belt/pinch kits:
                  www.studiosoundelectronics.com

-Paul

Edit- way to bump an old thread!
                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                  Originally posted by shango066
                  All style and no substance.
                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Dead VCRs (and other discarded electronics) are a good source of various parts. In this case you get a few motors, gears, and miscellaneous mechanicals too.

Comment

SVHS came about in order to obtain a slightly better picture than VHS. SVHS is not a higher resolution picture even though certain advertising materials make that claim. The primary advantage is that the chroma and the video signals remain separated all the way to the tube, (assuming you have an SVHS CRT monitor). The system was intended to reduce chroma noise and crosstalk with the Y signal, and it did improve the picture slightly when used with the proper equipment. As far as your JVC SHVS machine, your main electronic issues will be the switching power supply. A bigger deal is worn parts in the transport and proper adjustment.
                      Is it plugged in?

Comment

The FM luma carrier on the tape is a higher frequency than non "S." We can deviate more, and still keep the LSB away from the 629 kHz color-under sub carrier.

More bandwidth and seperate Y/C.
                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                        Originally posted by shango066
                        All style and no substance.
                        Originally posted by smashstuff30
                        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Working...
                        X