Toshiba A135 stuck in sleep mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba A135 stuck in sleep mode?

Just got a dead A135 notebook from a friend recently. Notebook powers on but displays no video through the VGA or external monitor, keyboard won't work (except the FN key until I press anything else), except for once where I got it to display on both until I closed the laptop. Tried removing hardrive, swapping RAM modules, clearing CMOS, all that good stuff, still nothing. Think it may be the magnet for the lid closed switch, but I have no idea how that thing works with the motherboard. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Re: Toshiba A135 stuck in sleep mode?

Graphic card ?

Comment

Hope not, otherwise I'm out essentially the cost of a new one of these things.

Comment

If it were the lid sensor you should still get display to an external monitor. Try hooking one up to the VGA port and see what happens.

Comment

If it has a dedicated graphics card (= no onboard intel GMA crap), it might be using an MXM card, which can (in theory) be replaced with other (preferably low cost/low heat) models.
          If it has a Geforce 8400m - 8600m card it's most likely to be faulty. all too common problem.
          Geforce 7 series cards weren't much better regarding lifetime..

comparison between MXM card types and sizes
          http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Tech_13.html

I've successfully replaced a Geforce 8400m MXM Type II card in a Fujitsu Siemens laptop with a relatively cheap (40euro / about 55usd) ATI Radeon Mobility X300 32MB MXM Type I.
          it's not going to win any prizes in terms of performance, but it works, it's running one heck of a lot cooler (obviously.. no power = no heat ) and it kept a Core 2 Duo Laptop out of the landfill

Comment

One nvidia geforce 6600 MXM did worst thing is graphic package have 4 ram ICs at corners, and two dies STACKED in center of package.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1043&bih=639

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

ATI Radeon XPress 200M is the video stuff, integrated. Weird thing is I've got it to work once before, now it just kinda laughs in my face.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
                One nvidia geforce 6600 MXM did worst thing is graphic package have 4 ram ICs at corners, and two dies STACKED in center of package.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1043&bih=639

Cheers, Wizard
                kinda reminds me of the Geforce FX5200 Go (Geforce Go FX5200 ?) .. just not as insane..

Originally posted by cheese007 View Post
                ATI Radeon XPress 200M is the video stuff, integrated. Weird thing is I've got it to work once before, now it just kinda laughs in my face.
                sound like a reflow job :/

Comment

Which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world tbh, I got this for free and have no money invested in it. The re-flow makes sense since the last time it turned on it was when I moved it...

Comment

Working...
                  X