X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
    …or use a heavily used same spec'd Samxon that reads 270uF.
    What's the nominal, 330 uF?
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Yeah, 330uF. It was in a dead Enermax power supply where the PFC transistors and primary FET's shorted when it failed

Comment

It's too close to tolerance mantinel, I'd ditch it.
        Last edited by Behemot; 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

So you would have kept the CapXon too in that situation? It read 338uF. I still feel the need to replace it though

Comment

I don't usually replace input caps, mostly only the laughable small 200V ones or in displays where they tend to get bad more than I'd like.

Comment

HEC-550TB. Same unit as this thing. Caps on secondary are all Teapo, except for one Su'scon on the 5VSB and other assorted minor caps. Primary is CapXon.

Comment

I've seen that one before - i have the feeling you're gonna find "350W" silkscreened somewhere.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I doubt it. Regardless, I picked it up for $9.99 and it does 550w clean according to the review.

Comment

Good PSU, HEC makes good stuff when they try. I'd replace the Su'scon and Teapo though

Comment

Is not yet decided but should get bronze price http://diit.cz/node/92121/su/b607cf0...9eaded3f021841

Comment

Unknown OEM, the previous user ripped the label off but everything points towards a 350W PSU, as in 6A bridge rectifier, TO-247 13009 switchers, 35 transformer, 30A schottky on 3.3V and 5V, dual 20A schottky's in parallel for 12V

Take a look at those LCZ capacitors....Their capacitance is way off, and check out the sleeving on the bottom, horrible!

Worst of all, check out those resistors by the supervisory chip, they're broken?!?! Is this just your typical "chinese quality" ?

The rest of the caps consist of Asia'x, Canicon, and Kingcon (the ones with Ruby style vents)
                        Attached Files

Comment

Not ExplodeGen but the other one I still forget? Sun Pro? I'd say it was labeled at least 450 W
                          Last edited by Behemot; 08-05-2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                            I'd say it was labeled at least 450 W
                            Probably

Interesting guesses, but I would guess Sun Pro would have TB markings on the transformers. I was thinking this looks like an older Wintech

Comment

One as the other, I think they almost all use this two decades old design

Comment

No kidding..because people keep buying them! Think it was even functioning properly with those broken resistors?? They're connected to the POS pin (pin 16) on the PWM

Comment

P4, re those "broken" resistors, I think they are not broken, but intentionally snipped to trim some aspect(s) of circuit performance. The two resistors are 270K and 470K, and if in parallel with resistors of 1K-10K, those resistors could be used to have a small fine tuning effect. It's cheaper and quicker than a potentiometer, and slightly more reliable as well (compared to a potentiometer).
                                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Really? Interesting...Thanks Pete

Comment

I believe the manufacturer is Dongguan Jiqixin Electronics aka Kineagle Electronics.

Comment

In the heart of China! How did you figure out the manufacturer?? Amazing

Comment

AcBel API2PC23 200W power supply from a 2003 IBM S50 SFF desktop. The mainboard was full of dust and trashed, with twelve bad capacitors (the failed caps mostly being KZGs, three 85°C Rubycon YKs and a handful of small Rubycon CEs).

Photos were taken before removing the dust bunnies, in the early hours of the morning under a crappy CFL. The PSU is a two PCB design, separating the primary and secondary sides. Surprisingly, not one capacitor has bulged despite the amount of dust in there, although, the caps are entirely from Nippon Chemi-Con rather than the usual suspect brands found in most OEM PSUs.

On the primary board, we have a bridge rectifier, two 330uF 250V SMQ series and a massive PFC coil.

On the secondary board, there are some decent sized FETs and two copper heat sinks. The ATX power connector lacks the white -5V wire despite being from 2003, so it's a modern design (yet some cheap and nasty PSUs still come with them), and also has a single plug for a SATA hard drive - there is no floppy drive power connector (the floppy was a laptop style drive with a flat ribbon cable, although the board did have a regular 34-pin floppy cable as well). The 12V side has a single 2200uF 16V KY, 5V has two 1000uF 10V KYs, with the small caps being KME series (the larger KME with the vent is 100uF 50V). I can't see the other values around the 3.3/5/12V rails as it is too densely populated in there, but I assume these are also 1000uF 10V caps. I couldn't see the FET/Schottkey markings for the same reason.

The fan is a Protechnic MGA8012MS secured with rubber mounts instead of the usual screws, and has clips on the board so it can be replaced without having to get out the soldering iron. The fan was still OK however, despite the amount of dust, and the PSU still works as well.
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by Heihachi_73; 08-17-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X