Which card??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which card??

I have a very hard choice to make at the moment choosing between my graphics cards.
    I currently use an nvidia MX4000 64MB AGP 8x card in my homework PC. My homework PC is a P4 2.4Ghz with 512MB DDR400 RAM and based on a Gigabyte GA-8IG1000-G motherboard.
    Since my motherboard is based on the Intel 865G chipset, I have a choice between the onboard Intel Extreme graphics 2 with has 96MB of shared memory and also an AGP port which the MX4000 is currently on.

At the moment, I need the MX4000 card for a media center PC that I have. The media center cureently has a Winfast/ nvidia Ti200 64MB which is very noisy because the fan is worn and also the GSC caps on the graphics board scare me quite a bit.

I tried taking off the large heatsink but the thermal paste/ thermal plaster that I reapplied onto it about a year ago (which I also regret doing now) has now dried up and acts like glue so I can't pull the heatsink off the Ti200 card.

So for the replacement card I have two choices, the onboard Intel Video or a spare Asus V7100 MAGIC nvidia MX200 AGP 4x based graphics card with 32MB of memory.
    I don't know what card out of the two I should choose to use in my homework PC, because the onboard card has more memory, but then again I am going to lose some RAM to the graphics card. With the MX200, I don't know how it will perform in my PC compared to the Intel onboard graphics.

But then again, I do not use my homework PC for gaming or anything similar. The name 'Homework PC' suggests everything that I use it for.....

Any suggestions to what card I should use??

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Which card??

If you only work in 2D it makes no difference at all

Of course a card that shares system RAM is poor tho, not only does it steal RAM but it also hogs the bus down by always going to system RAM to do all it's work...

The TI4200 is by far the best of your cards, put it in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer; then you should be able to get the sink of next day...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
      If you only work in 2D it makes no difference at all

Of course a card that shares system RAM is poor tho, not only does it steal RAM but it also hogs the bus down by always going to system RAM to do all it's work...
      If onboard video is going to hog the bus, then I guess I'll use an external AGP card.

Originally posted by Per Hansson
      The TI4200 is by far the best of your cards, put it in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer; then you should be able to get the sink of next day...
      The Winfast brand card isn't a Ti4200. It's actually a GF3 Ti200 64MB card. It supports Pixel Shader 1.4 though which is very nice.

How does the freezer method work?? Does it make the heatsink paste become hard and allow the sink to be removed.... much like freezing chewing gum for removal from shoes??.
      I tried heating the heatsink up a while back and that didn't work at all so I will have to try this freezer method one day.... that's If I have the time.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Yea, works exactly like that... The stuff gets frozen and is then very easy to crack, the heatsink might even sometimes come loose by itself...
        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Go with any card for the AGP than use the onboard video.
          Almost all onboard video that shares memory will slow down the memory bus dramatically.

All you have to do is run some benchmarks to discover the performance hit.
          “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
          We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I am going to buy a new graphics card at the end of this week to upgrade my ATi X300 in my new PC. My budget is quite limited so I have only a few choices.
            I have a choice between the following cards:

* ATi HD2400PRO 256MB PCIe
            * NVIDIA 8400GS 256MB PCIe

Both of these cards cost $50-$55AUD and are what I can choose between. Which card would be the good one??.

Thanks.

Comment

OK, today I've been able to stretch my budget another $30 to $85 for the nvidia 8500GT 512MB card. I'm going to order/ buy it by the end of this week.

Comment

Just an update.... I got the Asus 8400GS 256MB card in the end. It costed me $54AUD. I didn't take the 8500GT because I wanted another GB of RAM for my system. The card has been good so far. Best damn card i've ever used!!.

Comment

found a review on XFX one (or version) Here

seems they are doing a passive version of the xfx card

I am really getting to hate google for looking for reviews all you seem to get is endless pages of shopping sites
                  suppose they got to make money...

Didnt find a review of the Asus one but suppose there is one somewhere

hope it works well for you stevo...54 bucks is cheap...if the review is anything to go buy doesn't look to bad for the money thats for sure...for a causal type gamer (but no guru on gaming cards)

cheers
                  You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

I bought several AGP 4x cards new from an eBay seller for $11 each. They are nVidia GeForce MX440 and intended for 2D work. I don't game. nVidia is really good about keeping up with their drivers, which is a big plus.

I also run a number of Matrox G450 dual-head cards. These are very stable and quite fast for 2D work.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
                      They are nVidia GeForce MX440 and intended for 2D work. I don't game. [...]

I also run a number of Matrox G450 dual-head cards. These are very stable and quite fast for 2D work.
                      For 2D only I prefer Matroxes and old Atis for their image quality, old nVidias for availability and ancient S3 Trios for maximum compatibility with not-x86 platform (there are more driver for Trios than for the venereable Ati Mach64 / Rage).

Zandrax
                      Have an happy life.

Comment

Do you game with older games? (older than 2008 and mostly older than 2006)
                        If you do, that video card should be reasonable.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
                          Do you game with older games? (older than 2008 and mostly older than 2006)
                          If you do, that video card should be reasonable.
                          I don't really play games very often. I do sometimes when I'm really bored. Most of my games are pre 2007. Some examples of the games I play are:

* The Sims 2
                          * World of Warcraft
                          * GTA: San Andreas
                          * Half Life
                          * Need for speed carbon.

The newest game I have so far is Bioshock and that's about it. Bioshock will run smoothly if I have the resolution set at 1024x768 @ 32bit and the quality settings on medium.

Comment

Im back again, this time with another two types of different cards. Now I have to make a choice between an ATi Radeon 9550 256MB and an nVidia FX5500 256MB card. The ATi card is fanless whereas the nvidia card has a fan. I do not play games and this is for a computer system that runs Windows Vista Ultimate with the fancy Aero graphics enabled. The CPU is an AMD 64 3400+, 1GB DDR 400 RAM bundled with a Gigabyte K8NNXP motherboard.

Thanks.

Comment

Since I use Linux, I would always choose the nVidia card. The Linux ATI drivers are pitiful. So if you ever wanted to try Linux, nVidia would be the best choice.

For windoze, I would check the cards support of DirectX. The FX5500 (FX5200) claims to support DirectX version 9:
                              http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html

So does the 9550:
                              http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9550/specs.html

It looks like the 9550 is slightly better than the FX5500. I think that Vista needs DirectX 10 for proper graphics support (don't know for sure). So neither support that.

Since the concensus on this forum is that Vista sucks, you should really start getting used to using Linux. You can dual-boot it with windoze, and get your feet wet. Then the nVidia card would be the best selection.

EDIT: I see that I am incorrect for the Vista DirectX requirement. According to this site, it only needs DirectX 9:
                              http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...uirements.aspx
                              Last edited by Paul S; 09-01-2008, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Should have gotten low end ATi card.

The 8800 series will have defective chip. FYI.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

every G9x and G8x chip except the G80 is probably defective.

thats why i bought a GF8800 GTS (320MB ; G80) instead of a 8800GT (G92)

Comment

The G9x and G8x chips are defective? Wait does hat mean my 8400GS is affected by this issue in any way? For now I don't see any issues... what will I expect to see?

Anyway, I've made the choice, I will use the Radeon 9550 256MB card in my new rig.

Thanks.

Comment

Go Nvidia everytime for gaming, especially if you are on a budget. You could get a nvidia 8500, or 8400, for 50USD, or a 8600GT for 70USD. Though ATI now has the fastest card, it is also the most expensive.

On my optiplex GX150, i ran performance test 6.1, with the onboard intel graphics (32mb of its own ram,) I ran the cpu and 2d/3d graphics. Then i put a pci radeon 7000 64mb in there, and not only did the 2d/3d graphics improve, so did the ram and cpu benchmarks.

Comment

Yeah, I was vastly disppointed that I was considering getting 8800 512MB someday. It is really good one for it's time and less hotter. Now HD3650, HD3760 (forgot a digit) and HD4xxx series are excellent.

So I'm sticking with Radeon stuff and I'm out of Nvidia stuff at last. (I have A7N8X, good one especially with 2000 Pro). I have a 6150 board but driver is cranky when I'm testing and adjusting TV projector (1080 capable video generators starts from 3,000 and up, I need DVI and component outputs). This will get turfed out for AMD chipset mainboard and radeon HD3650 eventually.

Nvidia have already enough screwing everybody lately and have to straighten out quick or die.

Matrox IS one to have for most uses and I trust it implictly for reliablity but had pulled out of consumer sector years ago. I still use them at my work.

Cheers, Wizard
                                        Last edited by Wizard; 09-01-2008, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X