AMD or Intel??....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AMD or Intel??....

Sure, the SKT 775 is a sure way to increase chipset sales.
    Google a little and make you familiar with the procedure.
    As long as you not touch the soket nor let the the cpu drop into it, you are safe.

I donĀ“t like it too much, but i can handle it up to now.

Comment

To be blunt, you'd have to be nuts NOT to go with Intel's Core2Duo architecture. Even the low end Core2Duo parts are killer when compared to their AMD counterparts.
      Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
      Zippy GSM-6600P
      Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
      Abit IP35Pro
      ATi HD4870

Comment

not for the price though... that's where AMD beats. the intel vs. amd at the same price (not equiv model) will always have the AMD win. Maybe I am nuts, Nade.

Comment

Maybe you are. Not to mention that if he is opting for a board like the P5K, he is going to overclock. Once that happens your dollar equivalent AMD is blown out of the water.
          Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
          Zippy GSM-6600P
          Abit IP35Pro
          ATi HD4870

Comment

I did the math today on buying a new board or upgrading the PC. Buying a new board is actually cheaper and more economical so I am going to do that.
            Also I don't want to risk damaging any sockets.

Originally posted by Super Nade
            Maybe you are. Not to mention that if he is opting for a board like the P5K, he is going to overclock. Once that happens your dollar equivalent AMD is blown out of the water.
            I am definitely going to overclock the CPU if I go with the P5K. I have heard that the P5K can overclock very well. I've never overclocked anything before so it's worth a try doing some overclocking.
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I own a P5K-E6550 combo. I'm stuck at 3.4 GHz (486 FSB) because of an FSB wall on the CPU. This board kicks ass. You won't be disappointed!
              Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
              Zippy GSM-6600P
              Abit IP35Pro
              ATi HD4870

Comment

I own a P5K-E6550 combo. I'm stuck at 3.4 GHz (486 FSB) because of an FSB wall on the CPU. This board kicks ass. You won't be disappointed!
                Damn that sounds pretty insane!!!

Comment

For the time being I think Intel (uncommonly) are ahead for performance per dollar. Quad core CPU's are now in family grade PC's thanks to Intels crazy low pricing are they trying to crush AMD out of business or something >.>
                  Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

Probably yes, this was IMHO not accidentally, this raid over AMD was carefully planed ;-)

Comment

When building a computer the motherboard is the most important decision to make over the CPU. The second would be the power supply, and third is the cooling fans. Unless you have an application that can benefit from one manufactures processor (which you may with video editing, I would check benchmarks) an AMD or Intel processor are both going to be more then fast enough.

I've seen a lot of AMD systems get a bad rap from system instability or random crashes. Then I open the case and see some $50 Jetway (crap) board full of GSC caps, inadequate cooling and a no name powersupply. The same processor on a good board ran fine. Your PC is only as strong as its weakest component.

The processor is by far the most reliable component of the computer. Most processor failures occur because of poor CPU installation practices (cracking, ESD), cpu fan failure/cooling system failure (overheating), and overvoltage (mainboard, powersupply failure, surges).

Comment

I have two similar systems. Both purchased in the middle of 2006. I know the prices are lower now, but this is what I had then......

ABIT AT8 32X 939 ATI CrossFire Radeon Xpress 3200 ATX AMD Motherboard
                        $175
                        AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX
                        $460

ABIT AW8-MAX LGA 775 Intel 955X ATX Intel Motherboard with Onboard 1394b
                        $150
                        Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W Processor Model BX80553930
                        $185

Check my folding stats to see how the two compare. Also, the AMD has 4GB RAM and the Intel has 2GB RAM.

$635 AMD vs. $335 Intel......and the Intel is faster.........you be the judge......
                        "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                        AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

well, forgive me for trying to save money. i'm not the one voiding my warranty.

Comment

I don't think any of the reasons given in the example above of cost applies. You're talking about cost for a S-939 architecture, that's no longer current.
                            If you had to spend $460 on a cpu for your old board, then it's an isolated case.
                            Cost and utility is relative, you wouldn't catch me dead paying my own cash for a $460 cpu, intel or AMD.
                            If it was a clean slate, the cost of a X2 AM2 cpu and motherboard is no where near that price.
                            That's why you can't preach away and make absolute statements like the obnoxious one above claiming you got to be nuts.
                            If you NEED computing power now, or simply a fanboy who simply desire the bleeding edge Quad Core, then go ahead and blow your income on them. Some would call you nuts.
                            Not everyone gauges computing that way. Some prefer to have their dollar go farther. We're not ready to sacrifice ourselves on the alter of consumerism for the latest tech release. Especially in an exponentially depreciating curve for computing in general.

Please provide a comparable system (intel) for the same cost/performance as $40-50 AMD X2 AM2 that'll overclock to 3.0 GHz. and an overclock friendly mboard for $50.
                            For under $100, that's a lot of computing. And quite frankly suits the needs of most users out there.

When 'crazy low pricing for Quad Cores' is stated, I like to know what you mean by that. Post some real dollar figures, and in relation to what?
                            ā€œWe the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                            We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.ā€

Comment

I was just giving an example of AMD and Intel offerings at the same time. All purchased from the same retailer that just so happened to have the best prices at the time.

As far as paying $460, well...all the AMD fanboys were praising it, so I figured it would be a good one for my first AMD build. I was wrong. I'm not preaching. Just giving a comparison. Don't get hostile over it. You like AMD...fine. I'll never touch another one.

Just because I have a quad core doesn't mean I'm a fanboy. (what drugs are you on???) i bought it to replace two VP6s. I don't think anyone here would call me nuts spending $500 on a quad core and a motherboard. if they do, thats their choice. People spend money differently. I bet you buy things that some think are crazy.

Relax.

Real dollar figure???? Look it up. I got mine for $280. Oooo...and the Abit IP35 for $185. Thats a $465 base for a smokin' setup that will last me a while.

I'd also like to point out that overclocking voids the warranty.

Sounds like you're the preachy one.

Comment

For the processor I have only a limited choice because of my budget. For the CPU I can only spend under $100AUD for a CPU, so I have two choices.
                                AMD X2 AM2 4000+ for $85 and Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 for $90AUD.
                                The motherboard I selected was the Asus P5K for the Intel build which costs $150AUD for the AMD build I was looking at the Asus M2NE-SLi at $106.

If overclocking will void my warranty then I am going to run everything at stock speeds.
                                I am also looking into Crossfire and SLi technology for the graphic cards, but I still can't make my choice between the two types of technology. I've never used any forms of SLi or crossfire or even seen any of the two in use with my own eyes.
                                I've always used single card configurations and never encountered any problems by using only one card.

Thanks.
                                Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                                  I am also looking into Crossfire and SLi technology for the graphic cards, but I still can't make my choice between the two types of technology. I've never used any forms of SLi or crossfire or even seen any of the two in use with my own eyes.
                                  One major difference between Crossfire and SLI that may be of concern to you is that the Crossfire technology supports multiple monitors. SLI unfortunately does not. Therefore even thou your two graphics cards are capable of displaying onto two monitors in a single card configuration, in SLI you can only display onto one monitor.

Comment

Be aware that you can't have both options. SLI only works with the nForce, CF needs an AMD/ATI or Intel chipset.
                                    (it works theoretically vice versa, but requires some driver tweaking).
                                    talking about drivers: SLI seems to be more flexible when it comes to games without a driver profile (you can edit the settings manually, which is impossible with CF.)
                                    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

For your budget, forget all about SLI & CrossFire. It dosen`t pay out with midrange GFX cards.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                                        For your budget, forget all about SLI & CrossFire. It dosen`t pay out with midrange GFX cards.
                                        I'd consider a 6600/6800/7600 a midrange card. Sure it pays out.
                                        (right now i use my rusty old ati 9500pro and I can play HL2, Doom3 etc with no problems. even THAT is midrange to me.)
                                        "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

Technically it will void your warranty. Makes you wonder about MOBO manufacturers.....a selling point being overclockability.

if i remember correctly, wasn't there a company making graphics cards based on ATI and they advertised that they were overclocked??????? damn CRS.

Comment

Working...
                                          X