X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AMD or Intel??....

Stretch:

Hahaha, Simma down now!!

Relax! You misunderstood me. The 'nuts' comment is really meant to address the 'bluntness' of another poster. And the post was more directed at him. Serves me right trying to combine your cost example and his labeling post.

What you wrote was exactly why I stated those cost examples don't apply. That's what it costed at the time. As now the cost examples would be reversed.
    Also, just like you've learned the hard way, never take advice from a fanboy base.
    My post is to counter such advice being given here that smells of fanboy. Like one or two sentence, absolute, no other reason, type of comments.

I didn't accuse you of being a fanboy. Reread the post and you'll see you fit under the first category. You required performance for a real task.
    I am no fanboy myself. I run both Intel and AMD. I steer towards the direction of getting the most for my dollar. Or course, my purchases are influenced by the pricing I am accustomed to. For those outside the 'States, they don't get the lower prices we enjoy. No VATs and GSTs. And, then there are the fanboys dumping stuff on ebay and craigslist. I take full advantage of fanboys upgrading, and there are a lot of them in Boston.

The $460 for just that cpu is what made me wince in pain.

Even with the lowered pricing out there, it's still a tough sell to urge a 15-17 y.o. that he must buy a Quad Core otherwise he's nuts.
    Like we both stated, it's all relative, and such advice ignores the OP's constraints and relation.
    “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Yeah WNG...kinda hard getting humor to be evident in the written word.

I hope it didn't seem like I was trying to push the QC. I was just giving numbers.

Now....SteveO....have you looked at <gulp> eBay?? In the past, I have bought PC stuff there and made out pretty well. If you're on a budget, you *might* find a good deal on there.
      "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
      AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

I won't stop doing this and I don't know why I am doing so, but I keep going after AMD based systems now. I was always an Intel person and I have never used an AMD system.
        There's this really cool AMD board made Asus which costs about $160 and is in my budget range. It's the Asus M2NE-SLI Deluxe and it has six SATA ports and some options that I haven't even seen before.... It's based on the nVidia nForce 570 SLI chipset.

Originally posted by stretch0069
        Now....SteveO....have you looked at <gulp> eBay?? In the past, I have bought PC stuff there and made out pretty well. If you're on a budget, you *might* find a good deal on there.
        I had a look on eBay just now. The prices on eBay AU are about the same as the stores. I prefer the a store because I can return things more easily in most cases, providing that I shop at a respectable store that has been in business for a long time. I've been through a rough past with buying computer equipment so I am very wary about where I shop now.

Thanks.
        Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I just built my first AMD based system, after 4 or 5 Pentium 4 systems. The prices for AMD processors are now quite reasonable. I went with a 64-bit CPU, because that seems to be where the future is headed.

This system is a MythTV system using a HDTV card. It may be too pricey for you, but I found that this was the lowest priced system (and smallest) that I ever built.

Here's the specs and prices

Memory - CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400 R - $81.00
          Barebones system - ASUS P1-AH2 $159.99
          CPU - AMD|A64 X2 4600+ 65W AM2 2.4G - $89.99
          DVD BURN LG|GSA-H62NK - OEM $28.99
          Remote XP MEDIA CENTER - OEM $27.08
          HDTV card - AVerTVHD MCE A180 $75.00

Total $462.05 (USD)

I'm using a monitor and speakers that I already had.

I am running the newly released Mythbuntu. This system ROCKS! I am sitting at my kitchen table watching HDTV as I type this (on my laptop).

The reason for choosing AMD was simple. The barebones system that I wanted only had the Nvidia video chip (6150) available in AMD socket models. You need to use nVidia graphics in Linux, as ATI support is minimal. Yes, I am using onboard video to watch HDTV, it's great!

Comment

I forgot to add the hard drive to the list:

Memory - CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400 R - $81.00
            Barebones system - ASUS P1-AH2 $159.99
            CPU - AMD|A64 X2 4600+ 65W AM2 2.4G - $89.99
            DVD BURN LG|GSA-H62NK - OEM $28.99
            Remote XP MEDIA CENTER - OEM $27.08
            HDTV card - AVerTVHD MCE A180 $75.00
            Hard Drive - Seagate 500GB SATA $120.00

Total $582.05 (USD)

Comment

$95.37 Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB (2x XMS2 1GB) PC-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 RAM, 2x240

$193.80 Asus P1-AH2 Socket AM2 Barebone System (No CPU, RAM and HDD), nvidia C51PV

$119.00 AMD Athlon 64 Athlon64 AM2 x2 Dual Core 4600

$79.90 LG 20x DVDRW BLACK RETAIL SATA VISTA GSA-H62NK

$47.50 A9O-00001. MICROSOFT REMOTE CONTROL FOR XP MEDIA CENTER ED

$145.00 SEAGATE SATA 3.5", 500GB, SATA 3.5" 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA II 3Gb/s

Couldn't find the HDTV card

$680.57 AU

add say $100 (probably more for the TV card)

Thats a quick search at

http://www.staticice.com.au

Was just wondering how the prices stacked up and not sure if the above is the same exact items

not to mention you would be shopping all over the place and would probably need to add shipping.

So guess your lucky your not here Paul S but thanks for the information

you may well find better prices
              but the idea of static ice is to find the cheapest
              but it don't always work well for that.
              (search terms, you could miss what you looking for due to the way a shop lists it)

Cheers
              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

To lower the price, you can use some different components. I only priced two different suppliers, and NewEgg.com was cheaper by only a little bit. By getting everything from one place, you save on shipping costs.

I have read that the 4200 processor works fine for this purpose. The DVD burner was one of the cheapest that NewEgg.com had, so a cheaper one could be substituted. The memory was not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. I didn't want to get an off brand for something this important.

Oh, and the remote that I got was an opened box item. I'm still trying to save a couple of bucks, even when spending big money.

I don't know what the exchange rate is for USD to AU, but since you are closer to most of the manufacturers (China?!) I would hope the prices would be less.

Comment

I don't know what the exchange rate is for USD to AU, but since you are closer to most of the manufacturers (China?!) I would hope the prices would be less.
                  not likely mate
                  (yeah China/ Asia is closer so go figure?)

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you were posting on and appreciate it
                  I was just curious to see roughly what they would go for here in comparison.

Generally speaking

they are quick to *jack them up (prices)
                  when our dollar goes down but slow to put them down if it goes up near there the US $.
                  (*they are technically not suppose to, but I am sure it happens)

There other odd thing is if you use the current exchange rate
                  its always more.
                  They claim price of doing bizz here (Aust) and shipping.

So its always costs more here then dollar exchange rate....

US based Companies that will ship international,
                  the shipping cost kill any real advantage.

Sometime you find a deal that makes it worth while but there is also the warranty etc issue and some companies cant ship here cause of an agreement with the supplier.

So we are sort of stuck here buying from local suppliers.

When money was referenced to gold it had some stability now this buy and sell money (whatever) its gone totally off the wall.

Guess someones milking the cash cow
                  (meaning us at the end of the day)

Anyway that really totally another subject I don't want to think about
                  (I really don't understand it)

Cheers
                  You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Before this thread gets too far off track, I found a system similar to mine that Dell offers. Can you Aussies get Dells for a reasonable price? The base system is $349 USD, upgrading the CPU to a 4400+ adds $150 USD.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Since I paid a lot less than $150 for my processor, you could get the basic system and then upgrade it. This would most likely void the warranty, but then you would have the same warranty that you get when you build it yourself = NONE.

Comment

The 570 SLI chipset isn't optimal if you have dual SLI video card gaming in mind.
                      I believe the 16 PCIe pathways are split 8 each in SLI mode, not 16 and 16.
                      Fine if you're only going to use 1 video card.
                      “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                      We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

That possibly an option to explore
                        get a pre build base system and build on it.

A quick search at Dell AU this is what I found Here

Although I think its the whole box and dice here, maybe they will supply box only I don't know.

True thought...when you build your own you only got the manufactures warranty of each component.
                        (and that added head ache of saying the components faulty not my building)

Me Id run a pre-build for awhile just to be sure theres no issues then upgrade it

Anyway its an option that could be explored not only with Dell

Comment

I was told today by my parents that we should go and buy a pre build for the gaming PC like what Starfury said because there wouldn't be any headaches about warranty etc.
                          And yeah, my parents also recommend that I buy a Dell.
                          We are looking at the Inspiron 530 series desktop because it is cheap at only $999 AU or $699 without a monitor.

In the meantime I am not rushing to buy a new gaming PC because I just added another 2GB of RAM to my current system and the performance difference is huge compared to the 1GB of RAM I had before.

I am now planning to update my graphics card and hard drive also because it's cheaper than building a new system and also I can use the parts I have now in a new system because I am using PCIe graphics and DDRII RAM.
                          Well for RAM, if the future is DDRIII then I have problems.

I am wondering what PCIe card should I choose for some good performance at a cheaper price ratio??.

I am currently looking at the ATi Radeon X2400PRO 256MB because it is under $100AUD and also has very good performance to the X300 that is currently in my system at the moment.... but I need some opinions from some other members on Badcaps.

Thanks.
                          Last edited by stevo1210; 12-07-2007, 07:50 PM.
                          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I've gone between intel and amd at least three times, when it comes to my main desktop anyway..

Started with a Celeron 333, then P3 550, then P3 700.
                            Then i went AMD with a 1.33 Tbird, then a XP 2100, then a mobile XP running at XP 3200 speed.
                            Then back to Intel with a P4 Northie 1.8, that ran quite happily at 2.833 with a Vcore bump. Then got a 3.4C northwood.
                            Then back to AMD with a 3000+ S939 Winchster, then a Venice, then a single core Opteron, then a 4800 X2, then finally a Opty 165 at 2.7GHz.

Went socket AM2, with a 3600 Brisbane X2, ran that at 2.8GHz. then a 5000+ BLack Edition at 3.0GHz..

Now i'm going back to intel with a E6750 and a overclockable G33 motherboard..

My, i've spent a lot on computer stuff in the past 10 years.. This list doesn't include my other desktops...

Don't even get me started on video cards.. Right now i've got the 640M 8800GTS with a 648 core/1500 shader/1020 MHz memory overclock, and i'll have to be happy with that for a while..

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210

I asked one store about AMD systems and they told me that AMD based systems always died (CPU wise), weren't good at overclocking and apparently are very fast when new and after a few years of use, the CPU wears out and becomes very slow
                              LOL AMDs don't slow down when they fail, they crash or you get an error.
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I got my processor today. The CPU i got is an Intel Pentium D 920 series CPU. It is clocked at 2.80GHz and has a 4MB cache.
                                Now all I need is a board. I think I will have a look at the Asus P5K or Foxconn P9657AA-8EKRS2H if I am on a tighter budget than I am now.

Comment

I got my processor today. The CPU i got is an Intel Pentium D 920 series CPU. It is clocked at 2.80GHz and has a 4MB cache.
                                  Now all I need is a board. I think I will have a look at the Asus P5K or Foxconn P9657AA-8EKRS2H if I am on a tighter budget than I am now.
                                  You should look for info about their VRMs: the Ds used to draw a lot of current and, of course, to run so hot you could turn off your room's heater in winter, beacuse the cpu was the heater.
                                  Any motherboard running Pentium Ds should have a sturdy VRM and, since Core processors aren't so power hungry, you should be careful with recent boards: I recently got into a Gigabyte P35-DS3, it should cost like the Asus and features a 6 phase module. Avoid both S3L and DS3L, their VRMs are inferior: XBitLabs got burned with it.
                                  I honestly don't know if solid state capacitors are worse or better than good electrolytic ones for VRMs, as I don't believe to marketing hype. Does somebody know?

Zandrax
                                  Have an happy life.

Comment

Intel always had the reputation for Brute Force (high heat) compared to Elegant Design (less heat) for the AMD. As long as I can get a HSF that keeps them cool, I'm ok. I don't overclock.

Evidently a big difference between Pentium-D and the new Dual Core is less heat from the DC?

I'm amazed at the dumping of yesterdays' high performance Intel boards. I got a D945GCZ for $39 (new), and a D955 for a few dollars more. The disappointing part of these boards is the large number of 85C rated field caps, and the number of middle-of-the-road system caps (i.e. KMG). These can be replaced, but it is more work, and voids the 3 year board warranty.

I was looking for an AMD/64 system, but was put off by the huge number of DOA feedbacks on Newegg for a wide variety of boards. I'm amazed at how many DOA, and across all AMD platforms. Pity. I did a Barton 2600 on an MSI board with factory premium caps. It runs OK for a business machine.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin

I'm amazed at the dumping of yesterdays' high performance Intel boards. I got a D945GCZ for $39 (new), and a D955 for a few dollars more. The disappointing part of these boards is the large number of 85C rated field caps, and the number of middle-of-the-road system caps (i.e. KMG). These can be replaced, but it is more work, and voids the 3 year board warranty.
                                      Hmm.... where did you buy those Intel boards for so cheap??

Comment

Just an update....

I purchased a motherboard to go with the Pentium D CPU. The motherboard I purchased was the Asus P5K-E WIFI AP edition. Now I just need some RAM, a graphics card, PSU and SATA hard drive and I'm set to go.

Comment

For the processor I have only a limited choice because of my budget. For the CPU I can only spend under $100AUD for a CPU, so I have two choices.
                                          AMD X2 AM2 4000+ for $85 and Intel Pentium Dual Core E2140 for $90AUD.
                                          The motherboard I selected was the Asus P5K for the Intel build which costs $150AUD for the AMD build I was looking at the Asus M2NE-SLi at $106.

If overclocking will void my warranty then I am going to run everything at stock speeds.
                                          I am also looking into Crossfire and SLi technology for the graphic cards, but I still can't make my choice between the two types of technology. I've never used any forms of SLi or crossfire or even seen any of the two in use with my own eyes.
                                          I've always used single card configurations and never encountered any problems by using only one card.

Thanks.
                                          Looks like were in the same predicament stevo1210. I'm currently contemplating buying a new system, well more like a combo actually of a Processor, Mobo & RAM.

Like you I'm also confused on what to get:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ or Intel E2140

Both are at the same price point here in my locality. I don't need SLI or CF or whatever else. I already have a 7300GT with DDR3, anyway. AND The heaviest game I would ever play with such a setup is CS:S.

People from another forum have told me to go for the AMD setup, since the mobos for AMD are cheaper. Is that true?

If your into OC'ing the E2140 you need a quality board with p35 chipset.
                                          CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
                                          GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti / GTS 450

Main Driver: Intel i7 3770 | Asus P8H61-MX | MSI GTS 450 | 8GB of NO NAME DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) | 1TB SATA HDD (W.D. Blue) | ASUS DVD-RW | 22" HP Compaq LE2202x (1920x1080) | Seasonic S12II-620 PSU | Antec 300 | Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1

Comment

Working...
                                          X