Running Ethernet cabling with hot glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Ethernet cabling with hot glue

I have mentioned this method before. It was learnt from one of my mentors telephone engineer mr loukakis who sadly died after getting hit by a bus on his moped just before his retirement.

The problem with running ethernet around the house is that it can look shit and people complain about drilling too much holes etc. Well this technique is likely to pass mum's or yer wife's inspection.

so we wanna run these two cables along the skirting board

we got the hot glue gun. necessary to have a good one and also to have good glue.

the first cable i have just glued. i have glued it mostly to the top of the skirting board and not the wall. it is a mistake to try to glue things on paint especially if it is crappy. so now i am putting hot glue on top of the lower cable.

its ok to do like a 1m of glue and then hold down sections periodically. be careful not to get glue on yer fingers.

and thats it done. if the wall gets painted again then can paint over the cables too for best effect. When it all has to be removed for some reason, most if not all of the glue will come off with the cables or otherwise with a knife.

people might say that the cables will be damaged by the heat. actually i have never damaged a cable this way. on the other hand using cable clips held with nails looks much crappier and i have damaged cables using that system.

can do several cables like this but more than 2 or 3 and you are better off using conduit instead. I would do offices with conduit because you dont know what else they will want to run in the future.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by willawake; 01-27-2008, 12:21 PM.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Re: Running Ethernet cabling with hot glue

Nice technique. If you wanted to get fancy you could take up the trim and run it behind that, assuming there's space back there. I know some trim has a cut out on the back side.
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Nice job with the cables but your floor is nasty.
      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

yeah under a bed is nasty
        and where i just drilled is nasty

Comment

dont forget the lesson of mr greg who borrowed my hot glue gun to install his home theater cabling. he managed to get hot glue on his fingers and shook his hand in pain and the hot glue landed on.......his lips.........

*if that happened to me i would have told nobody.......

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
            he managed to get hot glue on his fingers and shook his hand in pain and the hot glue landed on.......his lips.........
            Perhaps he opened the fridge later and tried to lick some ice: double pain

Zandrax

P.S.: it wouldn't be easier to hide the cable behind furnitures or skirtings?
            Have an happy life.

Comment

This is a nice technique for running cabling!
              Thanks!
              “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
              We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

interesting way of doing it willawake thanks

Oh yeah hot clue, I had a few painful experiences with that

on the lips oh thats really got to hurt....on the fingers is bad enough

did you get the hot glue gun back in on piece? or did he seek revenge with a hammer
                I wouldn't blame him, bet he's very careful next time...if there is a next time.

sorry to laugh at his expense but that is funny

Cheers
                You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Originally posted by WNG
                  This is a nice technique for running cabling!
                  Thanks!
                  I totally agree! Man this can also be good for neatly getting good speaker cable around a room for the rear speakers in a surround sound theatre system. The cheapo thin cable that is often sold with systems is usually thin enough to hide with other means.

Comment

Working...
                  X