Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung PN60E530A3F...makes startup noise, LED blinks 6 times and then dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN60E530A3F...makes startup noise, LED blinks 6 times and then dead.

So this thing, for which I have no service literature whatsoever for just showed up at the door to be looked at.

This customer is a bit of a DIYer so he gave me the Y sustain board to recap. A 250V 150uF cap (C5091) was bulging and all of those types (Samwha PF) were replaced with Panasonic EE high ripple type caps. When that failed to fix the issue, I told him to bring the entire TV in as there was no way I was going to troubleshoot this one board at a time.

The symptom is the same: The boot sound plays, there is no image and then the standby LED blinks 6 times. What does 6 blinks mean and what board should be probed first?

This is also the first plasma to grace my bench! I have a general idea of what the boards do, etc but no practical experience actually troubleshooting one. (I'm mainly doing PCs, LCD monitors and big power amps here.)

Re: Samsung PN60E530A3F...makes startup noise, LED blinks 6 times and then dead.

The blinking light means nothing. This is a common confusion around Samsung sets... it is just normal power up blinking.

First, check VERY carefully around the screen for any cracks or chips: they will cause this exact symptom. They can be right on the edge of the panel.

I'm very surprised you had a bad capacitor on one of these sets; did you happen to keep the old one so we can see how it's failed?

Then, focus on the small board centrally placed in the TV chassis. It's a small green board, just below the power board, where the power connects. This is the control/logic board.

There should be a light on it, does it blink at all? If it blinks, does it blink about once a second, or once every 5-7 seconds?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Re: Samsung PN60E530A3F...makes startup noise, LED blinks 6 times and then dead.

With the lower ribbon cable from control to Y sustain disconnected I have a 1Hz blink and perfect Vs and Va rails.

With the lower ribbon cable attached: Vs and Va are shut down, light stays on for approximately 5 seconds and stays off for approximately 2 seconds.

The cap that failed on Y sustain has a very slight bulge at the top. It did not leak.

Comment

I will be available for more tests Friday night. (may be early morning for you, I'm -6 GMT)

I'm off to my home town for lucrative Apple repairs and to help repair the upstairs bathroom. (It got torn apart by plumbers replacing 80 year old pipes.)

Comment

Ok, I'd start checking Vsc and if available Vsch on Y-main board.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Just post back when you are ready.

Comment

Ysch: 0V

Vscan 15V: 800mV

Intuition tells me to hunt for a short.

Comment

Pull the Y-buffer board and check if those voltages return, if only briefly.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  Pull the Y-buffer board and check if those voltages return, if only briefly.
                  No appreciable change in voltages were found after this test.

Comment

I have found an open resistor on the Y main board. R5027 is open, 100k and it appears to be a 1/2W fusible resistor. This resistor is in parallel with C5091, the cap that had visible bulging.

Check U5014?

Comment

U5014, is that the switching controller IC for Vscan/Vsch? If so yes I would check it.

Comment

U5014, is that the switching controller IC for Vscan/Vsch? If so yes I would check it.
                        Integrated SMPS and switching MOSFET. I'll dig up the datasheet and see if I can figure things out.

Comment

No short between source and drain on the SMPS IC, will test for output waveform, controller Vcc and main supply. No other open fusible resistors found.

Comment

It seems like you have a rough idea of what you're doing!
                            It is possible, maybe, that the capacitor has shorted. I have seen a few cases of this although it is rare.

Comment

If that shorted then it could have taken out the controller but it's *in theory* protected against such.

The small SMD diodes on the solder side are looking good as well.

I'll probe that IC after I fix a friend's car.

Comment

Oh, I thought the capacitor was on the input side of the converter. It's on the output?

Comment

Oh, I thought the capacitor was on the input side of the converter. It's on the output?
                                  It appears to be the Vscan rail buffer. Do you have a schematic for this TV?

Comment

I don't I'm afraid.

Comment

Hey guys i dont know if you were able to find the problem for this TV. But I would find it nice if you could guide me if you did beacause i have the exact same problem were the tv simply does athe bootup sound then nothing. though when i received it it was cold outside so when i tested it first the tv worked proply( probably because it was cold) then once it warmed up a little it started having the symptoms I mentioned earlier.

Comment

Read through this thread. Pretty much everything you are looking for there.

Especially the cold start/warm no-start problem...

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=43075&page=6
                                        Last edited by jjanssen7; 01-20-2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X