Dell OptiPlex GX270 - multiple bad cap failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell OptiPlex GX270 - multiple bad cap failures

The font on the Nichicon capacitors in the picture look a bit dodgy...
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
      font looks wrong on those nichicons.
      fakes?
      can you show the correct font printed on a cap.
      because on all the nichicons I removed from the MB the printing is small and bad.

Comment

I have had three GX270's fail within 2 weeks with the same problems as those described here. I called Dell's tech support and they offered to replace all three motherboards. Warranty support expired in Dec '06 on all three. The tech said that Dell would be replacing motherboards on these systems with that problem until January 2008. So if you have dead systems out there, get on the horn now. BTW, there was no hassle about the replacement.

Comment

good stuff maybe dell does not suck so much after all....
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

The only caveat with getting Dell to replace boards is if the board is still functional, especially if you're trying to get it through Warranty Parts Direct. If there is no noticable symptoms (won't POST, crashing, etc) but there are failing caps, Dell makes a stink about it. WPD will ONLY replace boards if there's some kind of failure in the system. If it's working fine, they won't replace it.

It's probably better to call their 800 number & get it replaced through that way. That way you can argue with a tech & tell them "It doesn't matter if it works, it leaks & your warranty still covers it" until they give in.

Comment

Originally posted by novasat
              Hi Topcat

do I have to replace other caps on board?

is there a problem with 2200mf ?
              20% more in value
              I can use 8pc instead of 9
              What the fake Nichicon! Like the fake caps from retail market in mainland, can you tell me where is your sourcing of these caps?
              My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by novasat
                can you show the correct font printed on a cap.
                because on all the nichicons I removed from the MB the printing is small and bad.
                The font on genuine Nichicon caps are a bit smaller then those fake Nichicon caps. The text to show the values also look fake, I am holding a genuine Nichicon HE series 1000uf 6.3V cap (from Digikey) and the text on that looks different than on your fake Nichicon.

Here's a picture of genuine Nichicon caps:
                Last edited by Newbie2; 08-11-2007, 10:23 AM.
                My gaming PC:
                AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3GHz Six-Core CPU (Socket AM3)
                ASUS M4A77TD AMD 770 AM3 Motherboard
                PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB GDDR5 PCI-Express x16 3.0 Graphics Card
                G.SKILL Value Series 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM (4x4GB dual channel)
                TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD (x2)
                WD Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 3.5" SATA HDD
                ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI sound card
                Antec HCG-750M 750W ATX12V v2.32 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
                Antec Three Hundred Mid-Tower Case
                Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
                Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Comment

I just call Dell about the GX270 mother problem that I'm having. (Blank screen and of the problems with booting) They are sending out a new board in the next 3 to 5 days no questions asked.

http://warrantypartsdirect.dell.com/...m/T1910000.ASP

Many thanks to badcaps,

V-Man

Comment

I called them and unfortunately they could not help me because i bought my 3 systems at a police auction and I did not have the original owner information which they require....

as far as i'm concerned, the system tag number and board tag number should be all that is needed, but that's just me....

Comment

dell customer disservice sucks as bad as their products.
                      anything to weasle out of a valid claim.

Comment

i filled out the proper form on the dell website on january 23rd and they told me to wait 10 to 15 business day for a confirmation.

i got tired of waiting so i emailed tech support today and they claim that the offer for free board replacement expired on january 31, 2008.

oldest trick in the book and i fell for it.

i must be getting old....

Comment

see my post above.

Comment

I just replaced the caps on one of these for a customer and had an interesting result.

Machine presented with typical boot message about thermal event. Inspected caps - some swollen, a few cracked and oozing. Replaced 9 caps, reassembled and had the same message about thermal event...hmmm...somethings not right.

Pulled the cpu heatsink and it had no thermal grease on the bottom of it, but plenty on top of cpu. Looked at the plastic heatsink retainer and discovered that there was too much vertical play in it.

I epoxied the retainer down to the motherboard (those push clips just weren't holding tightly enough), reassembled and problem solved! Prime95 ran torture test for a solid day with no failures.

So now I'm wondering if this poorly designed heatsink retainer is somehow causing the caps to fail or if this example simply had two separate issues.

I did have to remove the metal retainer plate under the motherboard (which is held on by the same push clips as the retainer itself) to replace the caps, so perhaps my repair efforts caused the play in the retainer.

It would be interesting to see if other failing OptiPlex boards have the same play (retainer legs lifted off motherboard) before being worked on. The thermal tape used by OEM probably would probably prevent a feeler gauge from being used to see if there is any space between cpu and heatsink.

Comment

its easy to have the pushpins bind up and not seat all the way down.
                              i always doublecheck them.
                              i prefer the board be sent in the tray so it is less succeptible to shipping damage ant to be sure the retainer is installed right.

Comment

so i got one of these gx270's at a thriftstore really cheap, and had no problems for a good while, until yesterday. after reading i looked inside and found the bad caps. i am getting the thermal error and can't boot, but the fan is working just fine. as everyone knows the open recall ended in january, and since i am not the original owner they would have taken a crap on my head anyway. i would like to replace the bad caps myself, but dont really know how to get replacements. i have plenty of experience soldering, and if i ruin the board who cares it doesnt work anyway. so if someone could point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. TIA.

Comment

lol an optiplex GX270 blew up at school today (not literally "boom", but there was a very strong smell of smoke and the dell stopped working)

Comment

Hi, I've been reading through this thread and it's been really enlightening as I'm trying to get my GX270 motherboard recapped.

Going by what I've learnt in this thread there appear to be just 5 Nichicon capacitors on my board and they're the ones that have swollen.

[As a bit of background, my Optiplex developed a problem over a year ago. One day it just didn't boot up so I switched it off and on again and it worked. In a strange way it was probably a bad thing that I got it to work this way as I just put off and off the day of reckoning when I'd have to deal with the problem. The period that I had to leave the computer before rebooting grew longer until, well... you know the rest (the words 'dead', 'seemingly' and 'machine' come to mind) Anyway, I've been without the thing for a good few months now - time in which I've been forced to investigate the issue as I didn't want to fork out for a replacement machine - but I've now located an electronic repairs guy that'll do the soldering for me.]

The 5 caps that are bulging at the top are 1500uF, 6.3v with 105degreesC printed on them. As for their location, 'a picture speaks a thousand words'...

Having checked out the Farnell link on the forum here, I've come across Rubycon caps that have me wondering if they'd work as replacements. I don't know much about electronics so I'm not sure if their spec is compatible... link
                                    One thing that does concern me is that they're 20mm in height and not 12.5mm like the five swollen Nichicon caps on the board.

The site does suggest this Panasonic as an alternative - it's low ESR - but it's also 20mm in height.

Finally, I've opened up the PSU but forunately none of the caps in it are swollen [YET!] and that tallies with the fact that the computer always powered up. However, I cant see branding on any of these caps and I'm concerned that there might be some Nichicon ones in there too. Pics...

PSU innards:

Group of caps:

Close up of cap in behind the ones above:

The big capacitor on the PSU is a Rubycon:

What does concern me is that a number of the caps in the PSU - like the ones above - have the X shaped indentation noted as a Nichicon feature in this thread.

Comment

Nichicon HN and HM manufactured between 2001 and 2004 were defective.
                                      You are lucky it lasted this long.
                                      You are unlucky because Dell extended the warranties to fix boards with this issue but the extension expired Dec 2008 (as I recall).

All HM or HN with date codes in that range should be replaced.
                                      Example "H0344" - means year 2003, week 44 [I dunno what the letter is.]

Height doesn't matter as long as the heatsink or an add-in card aren't obstructed.

The swollen caps you marked should be replaced with MBZ or better.
                                      My personal preference would be one of:
                                      Rubycon MBZ, MCZ ,, Panasonic FJ, FL ,, Sanyo WG

This site sells a kit for that motherboard or you can order individual caps if you don't need the whole kit.

Taicon and LTEC in PSU don't 'look' bad but preemptive replacement isn't a bad idea.
                                      I can't see what series' they are so I can't make any recommendations as to replacements.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

PCBONEZ, have you heard of any firms that supply the Rubycon MBZ or MCZ caps in the UK or Ireland? It's just that I'm over here and it'd probably be cheaper and quicker to source these at home rather than from the US.

Comment

Not great to be replying to myself but I've come across Panasonic's FC and FM capacitors - mentioned in FAQ - at RS Components. Apparently, FM are the better of the two.

How does the Panasonic range stack up against Rubycon's MBZ and MCZ caps that I've heard so much about?

Comment

Working...
                                          X