Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite “quick-fix” fastening materials

Duct tape and zip ties for me
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Okay, so I did a bit of experimenting with various plastics and PVC cement as well as CyanoAcrylate (Super Glue). Here's what these two can glue and what they can't:

PLASTIC TYPE ......... Recycling Number ................ dissolved by: PVC Cement .... CyanoAcrylate
      ...................................................................................................................................
      PET/PETE ........................ #1 .................................................... NO .................. NO
      HDPE .............................. #2 .................................................... NO .................. NO
      V/PVC (vynil).................... #3 .................................................... YES ................. YES
      LDPE/PELD ....................... #4 .................................................... NO .................. NO
      PP (polypropylene) ............ #5 .................................................... NO .................. NO
      PS (polystyrene) ............... #6 .................................................... YES ......... NO (maybe?)
      (^ aka Styrofoam)
      PC (polycarbonate) ............ #7 ............................................. NO (maybe?) ... YES (maybe?)
      ABS ................................ #7 .................................................... YES ................ YES

Basically, what I found is that PVC cement works very very well on ABS and PS plastic, mostly because it contains a good amount of MEK and Acetone, both of which dissolve ABS and PS. With PC plastic, this wasn't so apparent, so I can't say if PVC cement works well on it (or at all). That said, Super Glue seems to work okay on PC plastic and seems to dissolve it mildly. In a pinch, Super Glue can also be used on PS and ABS, though it didn't seem as if the glue was dissolving the plastic that much, so it probably won't create as strong of a joint as PVC cement. But that doesn't really matter, since you don't want to over-apply Super Glue anyways, because then it won't cure.

So moral of all of this: if you are in a hurry, Super Glue will work with the plastics stated above. But if stronger joint is needed and drying time is not a problem, then PVC cement is the way to go.
      Last edited by momaka; 10-02-2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        Seen 3M tape hold trim on vehicles for 30+ years, I stand by my comment.
        Provided it hasn't expired. I once bought a roll of 3M trim tape from an electronics surplus store and used it for a car's side molding, and once the weather hit 110F, the molding fell off. Changed the tape -- fell off again. Bought fresh 3M tape -- held the trim forever.

Comment

"GOOP" brand glue.

I love it so much I wish I could marry it.

Sticks to EVERYTHING, including most plastics.
          Fills in voids.
          Doesn't shrink much. (if at all)
          Waterproof.
          Holds better than JB Weld, and doesn't get brittle like most epoxies.
          Lasts "forever," unlike Ca glue.

Usually comes off quite easily with some heat & minor effort, even after years of use.

The only downside it that it's hard to sand or file, unless it has cured for several months.
          Last edited by Cableaddict; 11-25-2016, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X