Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fireworks!

Hello.

To continue my learning experience here, I've bought an Oscilloscope and am slowly learning how to use it.

I've tested several new, recapped and still functional PSUs with mixed results and a bit of perplexededness on my part...

But I hadn't tested a truly bad PSU. You know the kind.... one with the hatching Fuhjyyus still inside.

Well, I recently had such an opportunity! I won a $5 PSU on eBay, described as Old, but still works. So it got here the other day. It's an ancient HEC 300AR.
    I took a peek inside and.....
    a vented Fuhjyyu!
    Primary caps are CapXon and secondaries are Fuhjyyu, CapXon and Per-mar? I think.

Plug it in, jumper the green wire and Blooey! Well, OK, a loud ominous hissing sound with lots of smoke coming out of a ruptured Fuhjyyu 2200uf/16v which ended up being on the 12v rail. I didn't want to run it for more than a few seconds at a time so I only scoped the 12v. Ripple was way over 700mv! Oh, just call it a volt!

So just for educational purposes, I took it apart and put in some Nichicon PW and Rubycon MCZ. Oddly, the 5v rail had 3 caps on it, a 3300 and two 1000uf all on the trace with the red wires on it. 3.3v had a single 2200 on it and 12v had one blowed up Fuhjyyu 2200/16.

Put it all back together and..... No more smoke! 12v Ripple at 60-70mv only because of some weird wavyness, otherwise it looks like around 20mv. (idle) 3.3 and 5 v also at 50-60mv without the wavyness.

The PSU itself is quite heavy with all of the input filtering stuff and an actual bridge rectifier. The heatsinks and attached transistors and stuff are plenty big as are the choke coils. The fan appears to be temperature controlled and is very quiet. This looks like an old Antec.... plenty sturdy but cruddy capacitors in it. Now I've got just the PSU for any PII or PIII system that might stroll in!

Have fun!
    Keri
    The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Re: Fireworks!

The bad ones are fun to scope, aren't they?

Comment

The scoping was fun.....

The Hissing, Crackling and SMOKING was NOT .

I was like: OH NO! HAAAAAALP!

Oh, then I thought:
      The SMOKE DETECTOR!!!

So after opening doors, turning on exhaust fans and generally panicking in 10° F weather.... I thought: well, it is kinda pretty, sorta like a smoke machine at a fancy nightclub.

With an aroma of eau d' Fuhjyyu.

Nothing a can of Febreze can't fix,
      Keri

Comment

Hee hee.

Must've smelled pretty bad huh?

Comment

Oh, not THAT bad. Surprisingly gentle on the ammonia/fried electronics smell. I suspect that it must have already stunk itself out for the previous owner.

My smoke alarm didn't go off, I was just really scared that it might.

The smoke was white and stayed near the floor. My smoke alarm is near the ceiling.

I need a new carpet anyhow!
          Keri

PS. BTW, the Incredible Smoking Fuhjyyu tests at 10uf! How does something that small make so much smoke?
          Last edited by KeriJane; 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
            PS. BTW, the Incredible Smoking Fuhjyyu tests at 10uf! How does something that small make so much smoke?

Comment

LOL!

I don't think that I'm the first person to make this up but here goes:

Being curious about the nature of things and particularly about how electricity works, I've come to some startling conclusions:

Electronics DO NOT WORK by the complex interaction of electrons dancing their way through conductors and semiconductors all the while bouncing off of Insulators, doing loop de loops though inductors, getting all jazzed up at Club Capacitor and playing Silly Noogins with magnetic fields.

That is a load of Hogwash designed to mislead the gullible!

Electronics really work because of SPECIAL MAGIC ELECTRONICS SMOKE that is carefully compressed into electronic components before being sealed carefully inside at the factory.

The only problem with fine quality Chinese components is that they (in a gracious act of generosity) always try to put too much of the expensive smoke in which invariably leads to some leaking out.
              Meanwhile, cheap, tightfisted Japanese and American companies shortchange their customers by not giving us all of the smoke that we've paid for! Most unfairly of all, their reputation doesn't suffer in the least because of this unscrupulous and fraudulent behavior. Why? because there's so little smoke in a Rubycon that hardly any ever leaks out!

UNFAIR!
              Keri

Comment

hahahaha! ROFL.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                X