Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I power this thing up?(I HAVE NO VARIAC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I power this thing up?(I HAVE NO VARIAC)

do what do I do with all the diodes? and thermistors?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
      do what do I do with all the diodes? and thermistors?
      Once again, you don't have thermistors in that power amp!
      Just STV-3s, bias diodes, which will be fine if undisturbed. They're mounted to the heatsink.

If you're confused as to what they are, look at the schematic. The STV-3s have diode symbols, don't they? If you don't have the sch, I''ve attached it.

The only thermistors in this unit are the ones on the prot relay PCB, for temperature compensation, so the trip point is (mostly) the same over varying ambient temperatures.
      Attached Files
      "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
      Originally posted by shango066
      All style and no substance.
      Originally posted by smashstuff30
      guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
      guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Got a list of caps to replace:
        List of caps to replace

Now, is there anything else to replace? And have I gotten all of the caps to replace? I got the caps from the amp, the prot. board, and the tone board. Thank you.
        Attached Files
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

my experience with old stuff,

check the power cable - is it still flexible & smooth - not stiff or cracked?
          take all the fuses out (one at a time) - are all the clips still tight and springy?

Comment

power cable: yup.
            fuses: most are soldered in, main fuse holder needs juuuuust a little work.
            update: fixed main fuse holder
            Last edited by TechGeek; 08-04-2016, 08:58 AM. Reason: update

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

what to do now? is there anything else that needs replaced?

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

hello?

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

hello??????

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

does it work? if yes then just change the caps for now.

later you can check switchs & pots for crackle and any backlights in meters etc.

Comment

Volume is dirty and one of the switches is dirty. Going to clean it soon. Right now, the signal strength meter is frozen.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                        The Marantz 2325 is going for $1,175.00, i don't get why. These fuckers are deaf! They can't pick up a 1 watt FM transmitter next to the bloody antenna! Yet a yamaha CR640 has no problem picking it up from across the room! Marantz garbage!
                        While I will say prices have gone INSANE with these, the particular unit you have seems to need a tuner alignment very badly. The tuners in these are quite sensitive if they're operating properly.

I'd also recap that voltage regulator board and adjust its output. The tuner won't work for crap if it's out of whack.

Comment

Working...
                        X