• Show
Clear All

Re: Go from XP3000+ to 2.8 P4?

VIA ugh.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

There is no reason what so ever to "upgrade" your Athlon XP CPU to a P4
      You will not see any performance improvement, if you find any differece it will be in benchmarking and way less than a 10% difference

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/c...hmarks,18.html

If you want your current system to perform faster get a Barton CPU that overclocks well, that will net you a much bigger and cheaper performance upgrade vs swapping out the mainboard for a outdated P4 board
      I used a Athlon XP-M (M for mobile) 2500+
      It would do 2300Mhz without even increasing the voltage to the CPU
      It is infact still in use today at my parents house as a HTPC, it can do 720p (and 1080p with very little headroom)
      I'm using a ATI 2400Pro AGP in it...
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
        There is no reason what so ever to "upgrade" your Athlon XP CPU to a P4
        You will not see any performance improvement, if you find any differece it will be in benchmarking and way less than a 10% difference

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/c...hmarks,18.html

If you want your current system to perform faster get a Barton CPU that overclocks well, that will net you a much bigger and cheaper performance upgrade vs swapping out the mainboard for a outdated P4 board
        I used a Athlon XP-M (M for mobile) 2500+
        It would do 2300Mhz without even increasing the voltage to the CPU
        It is infact still in use today at my parents house as a HTPC, it can do 720p (and 1080p with very little headroom)
        I'm using a ATI 2400Pro AGP in it...
        Thank you for getting right down to the point.
        So the upgrade won't have any real notable improvement.

If you already said something like this but I didn't hear you, now is your moment to throw stuff at me.
        Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Pentium, you should invest in getting P4P800 board if you can get it under 30.

Reasons for this is better driver support, USB that works properly and other issues that you could have with old board is resolved in 2000 and XP.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I would honestly do some OCing on the Barton.....I got mine to 2.3GHz. There's no PR rating for that speed as AMD never took the Athlon XP that far but I do know its quicker than a 2.8GHz Netburst CPU! (In most things it was similar to a socket 75 Athlon 64 2800!)

There are different steppings of Prescott....the early 103W and a later one that OC'd like mad and had a tamer 89W TDP. I have a 3.2GHz 89W one on an i875 board in my bulk virus scanner/backup server.

Comment

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3572

Comment

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=3572

Check the P4 vs other CPUs, even E2200 that costs about 80 is beating down formerly P4 that cost a grand.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I have many Athlon boards in client machines.

The fastest one is a Barton core, 2.0 GHz, 400 FSB, DDR-400 at 3-3-3-8.
                  Everest scores are:
                  2990 MB/s for Memory Read
                  2826 MB/s for Memory Write
                  692 Float Point Julia

Compare with a P4 in a D875PBZ board
                  Northwood core, 3.4 GHz, 800 FSB, DDR-400 at 3-3-3-8.
                  5508 MB/s for Memory Read
                  4226 MB/s for Memory Write
                  1121 Floating Point Julia

In short, the P4 pounds the snot out of the Athlon.
                  The E8400 Core2 Duo pounds the snot out of P4:

Wolfdale core, 3.0 GHz, 1333 FSB, DDR2-1066 at 5-5-5-15.
                  7319 MB/s for Memory Read
                  7064 MB/s for Memory Write
                  5569 Floating Point Julia

Comment

bgavin; Do you play Everest allot?
                    Memory performance never meant much, not even 10 years ago!

When real world tests conflict with stuff like Sisoft SANDRA and Everest and 3dmark et all you have to consider that maybe their sofitware is created to cather to, umm, how do I put this, people like me that has nothing better to do than benchmark?
                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

if this stirs the pot any, I picked up a 3.2ghz Hyperthreading P4 the other day for $5.
                      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Pentium, Very nice score. That's exactly what you should be paying for. Not too much.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
                          2-Apparently the Northwood Pentium 4 processors gave off insane amounts of heat.
                          Northwoods run really cool

You're thinking prescotts (AKA PresHots)

Originally posted by bgavin
                          I have many Athlon boards in client machines.

The fastest one is a Barton core, 2.0 GHz, 400 FSB, DDR-400 at 3-3-3-8.
                          Everest scores are:
                          2990 MB/s for Memory Read
                          2826 MB/s for Memory Write
                          692 Float Point Julia

Compare with a P4 in a D875PBZ board
                          Northwood core, 3.4 GHz, 800 FSB, DDR-400 at 3-3-3-8.
                          5508 MB/s for Memory Read
                          4226 MB/s for Memory Write
                          1121 Floating Point Julia

In short, the P4 pounds the snot out of the Athlon.
                          lolwut.

That advantage is rather pathetic given the clockspeed difference

(And if we were talking a few years back, the price difference is not in the P4's favour either)

Comment

Northwood p4 vs socket 754 or 939 would be more fair. Intel lost vs AMD until core2 duo.

Comment

NxB is correct. I kept on barton 3000+ in 2004 through to around early 2008, went with Pentium Duo (same as C2D but low end) as I can't justify the P4 price/performance ratio plus heat. Evaluated Prescott-based 2.4 Celeron socket 478, what a flop and sold it off in one or two months. Oh yeah, 80W for this pathatic 2.4GHz. Oh please!

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I want an opteron. Too bad the 939 ones are so expensive.

Comment

NxB, 939 is long gone. I had Athlon 3000+ socket 462 and I can't justify the cost of 939 and chipset selections were bad/problems back then. The AMD chipset when it took over ATi was when I started considering it good choices after enough reports confirmed good reputations.

Go AM2+ or AM3. Pair it with AMD 780 chipset. Not Nvidia.
                                  Right now AMD CPUs are running good prices especially the Phantom II and Athlon II (yes, just came out last week). Stick it together with a DDR2 dual channel AMD chipset based mainboard. Hold off on the DDR3 a bit more time for price to fall.

Intel is running bit high cost but really GOOD processors and intel chipsets if you don't mind the price. Look at E7400/E7500, this is VT enabled. Midrange is E8400, mid-high quads. high end is i7. The i5 will not be available till sept/fall timeframe and will cost lot for what it is beacuse of performance levels stomps on C2D.

Cheers, Wizard
                                  Last edited by Wizard; 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I only have 939. If I had to build a whole new computer today I'd like dual sockets, more memory slots, and more than 2 sata ports. If I wanted AMD, I would be stuck with socket F which sucks because of the premium.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson
                                      bgavin; Do you play Everest allot?
                                      Memory performance never meant much, not even 10 years ago!

When real world tests conflict with stuff like Sisoft SANDRA and Everest and 3dmark et all you have to consider that maybe their sofitware is created to cather to, umm, how do I put this, people like me that has nothing better to do than benchmark?
                                      I do a full audit of every machine I service or build.
                                      My preference was for the old Ziff-Davis tests built around Excel, etc. Those tests have gone by the wayside, and were time consuming to setup and run.

The value of the data is entirely in its relative comparison to other machines tested in the same manner. It is most useful for flushing out slow disk and 2D video systems. I don't game, nor do I care, so 3D performance isn't a priority.

The vast majority of Windows I/O is on the memory bus.
                                      The FSB and Memory bus speeds are tantamount.
                                      Processor clock speed is almost irrelevant for bus intensive operations.
                                      All the processor does is WAIT faster while the bus is busy.
                                      I find the Everest performance is directly relative to memory-intensive apps such as Quickbooks and Medisoft (huge pigs).

For me, the difference between the Athlon and P4 3.2 is the difference between "sluggish" and "usable".

I buy Northwood 2.8 P4/512/800 for $19 for modest workstation use.
                                      Linux is just fine on this.
                                      Anything else, I buy E8400, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R board, and Dominator XMS2 at 1066. This is as fast as I can get without really getting expensive.

Comment

There is not a significant difference between those two chips.
                                        http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...lon+XP+3000%2B
                                        http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...tium+4+2.80GHz

I say save your pennies and hold out for a good deal on a core architecture based system.
                                        Even a modest E2140 CPU kicks butt on either of the above.
                                        http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_look...40+%40+1.60GHz
                                        [And the mobo will probably have LOTS of room for upgrading the CPU later on.]
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

bgavin; wow, interesting
                                          I have not thought of it through that perspective before, so you mean to say there really is stuff that works better on a P4? Guess I was wrong all those years

No, but really, for office use (Excel and the likes) we know that any old 1Ghz machine with 512mb RAM and XP is just fine for the averge user
                                          But of course if you enter the realm of professional video editing or CAD/CAM use then there may be some merit to the faster bus yes

I still prefer the architecture used by the Pentium up to Pentium III, skipping the P4 and then the Core based ones and all AMD Athlon/Phenom based CPU's
                                          Their short pipeline makes the CPU have to wait shother when it actually does a cache miss and has to go all the way to RAM and back to find what it needed
                                          Yea, I'm a P4 (Netburst architecture) hater, please don't kill me

Comment

Working...
                                          X