X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial DISCUSSION

Enhance's UL is E166947.
    That looks like it -might- be what's on the PSU.
    Hard to read from here.

I'm kind of surprised.
    Enhance usually uses good caps.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

I think PCBonez is right, the UL number does look like Enhace's. The model number (ATX-2035FA) is listed on their UL page as well. I noticed something weird though - Bestec also has a PSU with the same model number. Coincidence?
      Last edited by momaka; 06-09-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

From what I can see the UL is E166547, which is nothing,

>>Enhance's UL is E166947.
        That looks like it -might- be what's on the PSU.
        Hard to read from here.<<

I think your right. I believe that is a 9, not a 5.
        Last edited by 370forlife; 06-10-2009, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Yes, it is E166947.

Here is a close up crop.

Attached Files

Comment

So it is definitely a real enhance, why does it have bad caps?

The one enhance I have has a mix of UCC and Teapo in it.

Maybe someone else who had it said "UCC? These are crap, I'll put some good YC caps in it."

Comment

Hmm.. Enhance PSU. Voltage Mode PWM controller.

Comment

OK, I removed the board out of the chassis.

I don't recognize this brand logo. They are all marked 105°C TK and are black with gold lettering

Tallest is 3300uF/16V (10mmx38mm)
                2 are 3300uF/10V (10mmx30mm)
                2 are 3300uF/6.3V (10mmx30mm)

On the original pix, the two smaller caps (both swelled):
                1000uF/10V and
                470uF/10V (black colour)

Recommendation on replacement caps?
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian C
                  Hmm.. Enhance PSU. Voltage Mode PWM controller.
                  Is that bad?

Comment

= YC = YANG-CHUN ...

It's a Y and a C with a band around it like the planet Saturn.
                    Like this:

Really goofy logo as logos go.

Attached Files

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Rosewill likes to use those in their lower end ATNG's and higher end solytech built units.

Though i've never seen another ATNG built unit with YC caps.

Comment

because of those HUGE image in the pictorial thread..

time for topcat to add some image resizing plugin (and update the vBulletin forum software, as there are some exploits for this old version used here)

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118048

just an example though.. no idea if it works with this ooold 3.0.13 version

Comment

I am having trouble locating any specs for these YC caps.

I need to find a replacement for 3300uF/16V. It is only 10mm diameter.

Can I use UCC EKMG160ELL332MJ40S?

It is available from Mouser.

Comment

I haven't found datasheets for YC yet. There probably aren't any available.

KMG is probably not adequate.

3300uF 16v 10mm is one of those hard to find sizes.
                            I would order some Samxon RS series from badcaps.net for those.
                            The RS 3300uF 16v is 10mm and RS is perfect for most PSU caps.
                            https://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=22

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

Originally posted by minitt
                              please comment on the biuld quality.

no fins on heatsink? that thing must run HOT

only one primary cap and it's an ost. ouch-o-rama

almost looks like a deer

definitely not for a p4. not even a PII

looks like flash without the function
                              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Seasonic S12-330 Still OK!

Hello.

I'm not quite sure if this is the way to post it,
                                but,
                                Does anyone want to discuss the pix I posted of the Seasonic S12-330 in the pictoral thread?

The PSU seems utterly unremarkable on paper but it is well made, reliable, efficient and has provided clean power 24/7 for over 3 years. I opened it up to see how it's doing after almost 4 years and then tested it at full load on a scope.

The only weakness obvious to me is that maybe the soldering isn't quite perfect with maybe a little slop and some leftover flux-looking stuff.
                                There are no burn marks on the board or on any of the parts.
                                Also, all of the Chemi-Con KZE output caps tested OK for ESR at about .02-.03Ω and none had the slightest hint of bulging.

Odd, but some of the KZE caps are 2200/16v in a 10mm can. I can't seem to find any direct replacements as KZE 2200/16 are usually 12.5mm diameter. The spots on the board appear to be marked for either 10mm or 12.5mm cans.

The heatsinks appear to work out well and keep the PSU very cool. There's even a small one for the Bridge Rectifier that may be a little hard to see in the pic.

Under the load test at around 330w, the PSU's fan barely sped up and the exhaust air was barely warm. Am I right in thinking that this indicates an over-built and very efficient PSU?

Rather than replace this incredible PSU with something newer, I merely extracted one of the ungainly Molex connector strings and replaced it with a single short SATA power connector to power the SATA DVD burner (one of the upgrades) The remaining single Molex string is now unused as the system uses no IDE hardware.

Have Fun,
                                Keri

PS. Even though Delta probably makes better PSUs, I still like Seasonic.
                                Mostly because they seem to last and run cool and quiet.
                                The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Seasonics are always good, will provide many more years of reliable service.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                                    = YC = YANG-CHUN ...

It's a Y and a C with a band around it like the planet Saturn.
                                    Like this:

Really goofy logo as logos go.

They're like the only company I've seen that makes yellow caps

I call them Yellow Crap

Comment

Originally posted by phaihn
                                      Is there a list of caps i need or should i just see when i open it sometime have to wait till i have the money plus i might end up have to buy a new PSU if this goes bad lol was thinking about doing that anyway but this will be intresting if it works.
                                      Whenever I recap a psu, usually I just replace all the 16v caps with 16v, 2200uf. Sometimes they will have 16v, 1000uf, or 16v 1500uf's. Just make sure they are not some weird diameter, usually 16v caps are 12.5mm, and will fit most psu's, except for those CWT antecs. Also, there is usually a 16v, 470 or 680uf, replacing that with a 2200uf is a waste, as this is just for the -12v rail.

Then 10v caps usually do the 5v and 3.3v. These are usually 10v, 2200uf and sometimes you may find a 10v, 1500uf. I just replace all 10v caps with 2200uf's. Again, make sure they are not some weird diameter, usually 10mm 10v caps will fit most psu's.

Then there will be smaller caps near the smaller 5vsb transformer, usually 50v, 47uf that filters the 5vsb. Replace that to avoid a high running 5vsb.

Comment

For the 3.3v rail, 2x 2200uF caps should be used as a minimum (or bigger if you have the space). You can use either 6.3v or 10v rated caps. I, however, prefer 6.3v to the 10v caps since they're cheaper and in some cases might last longer than 10v caps as the oxide layer is better preserved if the voltage is closer to the caps' rated voltage (at least that's what I heard from a few people here).
                                        For the 5v rail, 2x 2200uF should be used as well. Again, both 6.3v or 10v rated caps should work, but I think it's probably better to use 10v caps.
                                        For the 12v rail, 1x 1000uF 16v should be absolute minimum, and that's only if the power supply is used with an older 5v-based system (such as PII/P3) with 1 hard drive and minimum hardware. If it will be powering a P4 or some newer 12v-based system, consider 2x 1500uF to 2x 2200uF as a minimum. Most cheap power supplies only have space for 10mm dia. caps so those sizes might be hard to find. But if there's space for 12.5v caps, try 3300uF.
                                        For 5vsb, 2x 680uF should suffice, but it would be much better if there is 2x 1000uF (again, either 6.3v or 10v caps will be fine).
                                        The -12v and -5v (if present) usually don't need more than one or two small caps (in the range of 220uF to 680uF).

One thing not to forget, however, is that ESR and ripple-handling capability ratings are much more important than the uF rating. Of course ESR depends on the can size of the capacitor, so the bigger the capacitor, the lower the ESR (which usually also means that the uF rating will be larger). Just avoid getting general purpose capacitors that mgiht meet the uF requirements but are not low enough on ESR.

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                        Then there will be smaller caps near the smaller 5vsb transformer, usually 50v, 47uf that filters the 5vsb. Replace that to avoid a high running 5vsb.
                                        That's only if the power supply uses a 2-transistor design (the capacitor that 370forlife mentioned is actually used to control the 5vsb, hence why it's so important). This thread should help you identify if your power supply has it or not:
                                        https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6999
                                        Also everell's threads on the Bestec ATX-250 12E might be helpful as well.
                                        Last edited by momaka; 08-19-2009, 02:32 PM.

Comment

So id expect that my 500w Dynex PSU is no better then the 400 or 250w PSU they sell and just whaat do i need to recap it?

and how do you save your shortcuts from FF the faves stuff whare is it stored?
                                          Last edited by Phaihn; 08-19-2009, 07:47 PM.
                                          My Computer.
                                          AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                          Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                          Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                          500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                          1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                          2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Working...
                                          X