Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte 8I848P-G No Video

Hello Everyone,

I have a Gigabyte GA-8I848P-G which is inside a PC that a customer bought in recently.

It exhibits this strange issue where I cannot get any Video signal on my monitor.... I cannot hear any beeps either which probably means that something really serious has happened. I have checked the board all over and I cannot find any burnt MOSFETS, ICs or electrical traces. The board it self has 3300uf 6.3V Nichicon HM(M) caps around the CPU (I know they are crap caps but these caps seem all OK) and there is also a bunch of G-Luxon caps scattered here and there.... they are all 1000uf 6.3V but are all in good condition, no bulge or leak etc.

I changed the RAM, CPU, Video Card out and I got no change whatsoever.... there was still no video. I then changed out the Deer rebranded PSU and that didn't change anything at all. Next I tried to clear the CMOS by removing the battery for a while and that did nothing at all.
    I still get a blank video signal, but all the fans spin etc.

I was quite curious after a while and decided to open up the Deer rebranded PSU and It had a bad Koshin cap and another cap that had just some awkward logo on it.... but that too was bulged and leaking.

Right now I'm starting to notice that the southbridge gets really hot after a few minutes of bootup, in fact it even burnt me.... I'm not sure if the ICH5 southbridge is supposed to get that hot because it does get quite hot in my other PC with a Gigabyte 8IPE1000-G motherboard.... the ICH5 chip itself looks fine, no burn marks etc.

I've fixed this same PC on numerous occasions for the same customer but it has never been this bad.
    Last time (less than a month ago) they experienced bad PS/2 ports but they were fine when I tested it out.... odd.

I have tested the CPU, RAM and AGP Video card and they all work in my PC so it is safe to say that they are still OK.
    Right now I'm thinking that the Deer rebranded PSU caused all this nonsense but I cannot be sure.

I am definitely going to change that Deer PSU for a high quality ThermalTake or a similar one for the customer.

Oddly enough, the customer had told me that thier PC was working fine the day before and decided to use it the next day and the monitor kept saying "No Video Input".... I'll check with them again soon to make sure though.

Thanks.
    Last edited by stevo1210; 02-26-2007, 02:38 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Gigabyte 8I848P-G No Video

cheap psu sometimes overshoot on +5stby when the caps die.ala evilmachines.
    kills the southbridge.
    i have several imperial gx-xx series boards from emachines killed by +5stby overshoot from the bestec psu.
    one customer brought in an emachines box that melted its mouse to the mousepad and desk when its psu died.

Comment

I have seen several of those boards dead, on back side around agp slot it is browned from heat. Not sure what is going on, but seems like a junk board.

Comment

there's some fets between agp and ram slots

Attached Files
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Install a PCI video card and or test it with a Port80h diagnostic card

It could be a million different things
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Last time this happened on a motherboard I looked at, the south bridge and vga connectors were burnt from an "Austin" deer-rebranded power supply. I've used to use this board a lot for Intel builds. Take Per's advice and use an AGP or PCI video card. Try not to use one with super power requirements, though; a simple vesa-compatible radeon 7000 (what I always use for video problems) will do the trick.

Comment

Thanks Per Hansson and toastygoodness,

I have tried a PCI video card and I've had no luck whatsoever.... the display is still blank. I look at the MOSFETs around the CPU and they are fine because they havent meted or cracked at all.... but....

When I look at the positions where the MOSFETs are from underneath, the PCB has turned somewhat a brownish colour on top of the blue PCB.

From my experience, when this happens, it usually indicates that the MOSFETs were very hot at some point to make the PCB go a brownish colour.
              All I can guess now is that the Deer PSU was giving out very bad voltages to the VRM and caused the MOSFETs to overheat maybe??

Luckily the 3Ghz P4 Prescott CPU is still working fine in my other PC with an ECS 661FX-M motherboard. It is currently running DSL Linux pretty well so that probably means the CPU is still OK. As for the motherboard I'm not even sure where to start fixing it at.... If that is even possible.

I've inspected the 848P Northbridge and the ICH5 southbridge and it is not burnt at all but it does get quite warm, which is normal for these chipsets.

Thanks.
              Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Ooooh.... prescott... those are very hot! Did the computer have adequate cooling, I mean for a Prescott?

Comment

its not the cooling, its the demand it places on a shitty vrm
                  capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Originally posted by toastygoodness
                    Ooooh.... prescott... those are very hot! Did the computer have adequate cooling, I mean for a Prescott?
                    Thats a good question......... hmm.......... There was only one CPU fan inside the case.... there are no other fans.
                    The only cooling aid that the motherboard has is a Heatsink and thats it.
                    The graphics card also has a heatsink but since it is a Radeon 9250.... it doesn't produce much heat.
                    Well, at least the CPU fan has an air duct of its own but other than that, there aren't any fans etc. to cool the other components.

Thanks

Comment

I thought the chipset was the one that was having issues? Your monitor detects "no signal" or does it detects a signal but doesn't receive an image? Try maybe swapping cables... sometimes the cable is affected by that lame Deer PSU. Since you said that southbridge gets really hot, which is unlikely for an ICH5 that the heat coming off it is enough to get a burn from it, you can check if maybe some thermal material has come off the heat sink. A CPU fan is not enough to cool the computer. At least one case fan, I mean, that northbridge WILL get hot, which is normal. But the southbridge burning (by burning I mean you get a nasty red, inflammed bump and some scarring afterwards) you is not.

Comment

My monitor won't even detect any signal at all. It just sits there. The customer said that thier monitor said "No Input Signal" .... my monitor displays nothing on the screen. I put in a high quality HEC PSU and that didn't change anything either. The southbridge on the other hand gets really hot. In fact it burnt me last time I touched it.... The ICH5 southbridge on this board doesn't have a heatsink at all so it is quite odd that it gets very hot.

I had a very close inspection of the Deer PSU and it comes with very low quality caps from Sus'con, Koshin, Jun-Fu and one that has some symbol as a brand. Two caps have vented in it.... this is what I think killed the motherboard.

It is such a shame to see that a very good motherboard was killed by some piece of crap PSU.

Does anyone here know why this motherboard has GA-8i848P printed on the PCB and some cheapo printout sticker stuck on top of that text saying GA-8i848P-G???? I also searched the Gigabyte site for images of the board and the GA-8i848P-G image on the site (Also the one Willawake provided up above).... none of the images have that large gold heatsink on the 848P chipset. This board I have here has a flimsy alluminium heatsink that is about 1cm tall.... the gold Gigabyte heatsinks are very large.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                          The southbridge on the other hand gets really hot. In fact it burnt me last time I touched it....
                          It's bad. I keep boards like this as a source of components for other repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210
                            Does anyone here know why this motherboard has GA-8i848P printed on the PCB and some cheapo printout sticker stuck on top of that text saying GA-8i848P-G????
                            Thanks.
                            It's probably the same PCB for both versions, and they didn't bother to make an alternate silkscreen for the -G version. Not sure what the -G stands for in this case, but it's probably just an added feature (gigabit LAN?) which is left unpopulated on the cheaper version.

There was a link somewhere in this forum to a tour of the old ABit NF7 production line. The pictures showed the stack of boards ABit received from their supplier - they're all just empty boards with NF7 marked on them. ABit later decides which ones to populate as an NF7-S or whatever other variant. So the generic silkscreen is convenient for the board maker but confusing to everyone else.

I had a hard time figuring out what BIOS to install on an MSI board recently, and I bet the silkscreen confusion is why it got bad flashed in the first place.

Comment

yup, the motherboard is dead. Boy... I love Deer. if you live near a large open field of cement or asphalt, you should short it out and have some fun watching Deer Fireworks.

Comment

Just out of curiosity.... What exactly is wrong with it???? Is the ICH5 chip shorted or something like that?? Is this board fixable at all if I could find people with the right equipment??

I won't be fixing this board.... it will just end up in the spare parts pile with all my other "spare" hardware items.

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, the chip is internally shorted - this is usually caused by a voltage spike.
                                  It can be fixed - with hot-air soldering tool and replacement chip (and some practice).

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been back here for a while, but I got good news about this motherboard. The customer that bought this motherboard in, gave up on it and bought a brand new Pentium D 915 system based on the Asus P5PE-VM motherboard.... So they decided to leave this Gigabyte board behind.

Even though the Gigabyte motherboard was nearly two years old and out of warranty, I actually got it repaired. Actually it was replaced with another one to be precise. I had to pay $30AUD for after service at a computer store and they sent it into RMA.

The motherboard is great now. I'm currently running an Intel Celeron 2GHz processor on it and it seems quite stable. Most importantly, this time i'm using a Thermaltake 430W power supply so I don't blow anything again.

I also noticed that the new motherboard comes with Sanyo caps around the CPU. WG (M) series caps I think, but i'm not sure on that. The previous board had Nichicon HM(M) caps instead.

Thanks.
                                    Last edited by stevo1210; 04-07-2007, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                    X