Keyboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboards

Just looking for some opinions on keyboards in general. I've always been a big fan of the original IBM Model M clicky keyboards, in fact I'm using one to this day.

I have a couple computers on small desks that don't have room for these big IBM's, but I could never stand the feel of the newer membrane style keyboards. A couple that are tolerable are my black Dell USB keyboard, and my Logitech Cordless EX110 set.

Are there any other reasonably priced keyboards that have a good solid feel to them?

Another one I'd like to see on the market is the concept keyboards that have small color displays on each key, that change according to what software is running.

Re: Keyboards

My keyboard is about 10~15yrs old, Keypro 9001 model, clicky, with function keys on the left side as well as the top. The left side "F" keys are programmable as well. I love this baby, and I have 3 spares in the event it dies. New keyboards are absolute junk. I go through those like they're nothing. This one has been tough as nails. When its gets skunky with hand jam and soda spills, I dunk it under the water faucet with some simple green, let it dry, and she looks brand new again... Try that with a membrane keyboard...

I know I didn't help your question much, but I can honestly say, there's not a single keyboard I've seen lately that I'd recommend.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

the old microsoft keyboards were good. now they are becoming crap. the logitech are good but i find the typing position to be a little awkward.

Another one I'd like to see on the market is the concept keyboards that have small color displays on each key, that change according to what software is running.
      i remember that, did it ever become more than vaporware? they were going to release a 3 key unit but i didnt hear more.....still rather a waste of money...i hardly look at the keyboard when i am typing these days....
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

i stash every ibm clicky i find.
        new stuff is like typeing on mush.
        i only use cheapies when i go onsite to machine shops where there is a good chance of getting them full of chips and coolant/oil.

Comment

I liked the older Cherry keyboards,as those were really robust and have good klicking points.
          I have one older AT style keyboard from Cherry, which is working fine after a tough Simple Green mold layer removal (about 10milimeter thick, grown on coffee etc. causing some conductivity problems).
          Today it seems that a it needs a Logitech diNovo edge to get some decent separated micro switches, as even Cherry seemingly switched to cheap membrane style.
          Beyond that, i own a A4Tech Keyworks Office, which is very robust up to now (it survived a few sugary espresso, water and rough handling).
          At least compared with any Logitech membrane type ones, which from my experience do not survive any liquid accident.

Comment

I saw the DiNovo Edge earlier, is it a good keyboard?

Comment

I have quite a few clicky keyboards black from the production environment. I have cleaned the ones I use, though. Now 95% of what we buy at work is Dell.

Comment

My favorite to date is my KB-9910 from IBM. I don't like clicky keyboards, if clicky's are the ones that make loud CLICKY noises. How am I supposed to fool around on my PC at 3:30am, while everyone else is sleeping, with a CLICKY keyboard? hehe!
                Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

Duno, if the Dinovo is good, but at least it features some kind of switches.
                  The design is pretty neat, and there are good reviews on it.
                  But hey, i would never shell out 150€ for a a keyboard on a system which is meant for working.

Comment

My favourite keyboards would have to be older series of Logitech keyboards, because they are built very nicely and feel solid when I type something.... unlike the flimsy $5 generic keyboards that I had at the beginning of the year. ugh. they were horrible.... everytime I typed something, I could hear the other keys rattle.
                    The older IBM Rapidaccess keyboard were good too, but the rapidaccess drivers didn't work with XP so I sold it to a friend. That was a nice keyboard though....
                    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I've got a Logitech Elite Keyboard

I hate it, keys are way to stiff and noisy

Guess we all like different things... That DiNovo mentioned above looks like it has good keys, but I want a full size keyboard...
                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Maxxarcade
                        Just looking for some opinions on keyboards in general. I've always been a big fan of the original IBM Model M clicky keyboards, in fact I'm using one to this day.

I have a couple computers on small desks that don't have room for these big IBM's, but I could never stand the feel of the newer membrane style keyboards. A couple that are tolerable are my black Dell USB keyboard, and my Logitech Cordless EX110 set.

Are there any other reasonably priced keyboards that have a good solid feel to them?

That OLED keyboard is supposed to be uberEXPENSIVE when/if it comes out. Right now there is a 3button version for a lil over $100 it just has three programmable hot keys.

Just found the price on the keyboard, which they have for preorder.
                        approx. 1564.37 US$
                        approx. 1256.86 €
                        http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/
                        Here is the website for it.

Comment

I love clicky keyboards.
                          I have a usb apple keyboard on my linux, an older M$ on the pc and a clicky apple on the mac.
                          All my clicky keyboards are used on my PS/2 systems.

Topcat you forgot this heavenly keyboard. I would get it no matter what.

*click the photo*
                          Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Actually we were dicussing it, thats what I posted the price to, damn over $1000 for a keyboard. Though it is sexy.

Comment

Sexy is not the word for it.
                              I can see so much potential if they made it more available.
                              First thing I would do though would be change the graphics on the Ctrl, Alt and Del keys.
                              Find Nedry!

Comment

I grew up with a Model M and loved it.

I did use a Saitek Eclipse gaming keyboard, liked the feel, liked the lighting and it did not have the F-Lock crap. I spilled lots of alcohol in it and it still works. I just upgraded to the Eclipse II and like it even better, good feel, better lighting, 3 colors!

Comment

who remembers those microsoft natural keyboards?

I hate them. How the hell do you type on them?
                                  Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
                                    who remembers those microsoft natural keyboards?

I hate them. How the hell do you type on them?
                                    I do. I have a few friends that still use the Microsoft "Natural Keyboard". How the hell is that supposed to be natural??.... It's a very odd design.... I had to bend my arms out to use it.
                                    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I have on of those too, it is designed for 10 finger blind writers.
                                      It is very relaxing from my experience.
                                      You avoid the typist's cramp AKA RSI or tendonitis, by keeping your arms in a more relaxant angle.
                                      But ok, for gaming and two finger typing this no pleasure.
                                      Sad that they diminished from the market.

Comment

i tried one for a while but in the end didnt like it. I dont have pains since i started using a completely different keyboard and mouse in the office than at home.
                                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Working...
                                        X