ServSwitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ServSwitches

I was looking through an older Black Box catalog and I saw those 16+port ServSwitches.
    I really want to get one to cut down on the number of monitors I have and be allowed to access almost all of my systems. Out of all of the computers in my room, only five can be easily accessed. The rest require half an hour or so to make room for another monitor and crudely set it up for a while.

I have also noted hat the ServSwitch will work with Sun, SGI, mac and PC systems, all of which I have.
    Who here has experience with ServSwitches and who knows if this is the right choice?
    Also, will th fact that I will be using SGI's in the system require me to use a SOG monitor (like one of my P201's) for the main desktop or will it convert it to VGA in the switch?
    Attached Files
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: ServSwitches

It should be converted to VGA by the switch...
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
      Out of all of the computers in my room, only five can be easily accessed.
      Oh, CRYYY! ;_;

Hehe, I wish I had some cool old computers to goof with, and you're worried about having more than 5 going at the same time. I wish someone would give me some crazy old Unix box or other wierd proprietary machine just to browse the net with and stuff. That'd be kewl. 'Course, I'd do the same thing with my Dreamcast if the broadband hardware was ever supported in the US.
      Presonus Audiobox USB, Schiit Magni 3, Sony MDR-V700

Comment

you're worried about having more than 5 going at the same time.
        -one does video processing(mac)
        -one does photoshop(SGI)
        -one for coding(PC)
        -one for system 7 work(mac)
        -one for OS 9.1(mac)
        -one for gaming(PC)
        -one for java (sun)

...the list goes on. I have a problem with software working on one computer and not on another.

It should be converted to VGA by the switch...
        So if I ran an SGI through a servswitch and had a VGA monitor on the other end i would get a picture? cool.
        Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
          So if I ran an SGI through a servswitch and had a VGA monitor on the other end i would get a picture? cool.
          That's how it has worked with the KVM switches I have tried
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Do you sleep in there?

Comment

No, I sleep in the room over.
              It's not that loud.
              Find Nedry!

Comment

Man, I'd hate to pay your electric bill! God bless your parents.
                “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Man, I'd hate to pay your electric bill! God bless your parents.
                  Erm....

According to that I pay part of the bill.
                  Find Nedry!

Comment

Is that your own electric meter that tells you how much power you use alone? I can't even leave my PC on to defrag overnight without seeing it switched off in the morning
                    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Is that your own electric meter that tells you how much power you use alone?
                      In the corner is the main romex cable that feeds all the outlets in the room. I devised a wiring setup that allows this meter to tell me how much the ENTIRE room is using. I got the meter from one of my grandpa's experiments. He had it hooked up to the water heater so he could calculate how much he saved while the solar water heater was in use.
                      Find Nedry!

Comment

Working...
                      X