Bizarre NT4 network problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarre NT4 network problem

For the past few days, I've been having trouble connecting to my Windows server from the P3 machine in my room (running NT4). I can connect to the Internet, but cannot use the shared drives and printer that's connected to the server.

The IPConfig showed me the problem - the DHCP is assigning the subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0. Oddly, it's giving the correct subnet mask to other computers on my network.
    Changing the config of my P3 machine so that it uses a manual IP address and subnet mask, I rebooted. Now I can access the server, but there's no Internet connection!

I don't want to have to keep changing settings and rebooting depending on whether I want the network drives or the Internet - anyone have an idea how to fix it?

I wonder if the problem has something to do with DNS? I tried putting the ISP's DNS server addresses into the dialog box, but it said "To use DNS, you must specify a hostname". I don't know what hostname would be compatible with the ISP's systems, though...
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: Bizarre NT4 network problem

And the IP assigned by DHCP is in the same IP range?
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

not a network guru

I suppose the real question here is "why isn't the DHCP server issuing a correct configured IP address to the NT box? "
      (this situation does sound familiar thought?)

but on a fixed IP address

if you use a fixed IP you would need to set the Internet gateway address as "default gateway"
      (as in the modem or computer with the modem. IP address)

Graphic as an example ,from Win XP

but this page might be really morel relevant since you are using NT
      (about halfway down)

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...s/nt4dhcp.html

I suspect if you are getting a netmask of 255.0.0.0
      it sounds as if the IP is out of range (or it thinks its is)
      (how it got that way no idea)

did you change anything on the network or unplug, add a box? of some kind possibly reboot without the box on.

Just wondering, since by the sounds of it it was working but now not.

I always write down the settings cause its easy to forget something and end chasing around cause you missed something.

Its in all probability a setting not hardware.

something at this site may twig you to what it is, lots of guides and it puts its simply
      (might be more a case of where to start)

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...ls/Windows_NT/

Anyway thats how I thinks its suppose to work and there is more to networking then just that

HTH

Cheers
      Attached Files
      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

The problem remained after rebooting the computer (which should release and renew the DHCP IP), and even remained after power-cycling the router! The information on those websites isn't much help, because it assumes you're using a Windows NT box as a DHCP server - I'm using the DHCP server built into the router.

I'm not sure what happened, but the problem seemed to fix itself when I manually released and renewed the IP using IPConfig. At present I can browse the network drives/printers, and also the Internet, but I don't know how long it'll hold...

Regarding DNS, can I make up a hostname (something like P3COMP.HOME) and use the router's IP address as the DNS server? Or does it have to be the ISP's DNS server?
        You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Comment

Don't routers assign IP addresses based on a set time grant?
          So if the wrong IP/mask/gateway data is assigned to the NT4 box, then power cycling should only cause it to see the same box on the network and continue to give it the previous settings since the expiring time hasn't elapsed.

Windows has a nasty habit of assigning itself a default IP if DHCP is selected and it doesn't get an IP in a reasonable amount of time during boot.
          255.0.0.0 sounds familiar as the mask.

If you manually set IP for the NT4 box, the DNS server entry must be the gateway IP of the router.

Make sure the domain or workgroup entry is correct too. Or seeing networked drives is a PITA.
          “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
          We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

The site its self is fairly big which why I posted it, the page link was more for a reference of what you might find in window NT I should have made that clearer thought.

I dont have an NT box.

your issue does sound familiar thought I just don't have a direct answer for you. I know its happened to me but what the resolve was I don't remember
            (thats if I even found one, maybe manual release renew sorted so I just moved on)

Windows has a nasty habit of assigning itself a default IP if DHCP is selected and it doesn't get an IP in a reasonable amount of time during boot.
            255.0.0.0 sounds familiar as the mask.

Humm yeah your right on that and that possibly sounds like thats what happening ...the question is why? is the DHCP not issuing the address or the box receiving one.

losing connection does happen sometimes for whatever reason
            maybe its just an isolated thing (hopefully)

I'm not sure what happened, but the problem seemed to fix itself when I manually released and renewed the IP using IPConfig.
            I forgot to mention that DOH! (had it in my mind but forgot)

The other thing to make sure of is only one box, router, modem
            is acting as DHCP
            (trouble is they all most can these days and a crash may cause one to default as a DHCP, not saying this is your issue...just something to watch out for)

If its working as you intended at the moment write down the settings.

I tend to use fixed IP's.

the other thing to watch out for is devices that default to a different IP range

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...vateipaddr.htm

Now if I got this right

DNS is "Dominion Name server" and the ISP usually has 2 one as a fall back
            The idea is to take something like FRED.com and translate it back to the bunch of numbers it represents as an IP address so it can find it.

I think you can from memory use the Gateway as DNS
            (it may depend on your modem, router)
            (I think mine is and mine has the DNS of the ISP setup in it)

So yeah I think you can point your boxes to the modem or router thats acting as the gateway to the net for DNS
            I could have this wrong thought but I think its right

The host name (which can be a bit of a broad statement)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li...ary/l-lan.html

Ideally you give each device a unique name
            Your router or modem comes with a default name
            I would change it to something else

(like windows a a default network group "windows"..you never leave it as that)

So yes I think you can do it that way

I should add,
            there are right ways to setup a network and this is the way you should set one up. (not saying the above is right or wrong)

The trouble is that a wrongly setup network
            (were you may leave security holes etc)
            Can still work quite happily.

So I would do some searching on properly securing a network too.

Like I said not the Guru, so you will have to put a bit of reading and grey matter behind what I've said...I could be wrong.

HTH

Cheers
            You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
            X