Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anything less than 470uF usually bulge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anything less than 470uF usually bulge?

Does anything less than 470uF or 1000uF usually bulge ?

Re: Does anything less than 470uF usually bulge?

Usually ones below 470uF dont cause problems, but I have another way of determining if it will cause problems.

If it has a vent etched into the top, I usually inspect it.
    A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

I've seen 100uf up bulge. If it has a vent, it can bulge. No vent=mess.

Comment

its less likely but by "no means rule it out", its still very possible

As with any cap it depends on the circuit and how its being used (or abused) heat around it etc
        Type of brand/series also is it crap brand cap.

So as above at lest check/test them.

Cheers
        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

They usually don't vent, but since they are so small there is so little gas that could possibly build up so even if they have failed they still may not bulge...
          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

1000uF bulging is very common.

Like everyone else said about the 470's, it less likely but it happens.

As I recall some of the 470uF you asked about in the other thread are 8mm.
            An 8mm 470 is -probably- more likely to bulge than say a 5mm 470.

Failed caps don't always bulge.
            But bulged caps are always failed.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
              1000uF bulging is very common.
              Failed caps don't always bulge.
              But bulged caps are always failed.
              A nice conclusion!!

ESR meter or caps meter are always our best tool. Need to check the old caps by these meters even it is a good caps brand.
              My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

I've seen a lot of LELON 470uF and 220uF caps fail. However, as a rule, caps below 1000uF tend not to fail. A lot depends on the brand, LELON being the most common for sub-1000uF caps failing.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Right now in my "to do" boxes I have

2 bloated leaking 470/16v [8mm] Elite on an LCD inverter board.
                  2 bloated leaking 470/16v [8mm] Fuhjyyu (1 each in 2 different) Antec power supplies.
                  4 slightly plump 220/10v [6mm] Chhsi (2 each in 2 different) MSI boards.

And something between 100 and 200 various 1000uF to do.

The small ones bloat just not as often as larger caps.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Oops, brain fart...
                    The 470uF Fuhjyyu in the Antecs are 25v.

-

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    -

Comment

IMO, any of the Fuh-kyoo caps should be replaced as a matter of course.
                      Pure junk.

Comment

Well if it was me I would
                        You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

What about 0.1uF electrolytics?
                          Why do they use electrolytics that small instead of ceramics?

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly
                            Been wondering that myself and haven't figured it out yet.
                            -
                            That's a good enough theory question to warrant it's own thread so I made one here:
                            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=85736

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

I had bulging 470uF Hermei in an LCD monitor

But I also replaced the 22uF and 1uF Elites with Rubycons anyway

I guess the only real way to know is with the ESR and capacitance meter... (which I don't have yet) so I just replaced the lot. Makes me feel better anyway
                              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

I've had multiple 100uF and 220uF bulgers on different boards.
                                Usually Intel boards where they used 85c for the small diameter caps compounded by poor cooling from clogged fans.
                                Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-08-2009, 12:56 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly
                                  2 Reasons that come to mind.
                                  1 So they will fail
                                  2 because eletrolytics tend to have less resistance across them over ceramics.

Comment

With LCD monitor repairs I find it quite common pulling badly bulged 470uf and 1000uf caps, especially those that are physically small for their designed capacitance. I also have observed bad caps down to 1uf, but I would agree apparent bulging in low farad cans is not common, vented or not.
                                    But if you're thinking of leaving small caps on the board, consider that testing of the caps I've pulled, shows a good 50 % test OK with a good ESR meter...so why did I pull them ? Its like when a good mechanic tears and engine down for repairs, he doesn't just replace one valve or one ring or one bearing, he replaces them all for much increased life and reliability for a minimum of expense while the job is being done. So the extra few minutes and that extra buck or two replacing those caps on your board, will pay off in the long haul. Besides where's the fun... if you cut and run ?

Comment

just had an itox mobo with 220/16 and 470/6.3 ost badly bulged and bottoms blown out.no vents.the bung was the vent.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                        just had an itox mobo with 220/16 and 470/6.3 ost badly bulged and bottoms blown out.no vents.the bung was the vent.
                                        Weird - isn't ITOX a long-life brand? I'm amazed they'd use OST caps.

Comment

Working...
                                        X