Chrome wont open in Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome wont open in Ubuntu 14.04

Hi guys i had to reinstall Ubuntu 14.04 and now google chrome wont open,i tried everything, now to install chrome,you have to go to chrome downloads, i do that and ubuntu software opens and i install all good till i try to open it, it just doesn't open at all,any help please.

Re: Chrome wont open in Ubuntu 14.04

Gotta delete chrome's config files in your user dir. You'll lose bookmarks.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/48882...e-not-starting

Comment

run it from a console, you will be able to see the error message.

btw, it's full of spyware - use the clean version "chromium"

Comment

That was my initial (one time) impression too and I've given chrome a miss. I'm ok with FF for the time being. It's kinda grown on me. Everything seems full of spyware anymore unless you pay attention though.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
          it just doesn't open at all,any help please.
          Dependency hell!
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
            Gotta delete chrome's config files in your user dir. You'll lose bookmarks.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/48882...e-not-starting

i can't do this on firefox;! at least i don't know how to do it

OK solved:</p> 1) Open you file browser ("Files" in the launcher)</p> 2) Then go up to "edit" in the top of screen menu bar and select preferences.</p> 3) Then tick "Show hidden and backup files"</p> 4) Go back to your file browser and scroll down to ".local" and open the folder.</p> 5) Then open "share" folder.</p> 6) Open "applications" folder.</p> 7) Select every folder with chrome in it's name and trash (empty trash)</p> 8) Open the launcher "Search your computer and online sources" App in the launcher and search for Google Chrome and launch... </p> ...problem solved! – DiGwork Jun 27 '14 at 13:07

deleting all files in /home/USERNAME/.config/google-chrome/ which forces Google Chrome to regenerate all configuration and profile files. You should be able to do this with a single command:

rm ~/.config/google-chrome/*

when i type this in the terminal i get this;

frank@frank-ThinkCentre-M71e:~$ sudo rm ~/.config/google-chrome/*
            [sudo] password for frank:
            rm: cannot remove ‘/home/frank/.config/google-chrome/Avatars’: Is a directory
            rm: cannot remove ‘/home/frank/.config/google-chrome/Crash Reports’: Is a directory
            rm: cannot remove ‘/home/frank/.config/google-chrome/Default’: Is a directory
            rm: cannot remove ‘/home/frank/.config/google-chrome/Dictionaries’: Is a directory
            rm: cannot remove ‘/home/frank/.config/google-chrome/EVWhitelist’: Is a directory
            rm: cannot remove ‘/home/frank/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash’: Is a directory
            rm: cannot remove ‘/home/frank/.config/google-chrome/pnacl’: Is a directory
            rm: cannot remove ‘/home/frank/.config/google-chrome/ShaderCache’: Is a directory
            Last edited by ivtec; 02-08-2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

rm -rd --force ~/.config/google-chrome/*

you need to specify the options.
              r = recurse into subdirectory's
              d = delete
              force = dont ask y/n for each file

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                rm -rd --force ~/.config/google-chrome/*

you need to specify the options.
                r = recurse into subdirectory's
                d = delete
                force = dont ask y/n for each file
                thanks stj; can you believe this! the chrome page was hidden on the desktop all along,it was moved to one side under the unity apps,i've just moved the mouse under desktop launcher apps.

Comment

Working...
                X