Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At first Glance: The new WD VelociRaptor

Info on the drive.

Okay, so it is a a 10K rpm drive and so far the benchmark results have shown that the additional 2.5K rpm has sped reading and writing up but in all honesty I would be too scared to use the thing.

With more than six years of searching the internet and two boxes of hard drives stored in my basement I have never seen a drive that is so small yet requires such a massive heatsink (and if you narrow down the field to drives used in PC's and not proprietary systems, any kind of heatsink at all).
    Ventilation would be a must and if someone had these in a RAID configuration, well there better be at least two fans on that drive cage.

Other than that it seems like a good drive though with it's $300+ pricetag for just 300Gb of space I could not see myself getting one any time soon.
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Re: At first Glance: The new WD VelociRaptor

look at the specs... it only draws ~6W which is less than what most 3.5" disks need.
    2.5" disks run cooler anyway, so it's not gonna get MUCH hotter than a conventional 7.200rpm hdd with those fins I suppose.
    if there's a moderate airflow, a massive aluminium block would probably work, too.
    if the case design is crap however, even these fins won't help much. good they have a 5-year warranty.

not that i wouldn't trust it (WD is still on my personal "good" list) but you get TWO samsung HD103UJ (1TB, 32MB cache, yeah) for the same money.
    Last edited by kikkoman; 04-25-2008, 03:22 AM.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

looks like a SAS 2.5" with a sata connection instead, in a 3.5" frame

SAS 2.5" are already with many installations in enterprise rackmount servers
      first time i saw them i thought if it is so small how can it be reliable.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I would love to have this drive in an c2d laptop would make a really good desktop replacement.
        I hate expensive laptops with 5400rpm hdd`s only to get the runtime on the paper longer.

Comment

yes it would be a dual purpose machine. notebook and sandwich toaster
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I also thought about my laptop! But its to tall damnit!

Comment

Pentium, the heatsink is so big because it adapts a 2.5" drive into a 3.5" slot. It has too few fins to be able to cool a very heating drive, so the drive itself doesn't heat much or WD made a wrong heatsink. Only time can reply.
              I think high speed drives aren't really a bargain: too expensive as disk drives and not many advantages over SSDs: Raptor strong point is its reduced latency wen compared to normal hard disks, but it's still higher that flash based devices (4 ms vs typical 0.1 ms).
              Just my 2 cents.

Zandrax
              Have an happy life.

Comment

Working...
              X