X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 3

Some very worthwhile tweaks for it:
    http://howto.helpero.com/howto/Speed-Up-Firefox_31.html

I followed this, and added the adblock plus add-on, and load times increase exponentially!! On top of that, those stupid ad images on sites won't load anymore. It even kills the ad banner on this site, but I set it to allow it here, just to make sure its working.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Firefox 3

Originally posted by Topcat
    Some very worthwhile tweaks for it:
    http://howto.helpero.com/howto/Speed-Up-Firefox_31.html

I followed this, and added the adblock plus add-on, and load times increase exponentially!! On top of that, those stupid ad images on sites won't load anymore. It even kills the ad banner on this site, but I set it to allow it here, just to make sure its working.
    Topcat, the guide is useful for Firefox 2.* but don't follow it step-by-step with the 3.* release: bue to a lot of changes in FF3 code, changing default settings to those supposed optimal for FF2 may slow down a lot your surfing.
    Best method is exporting all your personal data (bookmarks, passwords, extensions, themes, ...), then make a new profile (run firefox --profilemanager then make a new one) and import your backup except settings: I did so when I upgraded to FF2 to FF3 beta 1 a few months ago and I don't regret having done it. The only settings safe to change are those disabling ipv6 if you don't use it.
    BTW, try using both AdBlock+ and NoScript: the first blocks ads, the second blocks all sort of script (Java, Javascript) and multimedia plugins (Flash, etc) for all except allowed sites.
    Of course I trust Badcaps so I allowed it for scripts and ads

Zandrax
    Have an happy life.

Comment

It made a lot of improvements for me.... it seemed slow to load prior.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Wow. I just installed the adblock plus on firefox 3 in Fedora. Like night and day. Everything is about 5x faster loading on average now.

Thanks for the heads up!
        A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

i guess everybody is now upgraded to firefox 3
          i am glad they improved downloading. i downloaded an entire set of drivers for a laptop yesterday and it was painless experience
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

its kinda pissing me off though.......guess i haven't got the right boxes checked. i hate that damned search engine thing to the right of the address.......then the drop down for addresses is frickin huge........i liked the short and sweet old one.....
            "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

uh.. i'm still using ff 1.0.4.. i guess it wont make any differences with only 20kBps i'm using now..
              days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by stretch0069
                its kinda pissing me off though.......guess i haven't got the right boxes checked. i hate that damned search engine thing to the right of the address.......then the drop down for addresses is frickin huge........i liked the short and sweet old one.....
                want some cheese with that whine?

i agree about the address box thing though. how huge. i guess they did not consider big monitors?
                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

bite me

"Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

I've been hooked on Opera for about a year now.
                    It just kills me when some one thinks it's named after Opera Winfrey.
                    I tell them not to download Opra, download Opera.
                    I don't go with the flaming fox or the blue E anymore.
                    Jim

Comment

Oprah Winfrey.

Here's mine regarding FF3.x Reason I haven't moved up to FF3.x on all of other machines I have just this one is FF3.x is only choice and FF pulled all the old FF2.x off.

I fixed the address bar back to classic version in FF3.x, but the scroll I hate that how this moves and in too big jumps. FF2 and prior had line by line scroll one arrow press move one line up or down and held down it scrolls one by one line rapidly yet still speed-readable after a keyboard repeat rate delay and instantly stop when released. Not the skidding to stop after I let go of key that what FF3.x do. I tried couple of add-ons but these seems not to what I wanted.

Help?

Cheers, Wizard
                      Last edited by Wizard; 08-29-2008, 06:58 PM.

Comment

http://www.liewcf.com/blog/archives/...ox-extensions/
                        although that won't work always...first see if smoothwheel has current version.

mozilla never got the capability to hide unused favorites, something ie6 has.
                        also you have uncompatible addons, and you have 20sec to start(ok, perhaps not on ff3, but 1st time you load it it's still pretty damn slow...). never got the option to save web pages as .mht files...
                        it didn't have "smooth scroll"(for ages) like ie has...

opera is probably better browser..it has nice preview of open tabs just by hovering over its headers....and it seems faster than ie or ff.

i use ie6 with activex turned off on win2k, and ie7 on xp.
                        tweaking ff(finding all extensions etc.) would take too much time...and some things would still be missing.
                        about tabs: wether you have them on top(like in ff and opera and ie7) or on bottom(ie in taskbar) when you open many ie6 windows, what's the difference?
                        opening too many windows in either is not really comfortable...so i dunno if tabs really solve the problem.
                        then again i tend to open too many tabs anyhow...it probably works ok for the majority.
                        i like opera's option to start just where i've left it, with million open tabs...hehe...
                        ff only restores session if it crashes, right?

Comment

I'm not using FF3 yet.
                          Heck, my Indigo barely chugs along with the old Mozilla browser.
                          Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
                            I'm not using FF3 yet.
                            Heck, my Indigo barely chugs along with the old Mozilla browser.
                            I found FF3 to be both faster and less memory hungry than FF2; there is only a pc without it, my old P 100 with 32 MB of ram and Windows 98 (so slow than even Opera is slower than IE6 ...). Of course, if you compare with FF1 or Mozilla up to version 1.4, the older ones are faster and lighter, no doubt.

Zandrax

P.S.: welcome back Pentium!
                            Have an happy life.

Comment

FF will start where you left off (in start options).

I like FF best, FF2 was getting porky with memory usage. Hope it'll be better. That was the original point to FF, lean and fast, but it went wrong somewhere. I still keep a copy of 1.07 around for those really slow P2 and P3s.
                              “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
                              We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                FF3.x is only choice and FF pulled all the old FF2.x off.
                                Originally posted by WNG
                                I still keep a copy of 1.07 around for those really slow P2 and P3s.
                                um... ever heard of the mozilla ftp ?

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/

Firefox 0.9.0 anyone?

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...-07-01-11-0.9/

you can even get testing builds of firefox 3.1 (codenamed "Shiretoko" for alpha 2 or "Minefield" for beta 1) there..

FFX 3.1 Alpha 2 ("Shiretoko")
                                http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...idates/build1/

FFX 3.1 Beta 1 ("Minefield")
                                http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...zilla-central/

latest 2.0.x version (i didn't deep-link so you can select your OS or localized versions if needed)
                                http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozi...es/latest-2.0/

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                                  um... ever heard of the mozilla ftp ?
                                  There is the archive ftp server too, useful if you need a FF 1.x or 1.5.x version too.
                                  I'd suggest a more recent browser on old P2-P3 boxes: with some ram (say at least 128 MB) they should handle Opera quite nicely. On Pentium's Indigo there is no choice: old versions or trying to compile the last one without knowing if it can run.

Zandrax
                                  Have an happy life.

Comment

Working...
                                  X