Antec advertises top quality Japanese capacitors in Signature Series PSUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antec advertises top quality Japanese capacitors in Signature Series PSUs

In recent months, a two-page advertisement of an Antec Signature Series power supply has surfaced in computer magazines.

The pictures show Rubycon 450V primary units, while most of the other capacitors were Nippon Chemi-Con (KZH series).

Hopefully, other Antec units will soon have Japanese electrolytics.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Antec advertises top quality Japanese capacitors in Signature Series PSUs

Yeah,
    They spend $3 more on caps and up the price $50.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

>and up the price $50

or more?
      less powerfull model is 250 and 850w is 300$

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...spx?i=3306&p=8

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic
        Hopefully, other Antec units will soon have Japanese electrolytics.
        They won't.

The Enhance made Truepower Quattros probably have primary caps from the Japanese brands (Teapo on the secondary), but on the rest of them they're going to stay with the cheaper stuff. They're not using Fuhjyyu anymore though, thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
          >and up the price $50

or more?
          less powerfull model is 250 and 850w is 300$

http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...spx?i=3306&p=8
          lol, i'll take six then
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

NOOOoooo!!! NOooooooooo!!!
            DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Friends don't let friends do Antec.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
              NOOOoooo!!! NOooooooooo!!!
              DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Friends don't let friends do Antec.

Antec used Panasonic UQs on both of my Smart Power 2.0s Primaries and Fukyuu on the secondaries so nothing has changed my TP 2.0 used Fukyuus on the primary and the secondary I gutted those out quick.

Anyhow so lets assume that they are all good caps on the primary and secondary so 3 more dollars is the cost to them for better caps and that equates to 50 bucks more for the consumer. Are you familiar with the old computer phrase does not compute ?
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-07-2009, 10:04 AM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Originally posted by Krankshaft
                Antec used Panasonic UQs on both of my Smart Power 2.0s Primaries and Fukyuu on the secondaries so nothing has changed
                No offense, but that's a little like judging General Motors from a single 1993 model. Antec doesn't even offer those two lines anymore, and they haven't even used that OEM in years. I can't remember the last time I saw Fuhjyyus in a new Antec, actually.

Sure, their newer low end stuff isn't much better, but it's not like there's not enough to complain about in their current offerings that we really need to haul out the long dead carcasses of the old Truepowers and Smartpowers to make a point

Comment

First impressions are lasting impressions .

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
                  Antec doesn't even offer those two lines anymore, and they haven't even used that OEM in years.
                  Unfortunately thats what all companies do when the failure rate is too high cut their losses and discontinue the line.

It's alot cheaper then issuing a recall if any customers complain in the warranty period shut them up with a replacement. Their inability to admit something was wrong till this day is infuriating.

Besides their newer PSUs aren't too hot either Teapos and OSTs?

Well they've learned something after all I'm sure those caps will last till the end of the warranty period.
                  Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-07-2009, 10:53 AM.
                  Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Yeah. Still, they do have some that don't use the crap. It's just too bad you need to own a mint to get one of them

Corsair's doing a far better job keeping quality levels up over the majority of their offerings. They do have other issues like loose heatsink screws, but in general they seem to love using Chemi-Con no matter how low powered the unit is.

Comment

Yeah I'm done with new Antecs I still love picking up the SPs cheap and recapping them though.

I think the temp controlled rear fan was a good idea they abandoned.

I bought my first SP because I was working towards a whisper quiet PC and it fit the bill.

But as for new supplies Corsair and Fortron all the way for me .
                      Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Single model?
                        -
                        Smart Power
                        Smart Power 2
                        True
                        True Power
                        True Blue
                        True Power II
                        True Power III
                        Neo (not HE)
                        -
                        Just to name a few models that spanned several YEARS.

-

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        -

Comment

Yeah the TPs and SPs were the only slices of heaven I had the honor to deal with.

I'm glad the paper trail goes back further.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                            Single model?
                            -
                            Smart Power
                            Smart Power 2
                            True
                            True Power
                            True Blue
                            True Power II
                            True Power III
                            Neo (not HE)
                            -
                            Just to name a few models that spanned several YEARS.
                            I was attempting to make a point that the models being discussed are no longer being offered, not to say that Antec had only one bad model.

They actually go back even further than your list to the original Smartpower series, the "pp" line. And CWT's own equivalents, too. You don't have to tell me they were bad, I've owned and recapped several of them. But again, these models are ancient history. They're not being made anymore. Antec isn't using that OEM anymore. Heck, the OEM in question doesn't even use Fuhjyyu on most of their stuff anymore. Things have changed, even if it wasn't much of a change for most of the people here. That was the point I was trying to make. And I think I've made it, so I'm calling it quits on this thread.

Comment

I understood that part of your point but the rest and you analogy were invalid.

Antec has a LONG history of selling sub-par equipment at premium prices
                              - for nearly a decade.
                              - via several OEM sources.

I do not see any reason to believe their overall business strategy has changed just based on no longer using a particular brand of cap or in changing who builds the parts to their order specifications.

Their habit is to build things as cheap as will just barely make it past a warranty,,
                              and to charge more than other brands that use quality parts in comparable equipment.

I will never by an Antec product new.
                              They are not worth the price.
                              End of story.

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

i dont think i gave a shit let me check no i didnt. i will continue to buy corsair which is reasonably good product at reasonable price. if in the future i have fails then i may change but none yet.
                                capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Hello.

I took apart a Delta sourced Antec Earthwatts 500D

UCC all over except for some 10v and 6.3v CapXon and Ltech.

Not too terrible at all.

Probably they just threw in those CapXon and Ltech to maintain their reputation.

Have Fun,
                                  Keri

CapXon isn't usually THAT bad.... are they?
                                  The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

I was under the impression all the newer Antec lines were much better now. Earthwatts were good and all that.

I'm generally a Corsair user but I've used a couple Earthwatts in people's PCs. They were Seasonic-built though, not sure how much changed with the OEM change to Delta.

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
                                      CapXon isn't usually THAT bad.... are they?
                                      CapXon are supposedly like Teapo and okay in PSU's.
                                      I haven't had that many CapXon is PSU's myself, that's what I've gotten reading in other places.

About the time I'm thinking they are 'definitely' okay in PSU's I find out CapXon are a big problem in PSU's in various LCD TV's. - On the other hand those particular PSU's are usually passively cooled and run HOT.

My best guess is CapXon are okay as long as there's a fan in the mix somewhere.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

Originally posted by Oklahoma Wolf
                                        No offense, but that's a little like judging General Motors from a single 1993 model.
                                        That is exactly what I did with GM in 1977. It has been 32 years since, and I've never owned a GM vehicle again. When I think I made a mistake, one look through Consumer Reports at all those Black ratings, for all those GM vehicles, for all those years, lets me know my decision was correct.

The same applies to Antec.

Premium caps on the primaries, and not the secondaries?
                                        I have never seen a primary side cap failure. It was always the Fuhkyoos and other cheap craps on the secondaries that self destructed.

It will snow in Hell before I use another Antec, even those with the hugely inflated price tags.

Comment

Working...
                                        X